15 Creative Ways to Celebrate National Handwriting Day
Whether loopy and prim, boxy and precise or doctor-status illegible, our handwriting is as much a part of who we are as our fingerprints. (Fun fact: Your handwriting is actually an indicator of your personality!) When it comes to self-love, appreciating your own handwriting isn’t exactly difficult. While we could ogle the perfect penmanship of our fave calligrapher crushes any day of the year, one day in particular is extra special. For 24 hours, those in the know will be celebrating all things calligraphic, from favored writing utensils to graphic tees to childhood chicken-scratch and everything in between. Dot your i’s and cross your t’s, y’all, ’cause it’s National Handwriting Day!
1. Color Block Pens ($5): Unless you’re getting cray with the finger paint, handwriting is inevitably an extension of you through the mightiest of utensils: the pen!
2. Explosions in the Sky Notebook ($12): Annnnnddddd unless you’re still annoying roommates with crayon on the wall, your gorgeous scrawl needs a place to go. Where better than in a 75 percent recycled, acid-free notebook?
4. Calligraphy Kit ($60): When it comes to taking your handwriting skills to the next level, there’s only so far you can go with a sparkly gel pen and a composition notebook. Up your game with the right tools, all included in this handy set.
5. Stay Focused Pouch ($12): If you’re anything like us, you always have a pen or two at the bottom of your purse. Keep ’em organized in this rad pencil pouch.
6. Chalkboard Balloons ($20): Really celebrate on this most sacred of holidays by writing all over party balloons with a chalk pen. Is it even possible to display your handwriting any better?
7. Custom Stationery Class ($19): Because National Handwriting Day falls on a weekend this year, take some time to craft your own stationery, complete with your pretty hand lettering.
8. Gold Leaf Kit ($15): You know that your word is gold, so why not gild it — literally? Use a calligraphy brush to paint adhesive on your paper of choice and then apply some gold leaf.
9. Calligraphy Wall Art Kit ($50): You don’t have to be an expert oil painter to create museum-worthy wall art. Turn your salon wall into a shrine for all things handwritten by making your own calligraphy wall art.
11. Hand-Lettering Online Class ($19): Every once in awhile, there comes a time when you just have to change the shape of your g’s. Live the thrill of getting to write the word “giggle” by practicing all kinds of new lettering forms with this class.
13. Brush Calligraphy Online Class ($29): Turn your favorite quotes into stunning pieces of art! We think “The pen is mightier than the sword” would be a fitting place to start.
14. Graffiti Fabric Marker Set ($15): Got handwriting that could make Times New Roman envious? Inscribe it on a tee or tote and wear it proud, girl!
15. Polka Dot Recipe Box + Cards ($34): Pencils up if you have a coveted collection of your great grandma’s secret pie crust recipe! Jot down your favorite recipes for your own progeny to adore. Get scribbling!
It can be intimidating to step out on your own and build a business from the ground up. As part of our collaboration with Office Depot, we're talking with Selfmade alum and solopreneur Colette Lawrence, the faith-based motivator and relationship builder behind The M.E.E. Movement, about ways in which women in business can find success.
B + C: How did you know M.E.E. Movement was your business to start?
The M.E.E Movement represents motivation, empowerment, and encouragement for women. It is what represents me. I did not know at first that it was my business to start, but then the thought of monetizing what I loved came to me. It scared me, however. I registered the business in July 2020 and have been slowly building my wings since.
B + C: What's one strategy that's helped you start your business?
Thinking through and researching what the requirements are to start my business, and then asking questions of people who are in the business. Not all advice worked; however, it helped me to figure out what I needed to do and not to do.
B + C: Did you always know life coaching would be your entrepreneurial path?
(Smiles) No, I did not. I 'stumbled" on it. I knew that people were always coming to me for advice and I found that I loved having conversations with them, especially with women, young and old.
B + C: What was your most valuable takeaway from Selfmade?
My most valuable takeaway was the first day of training: Get out of your own way. There were a lot of great moments and important takeaways from every presenter. However, getting out of my own way, pushing past doubts, was for me my most valuable takeaway. Doing something that I had never done before took courage. If I do not focus on what is happening with me mentally then I cannot deliver to my clients successfully.
B + C: What's one piece of advice you would give to female entrepreneurs on the brink of starting?
Get out of your head. You have something to offer. You have what you need to succeed so go ahead and do it.
B + C: How do you stay motivated?
I stay motivated by listening to music and listening to motivational speakers, and sometimes someone will just reach out and talk about the impact that I made in their life. That adds the extra juice or sauce I need to pummel through the day.
B + C: What's your best organizational tip?
Keep a diary and journal. It's the best way for me to keep organized and it also provides a source motivation as I record not only my "losses" but my wins as well.
B + C: Who inspires you in the entrepreneurial space?
Shirley Toliver – She motivates and empowers and makes me always want to show up.
B + C: What has receiving the Office Depot scholarship to Selfmade done to help you start or grow your business?
The scholarship was a blessing in that all the areas that were covered offered valuable information that I needed, from social media to HR. As a new business owner, I needed to know this to increase my own personal awareness in what it takes to run a successful business. The candidness of the presenters made it easy to see myself in their shoes and helped me to realize that I can also get there.
Want to feel motivated to take the next step for your business? Let Office Depot OfficeMax give you the confidence you need with a suite of business services & solutions to help you put your best foot forward. Make a good first impression with business cards & build the business pitch of your dreams with custom presentations. With Office Depot OfficeMax you'll find the tools to reach new customers with confidence.
Head to Office Depot's Selfmade page to check out even more amazing business resources (and discounts!) to help you accomplish more on your entrepreneurial journey. These offers are available for a limited time only, so be sure to take advantage of all this goodness while supplies last. Want to join the next Selfmade cohort this summer? Check out all of the scholarship details right here.