10 Yummy Food Swaps for an Ultra Healthy Picnic
Not much can trump a gorgeous day spent eating and drinking on the beach or picnicking in the park. Whether you’re on a playful first date, sprawled out reading a new book about work to remember how much you love summer or hanging out with friends in your go-to garden, packing your picnic basket with healthy eats and drinks can help you keep your energy levels high all day long. Read on for 10 super simple swaps you can make to get fab nutritional benefits while snacking on tasty treats. Yum!
1. Perfectly Portioned Rosé Instead of a Pitcher of Sangria. Sangria is a fruity and fun picnic drink, but it’s packed with tons of sugar and can go down a little too easily. Swap your drink out for a mini bottle of crisp rosé, like our fave, Les Dauphins Cotes Du Rhone Rosé (price varies). You’ll enjoy just the right amount.
2. Nut Butter Instead of Cheese Spread. Leave the cheese spread at home and snap up some packets of almond or cashew butter for crackers, or pair them with fruit instead. Packed with protein, nut butter will keep you more full and prevent unnecessary noshing later.
3. Whole Grain Crackers Instead of Bread. Who doesn’t love to enjoy a freshly baked baguette during a picnic in the park? We sure do. Unfortunately, our adored picnic carb doesn’t have as much fiber as equally enjoyable options. Make a simple swap and grab a box of whole grain crackers to add in the nutritional benefit of quinoa, pumpkin seeds, flax or whatever you choose, for a healthier fix.
4. Protein Snack Bites Instead of Cookies. Cookies, brownies, cakes… oh my. Since you have to have something sweet in your picnic basket, think about toting along a batch of delicious protein-packed snack bites. They’re as easy to share as the more traditional treats AND they’re better for you. What a win-win.
5. Soda Water Instead of Tonic Water. If you’re crafting cocktails or mocktails, switching out tonic water for soda water can save you tons of calories and added sugar. If the taste with soda is too strong to bear at first, drop a few slices of fruit into your drink, add more ice and a splash of all natural fruit juice, and sip slowly. We promise you’ll be refreshed in no time.
6. Fruit-Infused Water Instead of Caffeinated, Iced Drinks. Staying hydrated is essential when you’re spending a day in the sun, so make sure you bring plenty of H20 with you. Though caffeine *doesn’t* actually cause dehydration, it won’t exactly help you stay hydrated either. Sip smartly to avoid headaches and to make sure you get the right amount of fluid on a warm day.
7. Hummus Instead of Dip. Made from chickpeas, hummus has tons of benefits that healthy eaters are crazy about, which include a mega dose of key vitamins and minerals with a hearty amount of protein. If you’re not a hummus lover, go for a homemade guacamole. Avocado is a total super food with healthy monounsaturated fats, vitamins A and C and fiber.
8. Veggie Sticks Instead of Chips. You’ll definitely want something to dip into your hummus or heart-healthy guac, so pack your picnic basket with veggie sticks. Carrots, celery and bell pepper strips are all tasty options that will pair well with real cheeses, meats and whole grain crackers.
9. Hard Boiled Eggs Instead of Deviled Eggs. Skip out on the mayonnaise without missing the protein and bring hard boiled eggs to your picnic as a healthy snack.
10. Sushi Instead of Sandwiches. Sick of sammies? Switch it up and bring sushi on your picnic. Go for veggie rolls or healthy versions with tuna or salmon, and choose brown rice or quinoa for added benefit. You’ll stay full AND feel great.
Which healthy foods do you bring to a picnic? Spill with us on Twitter @BritandCo!
(Photos via Getty)
Your relationship with your finances is one of the most important relationships you'll ever have, and you can't avoid it. That said, for many of us, the pandemic only added to our financial stress. If you find yourself feeling frazzled, just remember that financial insecurity isn't a net-worth issue — it's a mindset issue. And, we happen to have plenty of advice on how to turn your money mindset around so you can take charge of your funds once and for all.
To start, feeling secure begins with a strong foundation, and there's no better time than now to get started stacking the bricks. It's easy to get swept up in the January "new year, new me" mentality, but really? Any time is the right time to get yourself in order. You don't need to wait for a new year, a new moon, the right moment, or a sign from above. You don't even have to start on the first day of the month — you just need to start.
Introducing NerdWallet: A Safe and Reliable Money App
To help with that, we've put together a list of the just-right-for-you ways that NerdWallet can help you monitor your financial outlook. Haven't heard of them yet? NerdWallet is a personal finance company that helps consumers make smarter financial decisions. Their website and app let you compare different financial products, find articles and tools to make financial decisions with confidence, and keep tabs on your finances (hey there, credit score, I see you!) all in one place. Plus, NerdWallet has over 75,000 glowing reviews in the App Store (and a 4.8 star rating) if you want to read up on any more testimonials.
Tim Chen, NerdWallet's CEO and co-founder, started this financial journey in 2009 after his sister needed help finding a credit card. Even with an economics degree and a Wall Street background, it took awhile for Tim to find the right recommendation (so don't feel too bad when it takes you a while, too). Their mission is to bring clarity to all of life's financial decisions.
So it's safe to say that NerdWallet is a pretty good sherpa for your journey, too.
Get the most from your money
Did you know that the money you park in a savings account can lose value? Harsh, but true. If your money isn't earning interest that's on pace with inflation it will actually be worth less to you in the future. And if the bank charges fees? Forget about it. Make sure you're earning the interest you deserve and come out on top. NerdWallet has researched dozens of financial institutions to help consumers find the best options. The hard work has already been done for you, so you can just select the account that works best for you and your nest egg.
Keep an eye on everything, securely
Once everything is set up, tracking and managing your finances is what will keep the money machine running smoothly. You can create an account either through the site or the app and link your bank accounts, then keep tabs on all your finances in one place. Get a clear picture of your saving and spending, get insights into how to master your money, and even build your credit score all in one place.
Get extra credit points
Do you have the best credit card for your lifestyle? Some cards give cash back on every purchase, ones with travel perks, and ones that charge way less interest than you're paying now. NerdWallet takes the guesswork out of choosing the right credit card with simple side-by-side comparisons of different credit cards so that you feel confident choosing the right one. Whatever you want to do, NerdWallet can help you find the best credit card to get it done.
Know your options for settling down
Mortgage rates are pretty low and it looks like they're going to stay that way for awhile, so buying a home might be the move sooner than you think. But there's so much more to a mortgage than just the interest rate! To help you choose a mortgage lender, NerdWallet has in-depth reviews on multiple lenders in a mixture of categories so you get the home loan with the mortgage rate, term, and fees that's right for you.
Settle an old score
NerdWallet helps you monitor your credit score for free and helps you see how little things (like raising the limit on your credit card or paying your bills on time) can increase your score. NerdWallet partners with TransUnion® to provide your VantageScore® 3.0, based on information in your TransUnion® credit report. Your score and credit report information are updated weekly. But that's not even close to all:
- They provide you with tips from experts on how you could build or optimize your credit score
- You'll get a detailed look at your credit score and all the factors that go into it—your payment history, credit utilization, the age and type of accounts, balances, and any recent inquiries
- The credit simulator tool gives you an idea of how your credit score would change if you applied for a new credit card, closed your oldest credit card, or got a new auto loan
- You also get free, unlimited access to your credit report
When it comes to managing your money, safe and reliable is where it's at. Establishing a healthy relationship with your finances begins when you take control and practice habits that build wealth. Signing up just takes a few minutes. Set your intentions to build a solid financial foundation, it will only strengthen your relationship with your finances. And don't be afraid to get a little nerdy while you're at it.