How to Vacation like… Katy Perry in Cuba
Katy Perry recently spent time in beautiful Havana, Cuba, and she’s got the Instagram photos to prove it. Take a page or two from Katy’s travel diary and, with our helpful tips, travel like the singer at a fraction of the cost.
1. Shopping in Havana: Calling the city “one of the COOLEST vibes around,” Katy took full advantage of strolling about and shopping in Havana. Take a cue from her book and check out the Centro Cultural Antiguos Almacenes de Deposito de San José, a gorgeous open-air arts and crafts market. It’s a free-enterprise venture where you can haggle your way to goodies like paintings, leather items, woodwork and more.
2. Dressing in Color: Before you head there for what Katy dubbed the The Rainbow Tour, you’ll also want to make sure that you’ve packed properly. Whether you’re hoping for lots of time in the sun, to enjoy old Havana or even some nightlife, it’s important to dress the part: color, color, color! Leave the LDB at home and instead go for that sexy little something in your favorite bright hue.
3. Riding in Cars: Renting a classy old-school car in Havana must have cost Katy a pretty penny, but you can surely do the same at half the cost. Before heading to the country, do your research online for the best car rental sites. Havanautos.com and Carrentalcuba.com are just two of many options.
5. Perusing the Streets: Itching to explore Old Havana just like Katy did when she posed with this cool statue? Opt for a simple walking tour! It’s easy when you book with a company like Urban Adventures or Havana Tour Company, which promise to take you through the historic city without the pomp and circumstance but with plenty of information (and picture taking).
6. Enjoying the Tropicana: Nightlife in Havana starts and ends with beautiful dancing at the Tropicana cabaret club, where Katy enjoyed a night during her travels. But if you can’t quite afford their prices, there are plenty of other places to enjoy music and dancing. Instead, find a bar or club that includes a drink (or two!) with their cover price, and dance the night away.
7. OD on Love: For Katy (who admitted that she OD’d on love the entire time), a school visit was her favorite part. Make love your favorite part by connecting with people. Read tips, talk to the locals, make friends when you travel. You’ll surely feel the love yourself in no time.
Were you inspired to explore Havana, Cuba like Katy Perry? Tell us in the comments below!
(Photos via @katyperry)
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)