15 Creative Ways to Celebrate National Handwriting Day
Whether loopy and prim, boxy and precise or doctor-status illegible, our handwriting is as much a part of who we are as our fingerprints. (Fun fact: Your handwriting is actually an indicator of your personality!) When it comes to self-love, appreciating your own handwriting isn’t exactly difficult. While we could ogle the perfect penmanship of our fave calligrapher crushes any day of the year, one day in particular is extra special. For 24 hours, those in the know will be celebrating all things calligraphic, from favored writing utensils to graphic tees to childhood chicken-scratch and everything in between. Dot your i’s and cross your t’s, y’all, ’cause it’s National Handwriting Day!
1. Color Block Pens ($5): Unless you’re getting cray with the finger paint, handwriting is inevitably an extension of you through the mightiest of utensils: the pen!
2. Explosions in the Sky Notebook ($12): Annnnnddddd unless you’re still annoying roommates with crayon on the wall, your gorgeous scrawl needs a place to go. Where better than in a 75 percent recycled, acid-free notebook?
4. Calligraphy Kit ($60): When it comes to taking your handwriting skills to the next level, there’s only so far you can go with a sparkly gel pen and a composition notebook. Up your game with the right tools, all included in this handy set.
5. Stay Focused Pouch ($12): If you’re anything like us, you always have a pen or two at the bottom of your purse. Keep ’em organized in this rad pencil pouch.
6. Chalkboard Balloons ($20): Really celebrate on this most sacred of holidays by writing all over party balloons with a chalk pen. Is it even possible to display your handwriting any better?
7. Custom Stationery Class ($19): Because National Handwriting Day falls on a weekend this year, take some time to craft your own stationery, complete with your pretty hand lettering.
8. Gold Leaf Kit ($15): You know that your word is gold, so why not gild it — literally? Use a calligraphy brush to paint adhesive on your paper of choice and then apply some gold leaf.
9. Calligraphy Wall Art Kit ($50): You don’t have to be an expert oil painter to create museum-worthy wall art. Turn your salon wall into a shrine for all things handwritten by making your own calligraphy wall art.
11. Hand-Lettering Online Class ($19): Every once in awhile, there comes a time when you just have to change the shape of your g’s. Live the thrill of getting to write the word “giggle” by practicing all kinds of new lettering forms with this class.
13. Brush Calligraphy Online Class ($29): Turn your favorite quotes into stunning pieces of art! We think “The pen is mightier than the sword” would be a fitting place to start.
14. Graffiti Fabric Marker Set ($15): Got handwriting that could make Times New Roman envious? Inscribe it on a tee or tote and wear it proud, girl!
15. Polka Dot Recipe Box + Cards ($34): Pencils up if you have a coveted collection of your great grandma’s secret pie crust recipe! Jot down your favorite recipes for your own progeny to adore. Get scribbling!
Your relationship with your finances is one of the most important relationships you'll ever have, and you can't avoid it. That said, for many of us, the pandemic only added to our financial stress. If you find yourself feeling frazzled, just remember that financial insecurity isn't a net-worth issue — it's a mindset issue. And, we happen to have plenty of advice on how to turn your money mindset around so you can take charge of your funds once and for all.
To start, feeling secure begins with a strong foundation, and there's no better time than now to get started stacking the bricks. It's easy to get swept up in the January "new year, new me" mentality, but really? Any time is the right time to get yourself in order. You don't need to wait for a new year, a new moon, the right moment, or a sign from above. You don't even have to start on the first day of the month — you just need to start.
Introducing NerdWallet: A Safe and Reliable Money App
To help with that, we've put together a list of the just-right-for-you ways that NerdWallet can help you monitor your financial outlook. Haven't heard of them yet? NerdWallet is a personal finance company that helps consumers make smarter financial decisions. Their website and app let you compare different financial products, find articles and tools to make financial decisions with confidence, and keep tabs on your finances (hey there, credit score, I see you!) all in one place. Plus, NerdWallet has over 75,000 glowing reviews in the App Store (and a 4.8 star rating) if you want to read up on any more testimonials.
Tim Chen, NerdWallet's CEO and co-founder, started this financial journey in 2009 after his sister needed help finding a credit card. Even with an economics degree and a Wall Street background, it took awhile for Tim to find the right recommendation (so don't feel too bad when it takes you a while, too). Their mission is to bring clarity to all of life's financial decisions.
So it's safe to say that NerdWallet is a pretty good sherpa for your journey, too.
Get the most from your money
Did you know that the money you park in a savings account can lose value? Harsh, but true. If your money isn't earning interest that's on pace with inflation it will actually be worth less to you in the future. And if the bank charges fees? Forget about it. Make sure you're earning the interest you deserve and come out on top. NerdWallet has researched dozens of financial institutions to help consumers find the best options. The hard work has already been done for you, so you can just select the account that works best for you and your nest egg.
Keep an eye on everything, securely
Once everything is set up, tracking and managing your finances is what will keep the money machine running smoothly. You can create an account either through the site or the app and link your bank accounts, then keep tabs on all your finances in one place. Get a clear picture of your saving and spending, get insights into how to master your money, and even build your credit score all in one place.
Get extra credit points
Do you have the best credit card for your lifestyle? Some cards give cash back on every purchase, ones with travel perks, and ones that charge way less interest than you're paying now. NerdWallet takes the guesswork out of choosing the right credit card with simple side-by-side comparisons of different credit cards so that you feel confident choosing the right one. Whatever you want to do, NerdWallet can help you find the best credit card to get it done.
Know your options for settling down
Mortgage rates are pretty low and it looks like they're going to stay that way for awhile, so buying a home might be the move sooner than you think. But there's so much more to a mortgage than just the interest rate! To help you choose a mortgage lender, NerdWallet has in-depth reviews on multiple lenders in a mixture of categories so you get the home loan with the mortgage rate, term, and fees that's right for you.
Settle an old score
NerdWallet helps you monitor your credit score for free and helps you see how little things (like raising the limit on your credit card or paying your bills on time) can increase your score. NerdWallet partners with TransUnion® to provide your VantageScore® 3.0, based on information in your TransUnion® credit report. Your score and credit report information are updated weekly. But that's not even close to all:
- They provide you with tips from experts on how you could build or optimize your credit score
- You'll get a detailed look at your credit score and all the factors that go into it—your payment history, credit utilization, the age and type of accounts, balances, and any recent inquiries
- The credit simulator tool gives you an idea of how your credit score would change if you applied for a new credit card, closed your oldest credit card, or got a new auto loan
- You also get free, unlimited access to your credit report
When it comes to managing your money, safe and reliable is where it's at. Establishing a healthy relationship with your finances begins when you take control and practice habits that build wealth. Signing up just takes a few minutes. Set your intentions to build a solid financial foundation, it will only strengthen your relationship with your finances. And don't be afraid to get a little nerdy while you're at it.