14 Ways to Dress like a NYFW Street Style Star on a Budget
Fashion Week is so much more than a chance to ready your next-season style wish list — it’s the perfect place to gather much-needed mid-season style inspiration. But the right-now outfit inspo doesn’t come from the runway itself, but rather the streets, where the fashion set — style bloggers, editors and It girls — strut their stuff in carefully curated outfits that are down-right dreamy. If fashion month gives you a serious case of FOMO, brush it off. You don’t have to be swimming in invites to get in on all the action. Just shop this hand-picked list of under-$100 finds to give your style repertoire a dash of street style star edge.
1. ASOS Bomber Jacket With Zip Detail ($95): Bomber jackets are going to be big this spring, so be prepared to see them popping up on the streets all fashion month long. Get a head start on your own new-season style by dressing one up It-girl style with a flowing frock or sporty sheath dress and ankle boots.
2. Front Row Shop Oversized Color Block Sweater Dress ($85): No Fashion Week is complete with a bit of artful layering. Oversized sweaters and midi skirts? Straight-up sartorial gold, and a look you can effortlessly rock both on and off duty. Take the foolproof combo to the next level by creating dramatic contrast with fabric and color.
4. Topshop PU Pleated Midi Skirt ($100): Bold color is a shortcut to a standout look, but it’s not the only way to make a statement. Meet the understated piece redefining power dressing: a pleated leather skirt in a powdery pink hue. The fusion of flirty feminine and femme fatale styles is a total game changer. Make it ready for the boardroom with a sleeveless turtleneck tunic and belt. Crop tops, oversized sweatshirts and leather jackets take it into off-duty-cool territory.
6. ASOS City Maxi Stripe Column Dress ($66): Traveling light doesn’t have to mean compromising on style. No matter what your destination — NYC, Paris or your favorite small-town locale — incorporate a multifunctional piece with plenty of personality. Toss a biker jacket over this striped stunner and you’re good to go; accessories and footwear will switch up your look from day to night.
7. H&M Jacquard Knit Top ($40): Your basic tee gets a major boost with look-at-me graphics and contrasting color. It would be perfect layered under blazers (even on the job) or playful pinafores, or paired with cropped jeans.
8. Topshop Premium Shearling Clutch ($95): While you don’t want to outshine that killer mani, this shearling-trimmed clutch is too good to pass up. It might feel intuitive to take the rest of your outfit in a more minimalist direction to create balance, but a vivid backdrop will really make this soft, textural gem pop.
9. Mango Belt Straight-Fit Trousers ($80): Good news for (fashion-forward) lazy girls everywhere: Culottes and wide-leg pants aren’t going anywhere in 2016. And that means endless on-point outfits with comfort built right in. Style these belted bottoms up with printed blouses and slip-on flats for a relaxed-yet-refined look.
11. Cooperative O Loop Belt ($29): You don’t need dozens of new duds to keep your wardrobe feeling fresh. Give new life to classic coats, A-line dresses and tunics, all with a super simple, budget-friendly accessory: a sleek belt. Knot it up for a hot-off-the-runway look.
13. H&M Shoulder Bag ($35): When you want to go hands-free (hello, dance floor), a crossbody bag is it. Skip the mini bag and channel some serious Jane Birkin vibes with a saddlebag style. The cool carryall has a subtle laid-back edge and provides plenty of space to tote your can’t-live-without-them items.
14. Forever21 Contemporary Front Slit Pencil Skirt ($20): No matter what you’re wearing on top — tees and sweatshirts included — a pencil skirt gives any ensemble an Insta-worthy boost. Add drop earrings and pointed-toe boots for an extra-polished finish.
Your relationship with your finances is one of the most important relationships you'll ever have, and you can't avoid it. That said, for many of us, the pandemic only added to our financial stress. If you find yourself feeling frazzled, just remember that financial insecurity isn't a net-worth issue — it's a mindset issue. And, we happen to have plenty of advice on how to turn your money mindset around so you can take charge of your funds once and for all.
To start, feeling secure begins with a strong foundation, and there's no better time than now to get started stacking the bricks. It's easy to get swept up in the January "new year, new me" mentality, but really? Any time is the right time to get yourself in order. You don't need to wait for a new year, a new moon, the right moment, or a sign from above. You don't even have to start on the first day of the month — you just need to start.
Introducing NerdWallet: A Safe and Reliable Money App
To help with that, we've put together a list of the just-right-for-you ways that NerdWallet can help you monitor your financial outlook. Haven't heard of them yet? NerdWallet is a personal finance company that helps consumers make smarter financial decisions. Their website and app let you compare different financial products, find articles and tools to make financial decisions with confidence, and keep tabs on your finances (hey there, credit score, I see you!) all in one place. Plus, NerdWallet has over 75,000 glowing reviews in the App Store (and a 4.8 star rating) if you want to read up on any more testimonials.
Tim Chen, NerdWallet's CEO and co-founder, started this financial journey in 2009 after his sister needed help finding a credit card. Even with an economics degree and a Wall Street background, it took awhile for Tim to find the right recommendation (so don't feel too bad when it takes you a while, too). Their mission is to bring clarity to all of life's financial decisions.
So it's safe to say that NerdWallet is a pretty good sherpa for your journey, too.
Get the most from your money
Did you know that the money you park in a savings account can lose value? Harsh, but true. If your money isn't earning interest that's on pace with inflation it will actually be worth less to you in the future. And if the bank charges fees? Forget about it. Make sure you're earning the interest you deserve and come out on top. NerdWallet has researched dozens of financial institutions to help consumers find the best options. The hard work has already been done for you, so you can just select the account that works best for you and your nest egg.
Keep an eye on everything, securely
Once everything is set up, tracking and managing your finances is what will keep the money machine running smoothly. You can create an account either through the site or the app and link your bank accounts, then keep tabs on all your finances in one place. Get a clear picture of your saving and spending, get insights into how to master your money, and even build your credit score all in one place.
Get extra credit points
Do you have the best credit card for your lifestyle? Some cards give cash back on every purchase, ones with travel perks, and ones that charge way less interest than you're paying now. NerdWallet takes the guesswork out of choosing the right credit card with simple side-by-side comparisons of different credit cards so that you feel confident choosing the right one. Whatever you want to do, NerdWallet can help you find the best credit card to get it done.
Know your options for settling down
Mortgage rates are pretty low and it looks like they're going to stay that way for awhile, so buying a home might be the move sooner than you think. But there's so much more to a mortgage than just the interest rate! To help you choose a mortgage lender, NerdWallet has in-depth reviews on multiple lenders in a mixture of categories so you get the home loan with the mortgage rate, term, and fees that's right for you.
Settle an old score
NerdWallet helps you monitor your credit score for free and helps you see how little things (like raising the limit on your credit card or paying your bills on time) can increase your score. NerdWallet partners with TransUnion® to provide your VantageScore® 3.0, based on information in your TransUnion® credit report. Your score and credit report information are updated weekly. But that's not even close to all:
- They provide you with tips from experts on how you could build or optimize your credit score
- You'll get a detailed look at your credit score and all the factors that go into it—your payment history, credit utilization, the age and type of accounts, balances, and any recent inquiries
- The credit simulator tool gives you an idea of how your credit score would change if you applied for a new credit card, closed your oldest credit card, or got a new auto loan
- You also get free, unlimited access to your credit report
When it comes to managing your money, safe and reliable is where it's at. Establishing a healthy relationship with your finances begins when you take control and practice habits that build wealth. Signing up just takes a few minutes. Set your intentions to build a solid financial foundation, it will only strengthen your relationship with your finances. And don't be afraid to get a little nerdy while you're at it.