For anyone who’s tried to dive into the keto diet but ended up with more questions than answers, Kristie Sullivan, PhD, has you covered. Her new cookbook, Keto Living Day By Day ($35), walks you through every step you need to make keto your new routine. The massive 400-page volume has everything from shopping lists and weekly meal plans to in-depth explanations of every part of that #KetoLife. If you’re a little more keto-savvy than the rest of us, you can still check out Sullivan’s 130 recipes, including dressings, cocktails, and easy dinner ideas . We especially loved Sullivan’s shredded Mexican chicken dish, which takes all the best parts of your favorite Mexican plate and keeps them keto-friendly. Better yet, the recipe is made in a slow cooker. Although it doesn’t call for it, we think the chicken would be awesome over cauliflower rice or wrapped in romaine lettuce leaves. Check out the recipe below!
Shredded mexican chicken
(Makes 6 servings)
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
- ½ cup (1 stick) salted butter
- sliced jalapeño peppers
- sliced red onions
- chopped tomatoes
- diced avocado
- shredded cheese
- sour cream
- Place the chicken thighs in a 4-quart or larger slow cooker and sprinkle each thigh with the taco seasoning.
- Pour the tomato sauce over the seasoned chicken and top with the butter. Cook on low for 8 to 10 hours, until the chicken is tender.
- Shred the chicken with a fork and mix it with the liquid in the slow cooker.
- If desired, serve the shredded chicken with sliced jalapeños, sliced onions, chopped tomatoes, diced avocado, shredded cheese, and/or sour cream.
Find more keto recipes like this one on our Pinterest !
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.
(Recipe and photos via Kristie Sullivan / Victory Belt)