Loading up Keto-friendly cheese and bacon dishes seems fun at first, but after eating rich foods for several days, you’re bound to crave something a little fresher tasting. Enter this cauliflower “rice” bowl with flavorful marinated chicken and meaty shiitake mushrooms, then topped with healthy fats from avocado and spicy mayonnaise. Whether you’re a lean, mean Keto machine or are simply striving for a low-carb diet, you’ll find something to love in this bowl full of tasty textures and temperatures.
KETO CAULIFLOWER “RICE” BOWL WITH CHICKEN, MUSHROOMS, AND AVOCADO
- 1 pound chicken breast, cut into cubes
- 1/4 cup coconut aminos (or soy sauce if you don’t mind the sugar. Trader Joe’s Soyaki Sauce would also be delicious, but not Keto)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 English cucumber, peeled, deseeded, and sliced into matchsticks
- 1 teaspoon Trader Joe’s Yuzu Hot Sauce (or a combination of white vinegar, sesame oil, and a Keto hot sauce)
- 4 Tablespoons mayonnaise
- 3 Tablespoons sriracha, adjusted to desired level of heat
- 3 Tablespoons coconut oil, divided
- 1 pound riced cauliflower
- 8-10 ounces shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 large avocado, sliced
- 1 Tablespoon sesame seeds
- Prep the chicken: Place chicken in a plastic bag with coconut aminos, salt, and pepper. Mix until chicken is coated, and marinate in the refrigerator for 30 minutes or up to 2 hours.
- Prep the cucumber slaw: Toss the cucumber matchsticks with yuzu hot sauce. Set aside, keeping cool.
- Prep the sriracha mayonnaise: Mix mayonnaise and sriracha until completely combined.
- Heat 1 tablespoon coconut oil in a skillet. Add chicken, and cook until browned and cooked through, about 10 minutes. Use tongs or a spatula to ensure the pieces are cooked on all sides. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon coconut oil in a separate skillet. Add cauliflower rice and sauté until softened, about 10 minutes. Halfway through, add salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In the same skillet as the chicken, heat 1 tablespoon coconut oil, and add mushrooms. Cook until tender, about 10 minutes. Halfway through, add ground ginger, salt, and pepper.
- Place chicken, mushrooms, cucumber slaw, and sliced avocado over cauliflower rice. Drizzle sriracha mayonnaise and sprinkle sesame seeds on top.
Want more meal-prep ideas? Follow us on Pinterest!
(Recipe and photos via Sara Cagle, Brit + Co)