Geek Out With 20 High-Tech Office Must-Haves
Long gone are the simple work days of typewriters and switchboards. Now there is an endless lists of tools to help you be productive around the office. Whether you’re in need of a hot cup of coffee or a seriously smart writing utensil, we’ve got your back with these 20 techie gadgets.
1. iPad Scanner ($150): Skip the line at the scanner. Pop this portable scanner right into your iPad for painless digitalization.
2. Military Grad USB Drive ($24): If you have some nosey cubicle neighbors, keep your files secret with this password protected USB.
3. Portable Virus Eliminating Air Purifier ($150): Fighting off cold and flu season is a breeze with this gadget.
5. Panasonic Electronic Whiteboard ($1950): No need to copy down all those notes written on the white board after meetings. This smart board has a printer attached that will print out a copy of whatever is written on the board.
6. Pen Scanner ($100): If the iPad scanner still isn’t portable enough for you, how about this secret agent style scanning pen?
7. Bose Wireless Speakers ($250): For those days where you just don’t want to talk to anyone, pop these on and wear them all over the office.
8. Melon Headband ($149): This handy device measures your brain activity during your daily routine and gives you a snapshot of how focused you are during different tasks. It then shares that information with you through a visually pleasing app.
9. Dual Travel Heated Mug ($13): A fresh cup of joe is a must for those late night turned early mornings. Plug this baby into your computer and keep it warm all day long.
10. Mr. Robot USB Port ($15): Plug a USB or SD Card into this shiny guy and watch his eyes light up as he sends information to your computer. When he’s not plugged in, wind him up and watch him stomp around your desk.
11. Epic Laser Keyboard ($149): This handy gadget projects a fixed keyboard pattern onto any flat, opaque surface. Use this gadget to quickly jot down notes at meetings or get typing on your commute.
12. Canon Calculator Mouse ($28): Crunching numbers just got a whole lot more fun.
13. Mophie Power Reserve ($50): Never be without that precious iPhone again. Attach this compact battery to your keyring for a quick on-the-go charge.
15. USB Typewriter ($599): If all this tech is getting too futuristic for you, take it (sort of) old school with this typewriter that works with your computer or iPad.
16. Pebble Smart Watch ($150): Think of this as a kind of ultimate pager for the 21st century. View incoming calls, check email, calendar alerts, social media, weather and a whole lot more. Oh ya, it also tells time.
17. Rode iXY Recording Microphone for iPhone and iPad ($130): Record lectures and interviews with ease using this handy, high-quality microphone.
18. Skylock Bike Lock ($159): If you’re a two-wheeling commuter, keep your ride safe with this smart bike lock that offers keyless entry, alerts you of potential theft, allows you to share your ride with friends and calls for help if you get in an accident.
20. AAXA P4-X Pico Projector ($288): Those weekly meetings just got a whole lot more fun. Hook this handy projector up to your phone, iPad or computer for a professional presentation anywhere.
Which one of these do you want for your desk? We want to know!
It can be intimidating to step out on your own and build a business from the ground up. As part of our collaboration with Office Depot, we're talking with Selfmade alum and solopreneur Colette Lawrence, the faith-based motivator and relationship builder behind The M.E.E. Movement, about ways in which women in business can find success.
B + C: How did you know M.E.E. Movement was your business to start?
The M.E.E Movement represents motivation, empowerment, and encouragement for women. It is what represents me. I did not know at first that it was my business to start, but then the thought of monetizing what I loved came to me. It scared me, however. I registered the business in July 2020 and have been slowly building my wings since.
B + C: What's one strategy that's helped you start your business?
Thinking through and researching what the requirements are to start my business, and then asking questions of people who are in the business. Not all advice worked; however, it helped me to figure out what I needed to do and not to do.
B + C: Did you always know life coaching would be your entrepreneurial path?
(Smiles) No, I did not. I 'stumbled" on it. I knew that people were always coming to me for advice and I found that I loved having conversations with them, especially with women, young and old.
B + C: What was your most valuable takeaway from Selfmade?
My most valuable takeaway was the first day of training: Get out of your own way. There were a lot of great moments and important takeaways from every presenter. However, getting out of my own way, pushing past doubts, was for me my most valuable takeaway. Doing something that I had never done before took courage. If I do not focus on what is happening with me mentally then I cannot deliver to my clients successfully.
B + C: What's one piece of advice you would give to female entrepreneurs on the brink of starting?
Get out of your head. You have something to offer. You have what you need to succeed so go ahead and do it.
B + C: How do you stay motivated?
I stay motivated by listening to music and listening to motivational speakers, and sometimes someone will just reach out and talk about the impact that I made in their life. That adds the extra juice or sauce I need to pummel through the day.
B + C: What's your best organizational tip?
Keep a diary and journal. It's the best way for me to keep organized and it also provides a source motivation as I record not only my "losses" but my wins as well.
B + C: Who inspires you in the entrepreneurial space?
Shirley Toliver – She motivates and empowers and makes me always want to show up.
B + C: What has receiving the Office Depot scholarship to Selfmade done to help you start or grow your business?
The scholarship was a blessing in that all the areas that were covered offered valuable information that I needed, from social media to HR. As a new business owner, I needed to know this to increase my own personal awareness in what it takes to run a successful business. The candidness of the presenters made it easy to see myself in their shoes and helped me to realize that I can also get there.
Want to feel motivated to take the next step for your business? Let Office Depot OfficeMax give you the confidence you need with a suite of business services & solutions to help you put your best foot forward. Make a good first impression with business cards & build the business pitch of your dreams with custom presentations. With Office Depot OfficeMax you'll find the tools to reach new customers with confidence.
Head to Office Depot's Selfmade page to check out even more amazing business resources (and discounts!) to help you accomplish more on your entrepreneurial journey. These offers are available for a limited time only, so be sure to take advantage of all this goodness while supplies last. Want to join the next Selfmade cohort this summer? Check out all of the scholarship details right here.