14 Ways to Dress like a NYFW Street Style Star on a Budget
Fashion Week is so much more than a chance to ready your next-season style wish list — it’s the perfect place to gather much-needed mid-season style inspiration. But the right-now outfit inspo doesn’t come from the runway itself, but rather the streets, where the fashion set — style bloggers, editors and It girls — strut their stuff in carefully curated outfits that are down-right dreamy. If fashion month gives you a serious case of FOMO, brush it off. You don’t have to be swimming in invites to get in on all the action. Just shop this hand-picked list of under-$100 finds to give your style repertoire a dash of street style star edge.
1. ASOS Bomber Jacket With Zip Detail ($95): Bomber jackets are going to be big this spring, so be prepared to see them popping up on the streets all fashion month long. Get a head start on your own new-season style by dressing one up It-girl style with a flowing frock or sporty sheath dress and ankle boots.
2. Front Row Shop Oversized Color Block Sweater Dress ($85): No Fashion Week is complete with a bit of artful layering. Oversized sweaters and midi skirts? Straight-up sartorial gold, and a look you can effortlessly rock both on and off duty. Take the foolproof combo to the next level by creating dramatic contrast with fabric and color.
3. Nila Anthony Rock the Tote Mini Bag ($58): A chic tote is an essential for girls on the go. Give your go-to bag a runway-ready upgrade with a sleek, minimalist silhouette and black metal hardware with a badass edge. The neutral hue goes with just about everything in your closet, making it a natural choice for your cool-weather capsule wardrobe.
4. Topshop PU Pleated Midi Skirt ($100): Bold color is a shortcut to a standout look, but it’s not the only way to make a statement. Meet the understated piece redefining power dressing: a pleated leather skirt in a powdery pink hue. The fusion of flirty feminine and femme fatale styles is a total game changer. Make it ready for the boardroom with a sleeveless turtleneck tunic and belt. Crop tops, oversized sweatshirts and leather jackets take it into off-duty-cool territory.
5. Bauble Bar Ishigaki Drops ($34): Fashion bloggers, editors and It girls have teams behind them making sure they show up to every event looking flawless, while IRL you rely solely on your (finely tuned) style smarts. And that’s why big-impact accessories are so key. You can count on pieces like these beaded tassel earrings to inject new energy and life into any nine-to-five outfit without taking up loads of space.
6. ASOS City Maxi Stripe Column Dress ($66): Traveling light doesn’t have to mean compromising on style. No matter what your destination — NYC, Paris or your favorite small-town locale — incorporate a multifunctional piece with plenty of personality. Toss a biker jacket over this striped stunner and you’re good to go; accessories and footwear will switch up your look from day to night.
7. H&M Jacquard Knit Top ($40): Your basic tee gets a major boost with look-at-me graphics and contrasting color. It would be perfect layered under blazers (even on the job) or playful pinafores, or paired with cropped jeans.
8. Topshop Premium Shearling Clutch ($95): While you don’t want to outshine that killer mani, this shearling-trimmed clutch is too good to pass up. It might feel intuitive to take the rest of your outfit in a more minimalist direction to create balance, but a vivid backdrop will really make this soft, textural gem pop.
9. Mango Belt Straight-Fit Trousers ($80): Good news for (fashion-forward) lazy girls everywhere: Culottes and wide-leg pants aren’t going anywhere in 2016. And that means endless on-point outfits with comfort built right in. Style these belted bottoms up with printed blouses and slip-on flats for a relaxed-yet-refined look.
10. Contemporary Textured Culottes Jumpsuit ($33): Proof that overalls can be sophisticated (yet still affordable), this zip-front onesie offers countless sartorial opportunities. Wear it with a Victorian-inspired blouse and block heels for a modern take on ladylike elegance, or pair it with a turtleneck and snakeskin ankle boots for a bit of contemporary attitude.
11. Cooperative O Loop Belt ($29): You don’t need dozens of new duds to keep your wardrobe feeling fresh. Give new life to classic coats, A-line dresses and tunics, all with a super simple, budget-friendly accessory: a sleek belt. Knot it up for a hot-off-the-runway look.
12. Brixton Leonard II Hat ($92): Like Anna Wintour’s iconic sunglasses but for your head, a structured wool hat injects an element of mystery to any getup (keeping ’em guessing is always a good thing). And for those times when the dry shampoo just isn’t cutting it, it’ll swoop in to save the day.
13. H&M Shoulder Bag ($35): When you want to go hands-free (hello, dance floor), a crossbody bag is it. Skip the mini bag and channel some serious Jane Birkin vibes with a saddlebag style. The cool carryall has a subtle laid-back edge and provides plenty of space to tote your can’t-live-without-them items.
14. Forever21 Contemporary Front Slit Pencil Skirt ($20): No matter what you’re wearing on top — tees and sweatshirts included — a pencil skirt gives any ensemble an Insta-worthy boost. Add drop earrings and pointed-toe boots for an extra-polished finish.
For more style inspo, check out our Pinterest!