15 Creative Ways to Celebrate National Handwriting Day
Whether loopy and prim, boxy and precise or doctor-status illegible, our handwriting is as much a part of who we are as our fingerprints. (Fun fact: Your handwriting is actually an indicator of your personality!) When it comes to self-love, appreciating your own handwriting isn’t exactly difficult. While we could ogle the perfect penmanship of our fave calligrapher crushes any day of the year, one day in particular is extra special. For 24 hours, those in the know will be celebrating all things calligraphic, from favored writing utensils to graphic tees to childhood chicken-scratch and everything in between. Dot your i’s and cross your t’s, y’all, ’cause it’s National Handwriting Day!
1. Color Block Pens ($5): Unless you’re getting cray with the finger paint, handwriting is inevitably an extension of you through the mightiest of utensils: the pen!
2. Explosions in the Sky Notebook ($12): Annnnnddddd unless you’re still annoying roommates with crayon on the wall, your gorgeous scrawl needs a place to go. Where better than in a 75 percent recycled, acid-free notebook?
4. Calligraphy Kit ($60): When it comes to taking your handwriting skills to the next level, there’s only so far you can go with a sparkly gel pen and a composition notebook. Up your game with the right tools, all included in this handy set.
5. Stay Focused Pouch ($12): If you’re anything like us, you always have a pen or two at the bottom of your purse. Keep ’em organized in this rad pencil pouch.
6. Chalkboard Balloons ($20): Really celebrate on this most sacred of holidays by writing all over party balloons with a chalk pen. Is it even possible to display your handwriting any better?
7. Custom Stationery Class ($19): Because National Handwriting Day falls on a weekend this year, take some time to craft your own stationery, complete with your pretty hand lettering.
8. Gold Leaf Kit ($15): You know that your word is gold, so why not gild it — literally? Use a calligraphy brush to paint adhesive on your paper of choice and then apply some gold leaf.
9. Calligraphy Wall Art Kit ($50): You don’t have to be an expert oil painter to create museum-worthy wall art. Turn your salon wall into a shrine for all things handwritten by making your own calligraphy wall art.
11. Hand-Lettering Online Class ($19): Every once in awhile, there comes a time when you just have to change the shape of your g’s. Live the thrill of getting to write the word “giggle” by practicing all kinds of new lettering forms with this class.
13. Brush Calligraphy Online Class ($29): Turn your favorite quotes into stunning pieces of art! We think “The pen is mightier than the sword” would be a fitting place to start.
14. Graffiti Fabric Marker Set ($15): Got handwriting that could make Times New Roman envious? Inscribe it on a tee or tote and wear it proud, girl!
15. Polka Dot Recipe Box + Cards ($34): Pencils up if you have a coveted collection of your great grandma’s secret pie crust recipe! Jot down your favorite recipes for your own progeny to adore. Get scribbling!
Back in January, we introduced you to a feel-good cause to inspire your New Year's resolution: a walking challenge to help raise funds for the amazing cancer fighters at The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. I took part in the challenge with the Brit + Co team and ended up walking 105+ miles in January — it was awesome.
This spring, there's a new challenge on the horizon, The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's Big Climb. The ask: On May 15, 2021, you can step up to take cancer down by committing to climb 1,311 steps, walking 3.2 miles, or doing 440 chair step-ups at home as part of the Big Climb. If you need some motivation to bring movement back into your daily routine — look no further!
As always, it's free to sign up, but climbers are encouraged to set a fundraising goal to help beat cancer. We'll be organizing another Brit + Co team to step up, and I hope you'll join us too! Keep scrolling for a peek at where I'll be completing the challenge in my Los Angeles neighborhood around the hidden Silver Lake Stairs. Happy climbing!
Never underestimate the power of an accountability buddy! I asked my in-laws, my partner, and a few friends to join me so we can keep each other motivated and accountable in completing the challenge — virtual high-fives all around! Also, my dog Fox is a great climber, too.
An aesthetically pleasing backdrop is a huge motivator for me! I'm fortunate to have all sorts of painted steps around my neighborhood to keep the challenge interesting, but you can also keep cool inside with at-home chair step-ups.
Don't forget to share your progress on social — #BigClimb!
Feel free to break the challenge up if you need to by tackling half the distance in the AM and half at sunset. Here's me 1,311 steps later and ready for a break — but, think I earned this one!