12 Green Cleaning Tips That Will Save You Money
As members of the generation raised on the Roomba and the frozen microwave dinner, we’ve missed out on the household lessons needed to juggle dust bunnies and protect the environment. Luckily, cleaning Grandma-style is often both cheap and environmentally friendly. And now it’s time to check out 12 green cleaning tips that won’t break the bank or your back.
1. DIY Furniture Polish: Rescue family heirlooms and garage sale treasures marred by misuse with an all-natural polish that doubles as a scratch filler. Rub a shelled walnut into deep scratches and its oils will serve as a natural camouflage. (via Design Sponge)
2. Clean Your Floors Without the Chemicals: Turns out hot water and tea bags are all you need for a bright, shiny wood floor. Have tile? Your job’s even easier. Warm water alone will cut it. (via DIY Network)
3. Clean Your Window Tracks: Soap, water and elbow grease are all that’s needed for dirt-free, squeak-free, easy-to-raise windows. Even if you’ve been putting off this task for longer than you care to admit, we promise you can handle that. (via The Real-Life Housewife)
4. De-Mildew Your Washing Machine: Though it may seem illogical to clean a machine that you run detergent through on a weekly basis, your washing machine can actually be a hiding place for mold and mildew. Chalk it up to being warm and damp, like the towels in your hamper, and banish the mold with vinegar! (via A Bowl Full of Lemons)
5. Clean Microfiber Furniture: You bought that microfiber couch because you thought it would resist stains… turns out it does, but it isn’t so tough against plain old dirt. Make it like new with rubbing alcohol. (via 551 East)
7. Shampoo Your Own Carpets: Never pay for a professional carpet cleaner again! All you need is vinegar, borax, salt and a vacuum! (Maybe rent a steam cleaner if your carpets are really bad. It’s worth it.) (via Apartment Therapy)
8. Green Clean Your Grout: Baking soda and vinegar come to the rescue once again. Bonus? The toothbrush is optional. If your grout isn’t too bad, you can just wipe away the cleaner with a damp rag. (via Apartment Therapy)
9. Homemade Garbage Disposal Refreshers: You sanitize your sink, but aren’t sure how to de-grossify the drain? Worry no more. You can also follow a real retro tip, and pour boiling water down sink to make sure your pipes are flushed. (via POPSUGAR)
10. Improve the Quality of Your Dishwasher With Vinegar: Yep, another cleaner you have to clean. Get rid of leftover food, soap scum and dirty water with white vinegar. (via One Good Thing by Jillee)
11. Clean Refrigerator Coils: Potentially the least pleasant task on this list, cleaning fridge coils is vital to a clean, green home. Clean coils will save you money when it comes to your energy bill, and they’ll prolong your fridge’s life. Which is pretty cool, even if your fridge can’t be as cool as these. (via DIY Life)
12. Clean Your Oven With Baking Soda + Vinegar: The household dream team, vinegar and baking soda, to the rescue once again. This method is much more pleasant than running your oven’s clean cycle. (via The Graphics Fairy)
Have you ever used any of these tricks? Share some of your green cleaning tips with us below or Tweet us @BritandCo.
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)