Make These Indian-Spiced Veggie Burgers for Dinner
Veggie burgers have got a bad rap for being boring. Blame it on frozen patties you’ve tried to toaster-oven to grill master levels of juicy goodness, but we’re only in the business of making our meatless burgers anything but bland. With this version, we’re using brown rice + potatoes to make a fluffy and filling patty that’s flavored with a blend of vibrant Indian spices and filled with fresh veggies. Once it’s cooked to golden-brown perfection and topped with a zesty Greek yogurt sauce, you won’t believe you ever rolled your eyes at this delish dish.
– 4 tbsp Greek yogurt
– 2 tbsp mayonnaise
– 1 chipotle chili in adobo sauce, finely chopped
– salt to taste + freshly ground black pepper
1. In a heavy bottom skillet, heat the canola oil over medium-high heat.
2. Add the cumin seeds. Once it starts crackling, add the turmeric and fennel seeds.
3. Add the onions, cook until soft. Add the zucchini, mushrooms and saute until all the water has evaporated.
4. Add the ground pepper and salt to taste.
5. Set aside to cool slightly.
6. Combine the mixture with brown rice and potatoes in a large bowl.
7. Add spinach, ginger, serrano chili, cilantro, cornstarch and Italian breadcrumbs.
8. Add two tbsp extra-virgin olive oil to the mixture.
9. Form the mixture into 12 patties.
10. Heat the remaining extra-virgin olive oil in a 12-inch non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add the patties and cook until they are golden brown on both the sides.
11. To make the dressing, mix together the yogurt, mayonnaise and chipotle peppers in a small bowl until smooth.
12. Add salt and pepper to taste.
What’s your absolute favorite veggie burger recipe? Does it use brown rice or black beans or something completely different? Tell us in the comments below.