Why You Should Make Foil Pack Dinners Even if You’re Not Camping
The true genius of camping food lies not with s’mores and canned beans but with foil pack dinners. Even if you’re not roaming the woods, foil pack dinners are a lifesaver on weeknights. They require very little preparation and even less cleanup. All you need is about a square foot of foil, some meat, and your favorite vegetable to get things going. Chicken and broccoli is an unbelievably simple combo that never gets old, because it’s the perfect canvas on which to play with herbs and spices.
Constructing Your Masterpiece
- To put together your foil pack, you need a 12-inch piece of foil, one chopped-up chicken breast, and four or five broccoli florets. Add everything onto the center of your foil in a single layer.
- Then choose your flavor combos. I like to add a teaspoon of dill, a drizzle of olive oil, and half a teaspoon of both cracked black pepper and sea salt. Alternatively, if you want some Asian flair, try adding two tablespoons of soy sauce, a teaspoon of brown sugar, and a sprinkle of black pepper.
- Mix everything together so that you coat your broccoli and chicken evenly. Finally, arrange three thin slices of lemon on your chicken. Fold up all 4 sides of each foil packet and cover the contents completely.
- Place the foil pack on the grill and let it cook for 25-30 minutes.
- Garnish with parsley, or for the Asian-style, with cilantro and sesame seeds.
You can also try different combinations of flavors like dijon mustard and thyme, rosemary and lemon, or chipotle and lime.
While chicken and broccoli is a great standby, try these options (or any others you dream up).
- chicken + potatoes
- shrimp + corn
- white fish + tomatoes
- salmon + asparagus
If you’re craving more foil pack dinner ideas, follow us on Pinterest for inspo!
(Recipes and photos via Jessi Devenyns / Brit + Co)
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)