18 Harry Potter Costumes for Halloween
There are soooooooooo many different things to be for Halloween. That's why we always attend more than one (two, three or even four) parties throughout the fall holiday season. One universe that provides plenty — seriously endless — ideas for Halloween cosplay costumes comes courtesy of J.K. Rowling's universe. The world of Hogwarts and its many, many, many characters (you too can be someone other than Harry Potter) is a treasure trove of inspo. Check out 18 of the best Harry Potter-themed Halloween costume ideas below, then magically recreate your own version in time for some festive affairs.
1. Harry Potter: Throw on a cloak, hop on your Nimbus 2000 and soar above the other Halloween costumes. (Photo via @carmenvalentina)
2. Ron Weasley: If you aren’t into wizards robes, try a comfy Weasley family sweater with an “R” across your chest instead. Bonus perk: You can totally rock it after Halloween season is complete. (Photo via Alicia Sivert)
4. Albus Dumbledore: You don’t have to actually be old to become the wise, old wizard. All you really need is a long beard, a gold-studded robe and quotable wisdom to spew out all night long. (Photo via Jengerbread Creations)
5. Voldemort: It takes a lot of makeup to become He Who Must Not Be Named, so if you’re prepared to breathe through tiny nose slits all night long, you should be up to the challenge of playing the part of this evil wizard. (Photo via Deviant Art)
6. Severus Snape: After all these years you still want to dress up as Professor Snape? Always ;) (Photo via @orleash)
7. Draco Malfoy: You’re bound to have at least a little more fun if you Slytherin to a Halloween party as the most famous member of the darkest Hogwarts House. (Photo via @limitstorm)
8. Dobby: Dress up your dog, dress up your newborn, dress up your kitty. You can’t go wrong with the House Elf for your tiny family members. Just make sure not to give them a sock — you don’t want them to be set free juuuuuuuust yet. (Photo via Sisters, What!)
9. Rubeus Hagrid: You know you’ve always wanted to spend the night walking on stilts — here’s your chance. Impress your friends with more than just the height and beard by showing up on a Hippogryph and you’re sure to win best costume and be the talk of your group for the next year. (Photo via Robbins Studios Photography and Fine Art)
10. Luna Lovegood: If you’re loony and you like it, here’s your only Halloween costume option. (Photo via @silhouettecosplay)
11. Bellatrix Lestrange: All black everything + an evil cackling laugh = this sinister witch’s look. (Photo via @f_lovett)
12. Sirius Black: Bring Harry’s Godfather’s mugshot to life with this prison(er of Azkaban) look. (Photo via @padfootrose)
13. Alastor “Mad-Eye” Moody: If you can find or make yourself a marble eye to complete this look, not only will your HP costume look super cool, but you’ll most definitely be scaring the crap out of everyone as well. And isn’t that what Halloween is all about? (Photo via @alexbakerphoto)
14. Dolores Umbridge: Put on all your pink, grab your cats, sip some tea and be as passive aggressive as you possibly can all night long. If you succeed in all of that, you’ll be embodying this wizard perfectly. (Photo via @sbmorris75)
15. Sybill Trelawney: Into tea leaf reading, bohemian outfits and bottle eyeglasses? This is the look for you. (Photo via @nilskatla)
16. Ginny Weasley: You know you’ve already dreamed about becoming Harry’s girl. Here’s your chance. (Photo via @morganamoonstone)
17. Hedwig: Switch up the typical owl costume look with this majestic, Queen-like one to truly soar in the costume department. (Photo via @smithersby)
18. Moaning Myrtle: This should be fun. Make yourself look ghostly, throw on a tired-looking school outfit and cry hysterically all night long. It will be a highly entertaining evening for you and everyone involved. (Photo via Kate Johns)
Not into any of these Harry Potter characters for Halloween? Try a couple’s costume a la Remus Lupin and Nymphadora Tonks. Do a family costume and become Dudley Dursley, Aunt Petunia and Uncle Vernon (or the entire Weasley fam). Turn yourself into a different Hogwarts universe pet — Crookshanks, Mrs. Norris, Fang, Fluffy, Aragog, Buckbeak, etc. Or even get wiser by dressing up as a professor by way of Gilderoy Lockhart, Minerva McGonagall or Horace Slughorn. Whatever you choose, it’s bound to be magicial. Especially if it’s a DIY Harry Potter costume!
Will you be dressing up like a Harry Potter character this Halloween? Let us know who in the comments.