11 Places to Go on a *Healthy* Vacation
With a small number of vacation days to use each year, we know you’re extra picky about how you use your precious time off. If you’re looking to de-stress, a wellness vacation might be your ticket to unwinding and finally getting fitness, meditation and some much needed R&R into your busy schedule. These hot spots are great for couples, friend groups and solo travelers, so start packing your bags — after scoping these places out, you’re gonna want to book a flight today.
1. Canyon Ranch, Tuscon, Arizona: With multiple destinations around the country, Canyon Ranch sets the standard for healthy resorts. Guests will enjoy consultations with wellness experts before embarking on a full schedule that features over 40 fitness classes a day. Add gourmet healthy cuisine and daily spa treatments, and you’ll be better than new at the end of your stay.
2. Ananda in the Himalayas, India: India’s first wellness retreat and spa, Ananda, looks like a castle and treats guests like royalty. If the location in the foothills of the Himalayas doesn’t get you, the experience will. Featuring a full menu of traditional Indian services like Ayurveda, Vedanta, yoga and ‘rejuvenation cuisine’ along with daily activities like golf, bird watching, rafting and nature walks, your time here is sure to be an escape like no other.
3. Como Shambala Estate, Bali, Indonesia: Bali is synonymous with healing and re-charging, and Como Shambala goes above and beyond to help guests unwind. Shambala Estate is the flagship resort for the brand and goes over the top in its offerings. Guests can choose from ancient healing practices like Ayurveda and Reiki to a state-of-the-art gym and outdoor activities that take full advantage of the lush surroundings.
4. Four Seasons, Koh Samui, Thailand: The Four Seasons has long been one of the world’s premiere resorts, but the property in Koh Samui takes the cake. Retreats begin with a personal consultation and then unfold during your stay to include raw food spa cuisine and daily meditation, personalized Thai massage treatments, chakra cleansing, yoga classes and unlimited herbal steam baths.
5. Gaia Retreat and Spa, Brooklet NSW, Australia: Created by the ever amazing Olivia Newton-John, Gaia is an Australian oasis in the majestic Byron Bay. Gourmet meals and snacks, amazing spa packages and daily yoga are just a few of the offerings that you’ll enjoy during your stay. The website claims that the resort ‘reflects Olivia’s personal elegance and connection with the environment.’ Could we love her any more? (Photo Via LuxuryAccomodationsBlog).
6. The Farm at San Benito, Lipa, Philippines: Get ready for the wellness holiday of a lifetime! A day at the farm includes a full menu of movement and fitness classes, food grown on site, integrated medical services, healing treatments and more. The grounds are immaculate and the resort even has a program for solo travelers if you’re looking for some alone time.
7. Maya Tulum Retreat and Resort, Tulum, Mexico: Maya Tulum is the go-to spot for yogis and active vacationers alike. With a full schedule of yoga classes, along with fresh vegetarian and seafood meals and a beautiful beach to lounge on, this resort will have you stretched out and rejuvenated in no time.
8. Zen Cruise on the Royal Caribbean: Cruising is no longer just for the older crowd or those looking for the largest buffets on the high seas. Royal Caribbean is now completely transforming their ship, Liberty of the Seas, for a week of wellness. Guests enjoy a full program of yoga, meditation and music sessions, along with healthier food options like gluten-free pizza and juice bars around the ship.
9. Bushman’s Kloof Wilderness Reserve Wellness Retreat, South Africa Bushman: Kloof is literally a dream come true for adventurous travelers. This resort defines luxury and pulls out all the stops with elegant, luxurious accommodations, organic herb and vegetable gardens and a reserve with over 200 animal species. You can spend your days gazing at gazelles, hiking, mountain biking or sitting by the pool — what more could you ask for?
10. Kripalu Retreat Center, Stockbridge, Massachusetts: Nestled in the gorgeous, rolling hills of Massachusetts, Kripalu has been a mainstay in wellness retreats for many years. Kripalu invites guests to create long-term change in their lives through educational programs, gentle yoga, dance and music. The lake near the property provides outdoor experiences like kayaking and swimming for those who prefer to be outdoors.
11. Nautilus Boutique Hotel and Wellness Retreat, Santa Theresa, Costa Rica: Located on the ocean, in the mellow and isolated Santa Theresa, Nautilus invites guests to come and unwind in perfect paradise. With yoga and pilates classes daily, surf lessons, organic and vegetarian food and even in-room massage, you can plan to unwind and get fit during your stay. (Photo Via TripAdvisor).
Have you been on an wellness vacation? Please share your experiences in the comments below!