From the moment we heard that Miley Cyrus was going to be the host of this year’s VMAs we knew we were in for a treat (or maybe more like a psychedelic trip). And damn, we’ll be the first to say that the performer and Instagram sensation definitely did not disappoint. In addition to performing with a stage full of drag queens, dropping a surprise album and dealing with a very angry Nicki Minaj, Miley had her hands full with oh-so-many costume changes, all of which are all just as insane as you’d expect. While they probably won’t serve you well for everyday style inspo, they are perfect for Halloween. If you’re up for a super current costume this year, here’s how to channel some of Miley’s best VMA outfits.
The Raving Golfer Get-up
1. How to DIY it: For this raver/golfer-inspired look start with the visor, which you can find here. Then use your sewing skills to embellish a simple red skirt with a giant lip shape (we’d make that just like we would a basic pillow) and then glue or sew it to the skirt. Cover everything up top with a multi-colored bandeau top. Finish the look with a rainbow manicure and the shiniest boots you can find. (Photo via Kevork Djansezian/Getty)
The Barely There Jeweled Number
2. How to DIY it: This one is certainly not for the timid. If you want to rock Miley’s super scandalous VMA outfit we recommend spray painting some super wide elastic silver to use as the top. Throwing this skirt on to complete the look. If you really want those jewels, grab some giant rhinestones and hot glue them in a similar formation. (Photo via Frazer Harrison/Getty)
The 3D Inspirational Dress
3. How to DIY it: For this get-up grab a cheap, long-sleeved body-con dress and dye it pink. Then use pink mylar to create the letters using this tutorial that show you how to create custom shapes out of the material. To craft that funky hair accessory we’d get a plastic pig mask from the party store and cut out the ears + nose, then reconstruct it into a hairpiece using copious amounts of super glue. (Photo via Jason Merritt/Getty)
The Vinyl Polka Dot Dress
4. How to DIY it: For this Lady Gaga-esque number grab a simple, white a-line dress and some balloons. Then simply blow up the balloons and glue them to the dress. We’d definitely recommend bringing a few backup balloons with you though because you never know when one could pop. Throw your locks into the highest of high ponytails, rock some sleek white framed sunnies and voila, you’re just being Miley. (Photo via Kevork Djansezian/Getty)
The Flower Power Jumpsuit
5. How to DIY it: Obviously finding a sequined jumpsuit would be awesome but if you’re struggling, grab a plain black jumpsuit and use a q-tip + fabric paint to create a similar motif. To make the shawl buy a basic cropped sweater at the thrift store and go to town gluing fake flowers onto it. Deconstructing a bunch of lei necklaces would probably be the cheapest, most colorful option. (Photo via Kevork Djansezian/Getty)
The Rainbow Box
6. How to DIY it: This definitely isn’t going to be the easiest outfit to get around in, but it looks awesome, and it’s pretty easy to make. Head to the fabric store and find some material that’s rainbow striped and stretchy. Then cut a piece of cardboard to the size of your liking and cover it with the fabric. Be sure to make it a little bit looser in front so there is enough room for your body. Leave the bottom open and cut holes for your head and arms. Top the look off with as many bangles as you can find.
The Grand Finale
7. How to DIY it: If you’re up for a serious project, this piece designed by BCALLA is definitely the way to go, but be warned you’re going to have to get pretty crafty here. We’d start by embellishing a low-cut, pink leotard with an eye patch made from cardstock. Then we’d grab some cheap, white leggings and cut one leg off. Use fabric paint on the remaining leg to create a pattern similar to Miley’s. Then top off the look with the most colorful sneakers you can find, a purple glove and of course, some peace sign glasses. (Photo via Kevork Djansezian/Getty)
Pro Halloween Tip: If you and your buds are major Miley fans, we vote you each dress up as a different VMA Miley to create what’s bound to be the craziest group costume of 2015.
Which of these outfits do you like best? Share with us in the comments below.