The 15 Best Burger Recipes From Around the World
The burger is a great and mighty thing, and one of its best features is that it’s a veritable blank canvas for any kind of crazy flavors you happen to be craving. These 15 recipes give this tasty workhorse a global makeover — with riffs from Thailand, Louisiana, Italy, and beyond! Introducing, Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego: The Burger Edition.
1. Thai Turkey Burgers: These turkey burgers from How Sweet It Is are your passport to Thailand. Topped with a sweet/creamy/spicy peanut sauce and a cilantro-cabbage slaw, these burgers are sure to take you places. Let’s go!
3. Korean BBQ Burgers with Pickled Radishes, Onions, and Miso Mayonnaise:To get these burgers started, ground beef is mixed with scallions, soy sauce, brown sugar, sesame, ginger, and garlic. The patties are topped with a miso-sriracha mayo and sharply-pickled vegetables — a bright alternative to cheddar and ketchup. (via Panning the Globe)
4. Brazilian Beef and Chorizo Burger with Egg: Is this Burger Heaven? you ask. No, it’s just Brazil. (Welcome.) When they aren’t at the beach, Brazilians are busy topping their burgers with runny-yolked eggs, a la this recipe from Oh Sweet Basil. BONUS: Chorizo.
6. Andouille and Beef Burgers with Spicy Mayo and Caramelized Onions: This recipe is all about Louisiana. Jam-packed with andouille, pecans, cajun spices, and topped with fresh watercress and okra pods, this burger is taking itself very seriously. I approve. And I want to go to there. (via Epicurious)
7. Moussaka Patty Melts: This Greek-style patty melt from Closet Cooking is piled high with cinnamon-spiced beef, melty graviera cheese, thin slices of tender eggplant, and a warm tomato sauce. The Olympics of burgers.
8. Turkey Burgers with Blueberry-Onion Compote, Goat Cheese, and Arugula: Maine blueberries don’t have to be all about the blueberry pancakes. Cooking up these blueberry compote and goat cheese-topped turkey burgers will take you straight to that idyllic Maine blueberry farm you’ve been dreaming about. Let’s make a weekend of it — tomorrow night, we’ll have lobster. (via The Devil Wears Parsley)
9. Aussie Beet Burgers: According to Girl Cooks World, the toppings for a true “Aussie Burger” are hotly debated by the good people of the internet. There is one thing everybody agrees on, though, and that is the incorporation of sliced beets.
10. French Bistro Burgers with Caramelized Onions, Bacon, and Brie: Le hungry? Try this French bistro burger from Picture Perfect Meals. It has le bacon and le brie.
11. Hawaiian BBQ Salmon Burgers with Coconut Caramelized Pineapple: This salmon burger from Half Baked Harvest is no ordinary sandwich. Piled high with mashed avocado, little bites of jalapeno, and thick slices of coconut-caramelized pineapple, this sandwich will take you straight to the islands of Hawaii.
12. Curried Turkey Burgers: These curried-spiced turkey patties are stacked up with fresh mango and a cool cucumber-yogurt sauce. Serve these up on naan bread for a real Indian experience. (via Natural Noshing)
14. Chimichurri Burgers: Chimichurri is a garlicky parsley-based sauce that, in Argentina, often accompanies grilled meats. Simply Fresh Cooking streamlines this tradition by topping her burgers with the stuff. Fresh and fancy.
15. Cuban Burger: With its inclusion of ham, roasted pork, Swiss cheese, pickles, and mustard, the Cuban is a dubious contender for Ultimate Sandwich Greatness. Simple Comfort Food takes the Cuban one step further by throwing a beef burger into the mix.
What’s your burger dream vacation? And how do you get there? Talk to us in the comments below!
Your relationship with your finances is one of the most important relationships you'll ever have, and you can't avoid it. That said, for many of us, the pandemic only added to our financial stress. If you find yourself feeling frazzled, just remember that financial insecurity isn't a net-worth issue — it's a mindset issue. And, we happen to have plenty of advice on how to turn your money mindset around so you can take charge of your funds once and for all.
To start, feeling secure begins with a strong foundation, and there's no better time than now to get started stacking the bricks. It's easy to get swept up in the January "new year, new me" mentality, but really? Any time is the right time to get yourself in order. You don't need to wait for a new year, a new moon, the right moment, or a sign from above. You don't even have to start on the first day of the month — you just need to start.
Introducing NerdWallet: A Safe and Reliable Money App
To help with that, we've put together a list of the just-right-for-you ways that NerdWallet can help you monitor your financial outlook. Haven't heard of them yet? NerdWallet is a personal finance company that helps consumers make smarter financial decisions. Their website and app let you compare different financial products, find articles and tools to make financial decisions with confidence, and keep tabs on your finances (hey there, credit score, I see you!) all in one place. Plus, NerdWallet has over 75,000 glowing reviews in the App Store (and a 4.8 star rating) if you want to read up on any more testimonials.
Tim Chen, NerdWallet's CEO and co-founder, started this financial journey in 2009 after his sister needed help finding a credit card. Even with an economics degree and a Wall Street background, it took awhile for Tim to find the right recommendation (so don't feel too bad when it takes you a while, too). Their mission is to bring clarity to all of life's financial decisions.
So it's safe to say that NerdWallet is a pretty good sherpa for your journey, too.
Get the most from your money
Did you know that the money you park in a savings account can lose value? Harsh, but true. If your money isn't earning interest that's on pace with inflation it will actually be worth less to you in the future. And if the bank charges fees? Forget about it. Make sure you're earning the interest you deserve and come out on top. NerdWallet has researched dozens of financial institutions to help consumers find the best options. The hard work has already been done for you, so you can just select the account that works best for you and your nest egg.
Keep an eye on everything, securely
Once everything is set up, tracking and managing your finances is what will keep the money machine running smoothly. You can create an account either through the site or the app and link your bank accounts, then keep tabs on all your finances in one place. Get a clear picture of your saving and spending, get insights into how to master your money, and even build your credit score all in one place.
Get extra credit points
Do you have the best credit card for your lifestyle? Some cards give cash back on every purchase, ones with travel perks, and ones that charge way less interest than you're paying now. NerdWallet takes the guesswork out of choosing the right credit card with simple side-by-side comparisons of different credit cards so that you feel confident choosing the right one. Whatever you want to do, NerdWallet can help you find the best credit card to get it done.
Know your options for settling down
Mortgage rates are pretty low and it looks like they're going to stay that way for awhile, so buying a home might be the move sooner than you think. But there's so much more to a mortgage than just the interest rate! To help you choose a mortgage lender, NerdWallet has in-depth reviews on multiple lenders in a mixture of categories so you get the home loan with the mortgage rate, term, and fees that's right for you.
Settle an old score
NerdWallet helps you monitor your credit score for free and helps you see how little things (like raising the limit on your credit card or paying your bills on time) can increase your score. NerdWallet partners with TransUnion® to provide your VantageScore® 3.0, based on information in your TransUnion® credit report. Your score and credit report information are updated weekly. But that's not even close to all:
- They provide you with tips from experts on how you could build or optimize your credit score
- You'll get a detailed look at your credit score and all the factors that go into it—your payment history, credit utilization, the age and type of accounts, balances, and any recent inquiries
- The credit simulator tool gives you an idea of how your credit score would change if you applied for a new credit card, closed your oldest credit card, or got a new auto loan
- You also get free, unlimited access to your credit report
When it comes to managing your money, safe and reliable is where it's at. Establishing a healthy relationship with your finances begins when you take control and practice habits that build wealth. Signing up just takes a few minutes. Set your intentions to build a solid financial foundation, it will only strengthen your relationship with your finances. And don't be afraid to get a little nerdy while you're at it.