Geek Out With 20 High-Tech Office Must-Haves
Long gone are the simple work days of typewriters and switchboards. Now there is an endless lists of tools to help you be productive around the office. Whether you’re in need of a hot cup of coffee or a seriously smart writing utensil, we’ve got your back with these 20 techie gadgets.
1. iPad Scanner ($150): Skip the line at the scanner. Pop this portable scanner right into your iPad for painless digitalization.
2. Military Grad USB Drive ($24): If you have some nosey cubicle neighbors, keep your files secret with this password protected USB.
3. Portable Virus Eliminating Air Purifier ($150): Fighting off cold and flu season is a breeze with this gadget.
5. Panasonic Electronic Whiteboard ($1950): No need to copy down all those notes written on the white board after meetings. This smart board has a printer attached that will print out a copy of whatever is written on the board.
6. Pen Scanner ($100): If the iPad scanner still isn’t portable enough for you, how about this secret agent style scanning pen?
7. Bose Wireless Speakers ($250): For those days where you just don’t want to talk to anyone, pop these on and wear them all over the office.
8. Melon Headband ($149): This handy device measures your brain activity during your daily routine and gives you a snapshot of how focused you are during different tasks. It then shares that information with you through a visually pleasing app.
9. Dual Travel Heated Mug ($13): A fresh cup of joe is a must for those late night turned early mornings. Plug this baby into your computer and keep it warm all day long.
10. Mr. Robot USB Port ($15): Plug a USB or SD Card into this shiny guy and watch his eyes light up as he sends information to your computer. When he’s not plugged in, wind him up and watch him stomp around your desk.
11. Epic Laser Keyboard ($149): This handy gadget projects a fixed keyboard pattern onto any flat, opaque surface. Use this gadget to quickly jot down notes at meetings or get typing on your commute.
12. Canon Calculator Mouse ($28): Crunching numbers just got a whole lot more fun.
13. Mophie Power Reserve ($50): Never be without that precious iPhone again. Attach this compact battery to your keyring for a quick on-the-go charge.
15. USB Typewriter ($599): If all this tech is getting too futuristic for you, take it (sort of) old school with this typewriter that works with your computer or iPad.
16. Pebble Smart Watch ($150): Think of this as a kind of ultimate pager for the 21st century. View incoming calls, check email, calendar alerts, social media, weather and a whole lot more. Oh ya, it also tells time.
17. Rode iXY Recording Microphone for iPhone and iPad ($130): Record lectures and interviews with ease using this handy, high-quality microphone.
18. Skylock Bike Lock ($159): If you’re a two-wheeling commuter, keep your ride safe with this smart bike lock that offers keyless entry, alerts you of potential theft, allows you to share your ride with friends and calls for help if you get in an accident.
20. AAXA P4-X Pico Projector ($288): Those weekly meetings just got a whole lot more fun. Hook this handy projector up to your phone, iPad or computer for a professional presentation anywhere.
Which one of these do you want for your desk? We want to know!
Your relationship with your finances is one of the most important relationships you'll ever have, and you can't avoid it. That said, for many of us, the pandemic only added to our financial stress. If you find yourself feeling frazzled, just remember that financial insecurity isn't a net-worth issue — it's a mindset issue. And, we happen to have plenty of advice on how to turn your money mindset around so you can take charge of your funds once and for all.
To start, feeling secure begins with a strong foundation, and there's no better time than now to get started stacking the bricks. It's easy to get swept up in the January "new year, new me" mentality, but really? Any time is the right time to get yourself in order. You don't need to wait for a new year, a new moon, the right moment, or a sign from above. You don't even have to start on the first day of the month — you just need to start.
Introducing NerdWallet: A Safe and Reliable Money App
To help with that, we've put together a list of the just-right-for-you ways that NerdWallet can help you monitor your financial outlook. Haven't heard of them yet? NerdWallet is a personal finance company that helps consumers make smarter financial decisions. Their website and app let you compare different financial products, find articles and tools to make financial decisions with confidence, and keep tabs on your finances (hey there, credit score, I see you!) all in one place. Plus, NerdWallet has over 75,000 glowing reviews in the App Store (and a 4.8 star rating) if you want to read up on any more testimonials.
Tim Chen, NerdWallet's CEO and co-founder, started this financial journey in 2009 after his sister needed help finding a credit card. Even with an economics degree and a Wall Street background, it took awhile for Tim to find the right recommendation (so don't feel too bad when it takes you a while, too). Their mission is to bring clarity to all of life's financial decisions.
So it's safe to say that NerdWallet is a pretty good sherpa for your journey, too.
Get the most from your money
Did you know that the money you park in a savings account can lose value? Harsh, but true. If your money isn't earning interest that's on pace with inflation it will actually be worth less to you in the future. And if the bank charges fees? Forget about it. Make sure you're earning the interest you deserve and come out on top. NerdWallet has researched dozens of financial institutions to help consumers find the best options. The hard work has already been done for you, so you can just select the account that works best for you and your nest egg.
Keep an eye on everything, securely
Once everything is set up, tracking and managing your finances is what will keep the money machine running smoothly. You can create an account either through the site or the app and link your bank accounts, then keep tabs on all your finances in one place. Get a clear picture of your saving and spending, get insights into how to master your money, and even build your credit score all in one place.
Get extra credit points
Do you have the best credit card for your lifestyle? Some cards give cash back on every purchase, ones with travel perks, and ones that charge way less interest than you're paying now. NerdWallet takes the guesswork out of choosing the right credit card with simple side-by-side comparisons of different credit cards so that you feel confident choosing the right one. Whatever you want to do, NerdWallet can help you find the best credit card to get it done.
Know your options for settling down
Mortgage rates are pretty low and it looks like they're going to stay that way for awhile, so buying a home might be the move sooner than you think. But there's so much more to a mortgage than just the interest rate! To help you choose a mortgage lender, NerdWallet has in-depth reviews on multiple lenders in a mixture of categories so you get the home loan with the mortgage rate, term, and fees that's right for you.
Settle an old score
NerdWallet helps you monitor your credit score for free and helps you see how little things (like raising the limit on your credit card or paying your bills on time) can increase your score. NerdWallet partners with TransUnion® to provide your VantageScore® 3.0, based on information in your TransUnion® credit report. Your score and credit report information are updated weekly. But that's not even close to all:
- They provide you with tips from experts on how you could build or optimize your credit score
- You'll get a detailed look at your credit score and all the factors that go into it—your payment history, credit utilization, the age and type of accounts, balances, and any recent inquiries
- The credit simulator tool gives you an idea of how your credit score would change if you applied for a new credit card, closed your oldest credit card, or got a new auto loan
- You also get free, unlimited access to your credit report
When it comes to managing your money, safe and reliable is where it's at. Establishing a healthy relationship with your finances begins when you take control and practice habits that build wealth. Signing up just takes a few minutes. Set your intentions to build a solid financial foundation, it will only strengthen your relationship with your finances. And don't be afraid to get a little nerdy while you're at it.