The Cannes red carpet wasn’t all about mastering the art of Jennifer Lopez-levels of nearly-naked dressing. Pre-premiere photocalls and press conferences get the stars out before dark, calling for celebs to trade in their typical black tie (and flats-free) dress code for cocktail attire that’s just as gorg. Really we couldn’t have asked for better around-the-clock fashion inspo. But it gets better: this year, celebs seemed to all agree on the perfect semi-formal, daytime-appropriate look, and it turns out that style is as easy to wear as dressy clothes get.
The dress trend spotted during the AM hours of the film fest was long sleeved frocks with short (but not mini) hemlines, a simple style that’s more Kate Middleton-approved than what you’d expect to see on some trendsetting starlets (but then again, everyone needs a break from tricky necklines sometimes). As you can see, the mix of all-over coverage up top and short-but-not-too-short bottom half is an insanely versatile one. Since it works with nearly any silhouette, from Rachel Weisz’s classic shift to Emily Blunt’s tea-length number to Rooney Mara’s fit and flare set, you can easily find “the one” in a style that flatters your bod best. Vibe-wise, it’s the perfect balance of refined and relaxed, a trait that makes the style feel timeless. It looks just as bombshell on Amy Poehler and Charlize Theron as it does on Diane Kruger and Emma Stone. Really, this one wins *all* of the sartorial gold stars.
If you’re anything like us, by now you’re ready to slip into this style, and the timing couldn’t be better: the brisk South-of-France seaside climate matches the spring-to-summer weather we’re having right now stateside, which means this look is perfect for your next big event you have marked on your cal. Scroll through to shop our five favorite long-sleeve styles to wear to work, on a night out, to your bestie’s wedding and beyond.
1. Vila Asymmetric Look Long Sleeve Wrap Dress ($73): This asymmetrical wrap dress has the same breezy feeling of the classic silhouette with a minimalist twist. With a pair of black lace-up booties or some pointed-toe mules, this frock is totally brunch-worthy.
2. COS Contrast Tunic Dress ($115): Up your office attire with this color block tunic dress that has the same structural quality as a tailored suit without being blatantly menswear-inspired. Hit that mark with a pair of platform brogues.
3. American Apparel Jungle Leaves Print Tent Dress ($54): Slip on this printed tent dress for your next day date with a pair of trendy white sneakers, oversized sunnies and a bold red lip to pull it all together.
4. Mango Striped Satin Dress ($100): We found your next wedding guest dress. Thanks to the classic cut and the elegant metallic sheen, this dress can work wonders in your wardrobe all year long — just pair with your go-to black pumps.
5. a.drea Long Sleeve Lace Bodycon Dress ($71): GNO or date night calls for this sheer two-piece dress. Keep the vibe playful and punky with messy waves and clunky ankle booties, and don’t forget your baddest statement clutch.
Is a long-sleeved summer dress in the cards for you this upcoming season? Tell us about your perfect semi-formal summer dress in the comments below.
(Photos via Clemens Bilan, Tristan Fewings, Samir Hussein + Ian Gavan/Getty)