This time of year, with the rain, snow, sleet, and the rapidly dropping temperatures, all we wanna do is lock ourselves indoors, curl up on the couch, and get cozy AF. Ready to embrace the charms of the winter season? Here are our top suggestions for eight ways you can live your best hygge life.
1. Cook comfort food. ‘Tis the season to create tasty magic in the kitchen. Homey stews, flavorful soups, and creamy casseroles are all perfect choices for mealtime with family and friends. A few of our tummy-warming picks: Chicken and Chickpea Soup, a modern take on Mac + Cheese, or a nostalgic Slow-Cooker Stroganoff.
2. Get baked. One of our favorite cozy-time activities is making (and eating) platters of holiday cookies. If you haven’t already, peruse our ‘Grammable Holiday Cookie Guide that includes recipes for adorable Candy Cane Sloths to Festive Succulents to Ombré Pinwheel Cookies. You can’t go wrong with any of these yummy treats.
3. Sip on something sinfully delicious. To heat your body from head to toe, indulge in a drink that’s delicious and wonderfully warm. One of our seasonal favorites is a mug of steaming hot chocolate, and we have 22 recipes to tempt you. If you want to get extra toasty, spike your drink with a little bourbon or rum!
4. Netflix. Catch up on your Netflix queue and watch the buzzworthy Sabrina before the release of Chilling Adventures of Sabrina: A Midwinter’s Tale, feel good about your baking skills while watching Nailed It, or visit with some old pals in Fuller House Season 4.
5. Curl up with a good book. With chilly weather outside, curling up with a good book needs to be tops on the to-do list. And there are so many good options to choose from, such as Tara Westover’s bestseller Educated to Busy Philipps’ memoirThis Will Only Hurt A Little. For more inspo, check out our best book picks of the year.
6. Get the most comforting blankie you can. Bundling up in a soft, plush, warm blanket is a staple of the season. And there’s seriously no better way to enjoy the above book time or TV time then from under the safe haven of a beloved throw. We’d love to hide under this the CozyChic Classic Disney Mickey & Minnie Throw from Barefoot Dreams. (It goes oh-so-well with all the other Mickey gear we’re lusting after.)
7. Do all of your shopping from the comfort of your couch. Don’t let the last of your holiday shopping ruin your #indoorkid vibe. Check out our Cozy Etsy Gifts for Homebodies guide and our Holiday Shop x Etsy, as well as our Holiday Giftopia 2018 guide, which has something for absolutely everyone in your life.
8. Book that cozy getaway. Winter is an ideal time to see the world: prices can be better, and lots of locations are at their best in the colder months. You can book a room at one of the beautiful National Park Lodges, get a cabin at Walt Disney World (or plan your 2019 Disney trip), or visit one of the Best Après Ski Towns in North America.
What’s your favorite thing to do to get all cozy? Let us know @BritandCo.
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.
(Photo via Getty)