Morning Buzz! Khloé Kardashian Makes an Important Point With This Response to Skinny-Shamers + More
TGIF! Settle into your weekend with these top news items from this morning, from another entry into the unrealistic female beauty standards debate to some weird new baby name trends, plus more.
First I'm too fat and now I'm too skinny. I love this game!!
— Khloé (@khloekardashian) July 28, 2016
1. Khloé Kardashian fires back at critics for saying she’s gotten too skinny. Our Kardashian soul sister has worked hard in the gym and changed her eating habits to drop 40 pounds and enjoy a trimmer and fitter physique, and now the transformation is reminding Khloé just how ridiculous the beauty standards that women put up with every day really are. “Never would I have ever thought I would be in the media for being ‘too skinny,'” Khloé tweeted, referencing criticisms of her body when she was also 40 pounds heavier. “First I’m too fat and now I’m too skinny,” she said, followed by a sarcastic, “I love this game!!” It perfectly underlines not only the impossible task of making others happy, but the constant scrutiny and uninvited commentary women put up with. You go, Khloé.
2. Halsey reveals she had a miscarriage on tour and had to go on stage hours later. In an emotional and revealing interview with Rolling Stone, the pop star says that she got pregnant in 2015 on her Badlands tour, but her stressful lifestyle of traveling and overworking likely led to the miscarriage. She and her team decided not to cancel the Chicago show for that same night, and Halsey says she gave the angriest performance of her life, feeling afterwards like she wasn’t human anymore. It’s had a lasting effect on Halsey, who honestly admitted that “I want to be a mom more than I want to be a pop star. More than I want to be anything in the world.” (Photo via Kevin Winter/Getty)
3. Take note: Jenna Dewan Tatum has some family advice for all of those who consider her and Channing #relationshipgoals. Admit it: We all aspire to be as in love and adorable a family as these two, and in a new interview with People, Jenna admits that even the most perfect pair themselves need hard work and effort. “I think it’s important to be conscious about giving everyone equal attention,” she said on balancing being a wife and a mom. “I’ll think, ‘Okay, I’ve been with my daughter a lot, so Channing and I need a date night. Some days I am better at it than others, but I just try to figure it out. Like everyone else! But I do think it’s important to consciously think about it.” *Furiously takes notes.* (Photo via Pascal Le Segretain/Getty)
View this post on Instagram
Hey all! It's @madison.utendahl, @museumoficecream 's Social Media Director, I'm back to give you the inside #SCOOP on The Museum of Ice Cream. We are obsessed with our sprinkle pool. Here's another POV! 🍦 #MOIC #museumoficecream #icecream
A post shared by Museum of Ice Cream (@museumoficecream) on
4. There is now a museum dedicated to ice cream, and it is what summer dreams are made of. Before we go any further, we should disclose that this bad boy is already entirely sold out for its month-long pop-up, but following the adorable Instagram is just as good, right? Look at that SPRINKLE POOL! The Museum of Ice Cream will open this weekend in NYC’s Meatpacking District, and the month-long interactive pop-up promises to be a “lick-able, likeable, shareable ice cream-centric experience throughout August.” We want to go to there.
5. Because it is Friday, please enjoy this gratuitous video of teeny fluffy new baby tiger cubs at the London Zoo. Because you deserve it.
6. Quote of the day: “When there are no ceilings, the sky’s the limit.” Hillary Clinton in her DNC speech after officially accepting the Democratic nomination for President of the United States last night.
Do you have any big summer weekend plans? Let us know on Twitter @BritandCo!
(Featured photo via @khloekardashian)
Your relationship with your finances is one of the most important relationships you'll ever have, and you can't avoid it. That said, for many of us, the pandemic only added to our financial stress. If you find yourself feeling frazzled, just remember that financial insecurity isn't a net-worth issue — it's a mindset issue. And, we happen to have plenty of advice on how to turn your money mindset around so you can take charge of your funds once and for all.
To start, feeling secure begins with a strong foundation, and there's no better time than now to get started stacking the bricks. It's easy to get swept up in the January "new year, new me" mentality, but really? Any time is the right time to get yourself in order. You don't need to wait for a new year, a new moon, the right moment, or a sign from above. You don't even have to start on the first day of the month — you just need to start.
Introducing NerdWallet: A Safe and Reliable Money App
To help with that, we've put together a list of the just-right-for-you ways that NerdWallet can help you monitor your financial outlook. Haven't heard of them yet? NerdWallet is a personal finance company that helps consumers make smarter financial decisions. Their website and app let you compare different financial products, find articles and tools to make financial decisions with confidence, and keep tabs on your finances (hey there, credit score, I see you!) all in one place. Plus, NerdWallet has over 75,000 glowing reviews in the App Store (and a 4.8 star rating) if you want to read up on any more testimonials.
Tim Chen, NerdWallet's CEO and co-founder, started this financial journey in 2009 after his sister needed help finding a credit card. Even with an economics degree and a Wall Street background, it took awhile for Tim to find the right recommendation (so don't feel too bad when it takes you a while, too). Their mission is to bring clarity to all of life's financial decisions.
So it's safe to say that NerdWallet is a pretty good sherpa for your journey, too.
Get the most from your money
Did you know that the money you park in a savings account can lose value? Harsh, but true. If your money isn't earning interest that's on pace with inflation it will actually be worth less to you in the future. And if the bank charges fees? Forget about it. Make sure you're earning the interest you deserve and come out on top. NerdWallet has researched dozens of financial institutions to help consumers find the best options. The hard work has already been done for you, so you can just select the account that works best for you and your nest egg.
Keep an eye on everything, securely
Once everything is set up, tracking and managing your finances is what will keep the money machine running smoothly. You can create an account either through the site or the app and link your bank accounts, then keep tabs on all your finances in one place. Get a clear picture of your saving and spending, get insights into how to master your money, and even build your credit score all in one place.
Get extra credit points
Do you have the best credit card for your lifestyle? Some cards give cash back on every purchase, ones with travel perks, and ones that charge way less interest than you're paying now. NerdWallet takes the guesswork out of choosing the right credit card with simple side-by-side comparisons of different credit cards so that you feel confident choosing the right one. Whatever you want to do, NerdWallet can help you find the best credit card to get it done.
Know your options for settling down
Mortgage rates are pretty low and it looks like they're going to stay that way for awhile, so buying a home might be the move sooner than you think. But there's so much more to a mortgage than just the interest rate! To help you choose a mortgage lender, NerdWallet has in-depth reviews on multiple lenders in a mixture of categories so you get the home loan with the mortgage rate, term, and fees that's right for you.
Settle an old score
NerdWallet helps you monitor your credit score for free and helps you see how little things (like raising the limit on your credit card or paying your bills on time) can increase your score. NerdWallet partners with TransUnion® to provide your VantageScore® 3.0, based on information in your TransUnion® credit report. Your score and credit report information are updated weekly. But that's not even close to all:
- They provide you with tips from experts on how you could build or optimize your credit score
- You'll get a detailed look at your credit score and all the factors that go into it—your payment history, credit utilization, the age and type of accounts, balances, and any recent inquiries
- The credit simulator tool gives you an idea of how your credit score would change if you applied for a new credit card, closed your oldest credit card, or got a new auto loan
- You also get free, unlimited access to your credit report
When it comes to managing your money, safe and reliable is where it's at. Establishing a healthy relationship with your finances begins when you take control and practice habits that build wealth. Signing up just takes a few minutes. Set your intentions to build a solid financial foundation, it will only strengthen your relationship with your finances. And don't be afraid to get a little nerdy while you're at it.