The 5 Products to Bring + 5 Products to Leave at Home When Traveling
On the road again… can’t you just hear Willie Nelson belting it out? Okay, maybe that’s just me, because I’m a California girl who always goes home to Texas for the holidays, but we can all relate to holiday travel and everything that goes along with it. From playlists to packing strategies, there are some travel must-haves that make your journey easier and more enjoyable (neck pillow + eye mask, anyone?). The same goes for travel beauty must-haves. You want to stay fresh for your voyage home, without packing too much (you do want to savor that extra inch of leg room). More importantly, it’s just not necessary to carry on your entire beauty arsenal.
We broke down your holiday travel beauty plan to just the essentials. Here are five products to stash in your carry-on, along with five products that should be left in your checked bags.
BEAUTY CARRY-ON ESSENTIALS
1. Evian Facial Spray ($15, pack of two): Spritz this on during your flight (or in the car) to inject some moisture back into your parched skin. It’ll wake up your skin while leaving you feeling super refreshed.
2. Smith’s Rosebud Salve ($6): An everything-balm is a total lifesaver when you’re traveling. You can use it anywhere you need a little extra moisture and shine. It also works really well to tame flyaways and unruly brows. A definite must-have.
3. Shiseido Eyelash Curler ($19): Pro tip: Hold off on putting on mascara until you’ve landed. Instead, if you have a quick, steady hand, open up your eyes with this seriously legit eyelash curler. You’ll look more awake without having to deal with mascara smears on the go.
4. Stila Convertible Color Dual Lip and Cheek Cream ($25): Give your cheeks and lips some healthy color mid-flight with this creamy, multi-purpose product. It’s pretty hard to mess up, which is perfect for unexpected turbulence ;)
5. Maybelline Brow Drama Sculpting Brow Mascara ($8): Brows are crucial, you guys. Quickly and easily define them with this sculpting gel that will give them color and shape. Bonus: This product is so tiny it won’t take up a ton of space in your makeup bag.
CHECKED BAG BEAUTY MUST-HAVES
1. Alima Pure Satin Matte Foundation ($28): Foundation can get messy if you’re putting it on while you’re traveling, so save it for when you’ve reached your destination. Trust.
2. Benefit Roller Lash Curling + Lifting Mascara ($24): Keep the mascara in your checked bag — there’s no need for it in-flight (plus, it’s dangerous to apply mascara mid-air — hello eye pokes). If you’re going to be sleeping on the flight and have mascara on, you might wake up with raccoon eyes and that gross, gunky feeling. Swipe some on after you land!
3. TrèStiQue Perfect Multipurpose Highlight Stick ($34): Instantly wake up your skin when you land with a highlighter. Add some glow to your nose, brow bones and cheekbones. You’ll look instantly refreshed even if you’re feeling sluggish.
4. Lily Lolo Natural Eye Pencil ($11): Please, please, please don’t apply eyeliner while you’re in the car or on a plane. You will inevitably poke yourself in the eye, have an uneven application and be unhappy with the final result. Define your eyes after your traveling is complete.
5. Anastasia Beverly Hills The Original Contour Kit ($40): Contouring is great and all, but it’s definitely not needed when you’re traveling. Save that ish for when you’re gearing up for a night on the town or a holiday dinner — not for the airport or a toll road.
What are your travel must-haves? Share your thoughts in the comments below.