The Hack for Cooking a Complete Meal in Your Instant Pot
Instant Pot recipes that let you get your protein, starch, and veggie all in one pressure-cook session can be tough to find. Your go-to may be IP soup, but you can actually layer and cook individual ingredients at the same time? Simply separate them with trivets and bowls, steam them up simultaneously, and a well-balanced meal can be yours in minutes — three to be exact. If you’re grain-free, Whole30, or paleo, watch closely. This could be your go-to dinner as it has become ours.
Salmon, sweet potato, & broccoli instant pot Dinner
Cooking Time: 25 minutes
Recipe Notes: Though it seems strange, the orange in this recipe becomes tender and tastes delicious eaten in its entirety with the fish. If you don’t like the skin of the fish, you can always scrape it off and only eat the orange slices on the top of the fish.
- ghee or olive oil spray
- 2 small sweet potatoes, peeled and large diced
- salt, to taste
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 frozen salmon fillets
- spice mix of your choice, to taste
- 1 orange, thinly sliced (preferably with a mandoline)
- 2 small heads of broccoli, cut into large pieces
- freshly ground black pepper, optional
1. Spray the inside of the Instant Pot bowl insert with ghee or olive oil.
2. Add potatoes to the bottom, spraying the top with oil, then sprinkling generously with salt. Pour in 1/4 cup of water on top.
3. Place the Instant Pot trivet on top of the potatoes, then lay out 1/2 of the orange slices on the bottom of the trivet. Add the fish on top of the oranges, skin-side down. Be sure the fish are positioned so they are lying flat on the trivet and not on top of one another.
4. Sprinkle a generous amount of seasoning on the tops of the fish fillets (if you don’t want to use a seasoning, salt is fine). If seasoning is not salted, be sure to add a generous amount of salt on top too. Then, lay the remaining orange slices on top of the fish, in a decorative fanned out way.
5. Place the small aluminum bowl on top of the fish. Be sure it’s small enough so that it fits within the Instant Pot bowl insert. Add the broccoli, spray with ghee, and sprinkle with salt.
6. Close and lock the Instant Pot Lid. Pressure cook for 3 minutes on high. When cooking is complete, immediately quick release the steam and open the lid.
7. Carefully use tongs or heat-proof kitchen mitts to remove the aluminum bowl from the Instant Pot. Divide broccoli between two plates. Use a spatula to transfer the fish fillets to each plate. Carefully remove the trivet. Use a spoon to scoop up the sweet potatoes and divide them between the plates. Season with additional ghee or olive oil and salt and pepper if desired.
Get more Instant Pot inspo like this by following Brit + Co on Pinterest.
(Recipe via Anna Monette Roberts/Brit + Co; styling via Alonna Morrison/Brit + Co; photo via Brittany Griffin/Brit + Co)