Upgrade Traditional Holiday Mac + Cheese With This Modernized Gnocchi Recipe
Hosting a holiday dinner party? When you’re forming your own traditions, start by riffing on classic recipes like this mac and cheese. Our fancy AF gnocchi side dish is loaded with three kinds of cheese and will make every carb lover give thanks. Read on for the recipe.
Gnocchi Mac + Cheese RECIPE
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Bring a large pot of water to a boil over medium heat. Cook gnocchi for 1-2 minutes, just until they float to the top of the pot. Drain and set aside.
2. Heat 6 tablespoons butter in a large pan over medium heat. Add flour and whisk. Cook for 2-3 minutes. Add whole milk and heavy cream, stirring constantly. Stir in a few sprigs of thyme and salt and pepper.
3. Add gruyere, fontina, and 1 1/2 cups of Parmesan cheese.
4. Cook over low heat until melted and sauce has thickened.
5. Remove from heat and fold the gnocchi into the cheese sauce.
6. In a small bowl, combine panko, 4 tablespoons melted butter, remaining 1/2 cup Parmesan, and a few sprigs of thyme. Stir to combine.
7. Pour gnocchi into a greased cast-iron skillet and top with panko mixture.
8. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until golden brown and bubbly. Enjoy!
Learn how to Light It Up with our tips and DIYs that create new spins on old traditions. We keep the best but tweak the rest so you can have a memorable experience that’s uniquely you.
(Recipe and food styling via Francesca Bean/Brit + Co; styling via Hayley Bramble; photos via Chris Andre/Brit + Co)