Macro bowls are the “choose your own adventure” of healthy and delicious eating. Similar to a rice bowl and a simplified form of balanced eating, they’re typically comprised of a grain base, raw or cooked veggies, a protein of your choice and a healthy fat like avocado, hummus or a tasty homemade dressing. They’re called macro bowls because they hit all your macronutrients: carbs, protein and fat. From Asian to Mexican to Italian, any of your favorite cuisines can be broken down into a macro bowl that will actually make you fall in love with healthy, clean eating. Your only dilemma will be which one to make first!
1. Macro Bowl With Carrot-Ginger-Almond Sauce: Everyone’s favorite sushi restaurant salad dressing tops this veggie-filled dinner. Buy pre-cooked rice to make this recipe even easier and quicker to get on the table after work. (via Coconut and Berries)
2. Macro Bowl With Turmeric-Tahini Dressing: Dust off that jar of tahini you bought to make hummus and put it to good use as a macro bowl dressing. Turmeric has anti-inflammatory properties, which make this healthy bowl a perfect way to refuel after a hard workout. (via Keepin’ It Kind)
3. Get-Healthy Macro Bowls: Mix together a fermented carrot salad, quinoa and black beans for this healthy bowl. Whip up the garlicky tahini dressing and you have a meal fit for a (healthy) queen! (via A House in the Hills)
4. Roasted Vegetable Bulgur Bowl With Lamb Meatballs: Macro bowls become a date night-worthy dinner with the addition of lamb meatballs in this dish. Bulgur is a delicious switch up on the traditional whole grain favorites like quinoa or brown rice too. (via Uproot Kitchen)
5. Soba Noodles With Roasted Tomatoes, Mushrooms and Eggs: Soba noodles are a great gluten-free alternative to traditional pasta because they are made from buckwheat flour (which, despite the name, is not actually a wheat or grain). Their nutty flavor enhances the umami flavor of mushrooms and eggs in this bowl. (via Cook Nourish Bliss)
6. Sweet Potato Hemp Seed Quinoa Bowls: Make this Meatless Monday a Mexican-themed one by eating this macro bowl filled with sweet potatoes and black beans. The avocado on top is a must-have and, if you eat dairy, try adding some cheddar cheese too. (via Making Thyme for Health)
7. Southwestern Veggie Bowl: Skip the lines at Chipotle during lunch and pack this recipe instead. Sweet potatoes keep you satisfied and the veggies will make you feel energized all afternoon long. (via One Sweet Mess)
8. Deconstructed Sushi Bowl: Forget rolling your own sushi — eat it out of a bowl instead! This is an even healthier version of sushi because it’s packed with veggies like carrots, cucumbers and cabbage. Try it with brown rice for an added dose of whole grains. (via Hungry Happens)
9. Curried Red Lentil & Quinoa Bowls With Cilantro-Mint Chutney: Indian food might not always be traditionally healthy but this recipe lightens up your favorite curry. Be sure to make extra chutney because you’ll want to slather it over absolutely everything. (via Oh My Veggies)
10. Buddha Bowl With Spinach, Marinated Tofu, Kimchi and Soy-Miso Dressing: Kimchi is made from fermented vegetables and helps improve digestion and reduce inflammation. Spinach, tofu and carrots round out this recipe to make it healthy enough for any night of the week. (via Avocado a Day)
11. Brown Rice Miso Macro Bowl: If you haven’t started cooking with miso yet, this recipe will be the nudge you need to start. This meal is full of fiber and totally balanced in carbohydrates, proteins and healthy fats. Bonus: It takes less than 10 minutes to put together, but tastes like it took hours to make. (via Nutrition Stripped)
Want even more healthy recipes? Be sure to check us out on Pinterest!