Why You’re Not Getting Promoted and How to Fix It
You’ve been working for your company for a while now, putting in extra hours and doing your best work, hoping it’ll pay off — literally. But at this point, it’s starting to feel like it might never happen, and you’re desperately trying to figure out the reasons you’re not getting a promotion. Well, it’s actually pretty simple: You need to #askformore. Easier said than done, we know. That’s why we asked women’s leadership expert, author of The Confidence Effect and all-around #girlboss Grace Killelea for help.
First off, Grace says it’s important to understand that career gaps between men and women are a product of the way we’re socialized. “Women are told to be ‘good girls’ and to ‘wait our turns,’ while men are socialized to ask for more and are comfortable letting go of the tactical so they can be more strategic.” While it’s hard to change societal patterns, there are factors that are preventing you from climbing that corporate ladder that are within your power to change. Grace shared the following five important reasons you haven’t been promoted yet.
Why You Haven’t Been Promoted
1. You haven’t asked. “We don’t ask to be promoted. Simply put, we don’t raise our hands.”
2. You’re too quiet. “We don’t speak up enough,” Grace tells us. “We want to formulate perfect answers, so we stay quiet in meetings. Someone else may have our idea later on, but we get no credit.”
3. You’re working too hard! (Yes, you read that right!). “We stay heads down in the work. We don’t learn to delegate and take too much on ourselves.”
4. Impostor syndrome. “We tell ourselves we aren’t ready. Failing to take a chance, take a risk and stretching to that next level,” she says.
5. You haven’t made connections. “We don’t have networks supporting us and don’t have corporate champions (many times these are men) who can help get us noticed in the organization. We don’t form networks because we are too busy working.”
How to Get Promoted
If those hit a little too close to home, don’t fear! Grace has some fool-proof tips to help you speak up, raise your hand and network your way to to the top.
1. Make connections. “Building relationships with people internally and externally to our organizations is critical,” Grace says. “You have to be purposeful and respectful. Many leaders will make the time if you ask. Don’t underestimate the value of relationships with peers and subordinates.”
2. Build a personal brand. “Your personal brand is a combination of many things, including reputation, gravitas, appearance, communication, presentation, fashion, style, grace, grit… all the things that permeate and surround you as you go about your day. It is both a reflection and extension of you. The more purposeful you are about how you present your brand, the more powerful it will be. Your brand and your reputation are interchangeable,” she says.
“I believe all brands are built on the four R’s: relationships, reputation, results and resilience. Each of these four pillars is a critical component of a strong brand. Who do you know and what do you do to support those relationships? What do people say about you when you aren’t in the room? Do you get things done, over the finish line and with quality? And finally, how to you react when things go badly? Do you bounce back from adversity and challenges? If you can master each of these, you’ll have an unbeatable brand.”
3. Build confidence. “Fake it till you make it, and do it ’til you are through it! Understanding why you lack confidence matters. Pay attention to the negative self talk and behaviors you are exhibiting. Build a network. Ask for what you want, and pay attention to what you get,” Grace tells us.
Bottom line: “Show up. Suit up. Speak up. Stop apologizing and start right now.”
Are you frustrated by not moving up the corporate ladder? Tweet us which of these tips rang true for you @BritandCo!
Photos via Getty + Additional reporting by Lovelle Harris
Your relationship with your finances is one of the most important relationships you'll ever have, and you can't avoid it. That said, for many of us, the pandemic only added to our financial stress. If you find yourself feeling frazzled, just remember that financial insecurity isn't a net-worth issue — it's a mindset issue. And, we happen to have plenty of advice on how to turn your money mindset around so you can take charge of your funds once and for all.
To start, feeling secure begins with a strong foundation, and there's no better time than now to get started stacking the bricks. It's easy to get swept up in the January "new year, new me" mentality, but really? Any time is the right time to get yourself in order. You don't need to wait for a new year, a new moon, the right moment, or a sign from above. You don't even have to start on the first day of the month — you just need to start.
Introducing NerdWallet: A Safe and Reliable Money App
To help with that, we've put together a list of the just-right-for-you ways that NerdWallet can help you monitor your financial outlook. Haven't heard of them yet? NerdWallet is a personal finance company that helps consumers make smarter financial decisions. Their website and app let you compare different financial products, find articles and tools to make financial decisions with confidence, and keep tabs on your finances (hey there, credit score, I see you!) all in one place. Plus, NerdWallet has over 75,000 glowing reviews in the App Store (and a 4.8 star rating) if you want to read up on any more testimonials.
Tim Chen, NerdWallet's CEO and co-founder, started this financial journey in 2009 after his sister needed help finding a credit card. Even with an economics degree and a Wall Street background, it took awhile for Tim to find the right recommendation (so don't feel too bad when it takes you a while, too). Their mission is to bring clarity to all of life's financial decisions.
So it's safe to say that NerdWallet is a pretty good sherpa for your journey, too.
Get the most from your money
Did you know that the money you park in a savings account can lose value? Harsh, but true. If your money isn't earning interest that's on pace with inflation it will actually be worth less to you in the future. And if the bank charges fees? Forget about it. Make sure you're earning the interest you deserve and come out on top. NerdWallet has researched dozens of financial institutions to help consumers find the best options. The hard work has already been done for you, so you can just select the account that works best for you and your nest egg.
Keep an eye on everything, securely
Once everything is set up, tracking and managing your finances is what will keep the money machine running smoothly. You can create an account either through the site or the app and link your bank accounts, then keep tabs on all your finances in one place. Get a clear picture of your saving and spending, get insights into how to master your money, and even build your credit score all in one place.
Get extra credit points
Do you have the best credit card for your lifestyle? Some cards give cash back on every purchase, ones with travel perks, and ones that charge way less interest than you're paying now. NerdWallet takes the guesswork out of choosing the right credit card with simple side-by-side comparisons of different credit cards so that you feel confident choosing the right one. Whatever you want to do, NerdWallet can help you find the best credit card to get it done.
Know your options for settling down
Mortgage rates are pretty low and it looks like they're going to stay that way for awhile, so buying a home might be the move sooner than you think. But there's so much more to a mortgage than just the interest rate! To help you choose a mortgage lender, NerdWallet has in-depth reviews on multiple lenders in a mixture of categories so you get the home loan with the mortgage rate, term, and fees that's right for you.
Settle an old score
NerdWallet helps you monitor your credit score for free and helps you see how little things (like raising the limit on your credit card or paying your bills on time) can increase your score. NerdWallet partners with TransUnion® to provide your VantageScore® 3.0, based on information in your TransUnion® credit report. Your score and credit report information are updated weekly. But that's not even close to all:
- They provide you with tips from experts on how you could build or optimize your credit score
- You'll get a detailed look at your credit score and all the factors that go into it—your payment history, credit utilization, the age and type of accounts, balances, and any recent inquiries
- The credit simulator tool gives you an idea of how your credit score would change if you applied for a new credit card, closed your oldest credit card, or got a new auto loan
- You also get free, unlimited access to your credit report
When it comes to managing your money, safe and reliable is where it's at. Establishing a healthy relationship with your finances begins when you take control and practice habits that build wealth. Signing up just takes a few minutes. Set your intentions to build a solid financial foundation, it will only strengthen your relationship with your finances. And don't be afraid to get a little nerdy while you're at it.