Veggie burgers have got a bad rap for being boring. Blame it on frozen patties you’ve tried to toaster-oven to grill master levels of juicy goodness, but we’re only in the business of making our meatless burgers anything but bland. With this version, we’re using brown rice + potatoes to make a fluffy and filling patty that’s flavored with a blend of vibrant Indian spices and filled with fresh veggies. Once it’s cooked to golden-brown perfection and topped with a zesty Greek yogurt sauce, you won’t believe you ever rolled your eyes at this delish dish.
- 1/2 cup brown rice, cooked
- 2 medium potatoes, boiled + smashed
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp fennel seeds
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 small zucchini, diced
- 8 oz white mushrooms, finely diced
- 1 inch ginger, chopped
- 1 serrano chili, diced (optional)
- 1/2 cup baby spinach, chopped
- 4 tbsp cilantro, chopped
- 4 tsp cornstarch
- 4 tsp Italian breadcrumbs
- 4 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- salt to taste + freshly ground black pepper
– 4 tbsp Greek yogurt
– 2 tbsp mayonnaise
– 1 chipotle chili in adobo sauce, finely chopped
– salt to taste + freshly ground black pepper
1. In a heavy bottom skillet, heat the canola oil over medium-high heat.
2. Add the cumin seeds. Once it starts crackling, add the turmeric and fennel seeds.
3. Add the onions, cook until soft. Add the zucchini, mushrooms and saute until all the water has evaporated.
4. Add the ground pepper and salt to taste.
5. Set aside to cool slightly.
6. Combine the mixture with brown rice and potatoes in a large bowl.
7. Add spinach, ginger, serrano chili, cilantro, cornstarch and Italian breadcrumbs.
8. Add two tbsp extra-virgin olive oil to the mixture.
9. Form the mixture into 12 patties.
10. Heat the remaining extra-virgin olive oil in a 12-inch non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add the patties and cook until they are golden brown on both the sides.
11. To make the dressing, mix together the yogurt, mayonnaise and chipotle peppers in a small bowl until smooth.
12. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Once your veggies are cooked up in a mix of warm + crackling spices, add the amped up ingredients to your cooked brown rice and smashed potatoes. Add in spinach, serrano chili, cliantro cornstarch and Italian breadcrumbs along with half of your olive oil and gently combine, forming it into 12 patties.
See how the turmeric + cumin have made these patties a gorg golden color? They’re almost good enough to eat, though you’ll want to get them crisp and browned before you put them between two buns.
See that char? That’s what we’re looking for! Make sure to cook each side ’til it looks just like this, and then get going on the dressing, which is a cinch to make. Just mix together Greek yogurt with mayo and chipotle peppers in a small bowl until smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste and then add a generous dollop to your rice burgers!
Serve ’em the good old-fashioned way on a toasted sesame seed bun with a tomato slice + lettuce or baby spinach. We like prepping them slider-sized so that they get to serve the maximum amount of mouths as possible. And since they’re SO easy to make in bulk, make sure you add these flinger-licking burgers to your next dinner party, grill-out or game-day bash!