Potent Portables: 8 Crazy-Looking Speakers You Can Tote Around
Just like any other mobile-minded millennial, we like to take our music on the go. And even though there are plenty of cool and colorful headphones around, we almost always prefer listening to our music unplugged. Remember, we grew up when MTV actually played music on TV, so we’re most comfortable with it blaring all around us instead of being funneled into our ears. For that reason, we turn to portable speakers. While some of them are totally wireless, and others amplify your tunes straight outta your smartphone, these eight all look insanely unique, making it almost impossible for us to ever want to put them down.
1. Music Balloon Speaker ($45): This bulbous, palm-sized speaker is made from a soft, Nerf-like material that amplifies the tunes on your iPod or any other device that has a 35mm jack. We can’t stop giggling over its balloon-inspired shape.
2. Native Union Monocle Portable Speaker ($50): This hand-held portable speaker is a more compact alternative to lifting a bulky boom box on your shoulder to rock out… if anyone ever pulls that move anymore. When you’re not holding it up to your dome, it sits gently on its back or side as it pumps out the jams from your device.
3. Rock-It 3.0 ($22): Meet Rock-It, a magical capsule that turns anything—literally anything—into a speaker. Seriously, grab whatever you have handy—a cardboard box, even your office desk, stick a Rock-It on it, and it is now a speaker! Crazy! The sound quality isn’t superb, but we think this one is a bit more about the spectacle.
4. CERA 3.0 Bluetooth Speaker ($70): CERA 3.0 lets you stream music from up to 33 feet away from its touchscreen-controlled pod, which may look small, but boasts big sound. Looking to bring the noise to even more epic levels? This Bluetooth speaker comes with a daisy chain cable that lets you string multiple speakers together for simultaneous play.
5. Diamond Ring MP3 Speaker ($20): A ring-shaped MP3 player? We’ll say I do to that! Though you actually can’t wear it around your finger Ring Pop style, it does bling out your smartphone—just plug it into the earphone jack.
6. Rocki Play ($49): Rocki is one of the latest successfully funded Kickstarter projects that we’re swooning over. Just plug this pretty, soap-sized geo device into your existing sound system and just like that, Rocki turns your equipment into smart speakers that let you stream music over a wifi connection from any smartphone. So yes, it’s a portable wifi receiver, not a speaker, but since you can control what you hear from your iPhone, we’re calling it close enough.
7. Splash-Proof Speaker by Muji ($75): If you ever splish splash a little too much in the bath right next to where your iPhone is turing tub time into an underwater rave, then you need to check out this phone case-speaker hybrid. Not only does it amplify your tunes while protecting your smartphone from rogue waves, the panel recognizes wet hands, so you can control your tunes without a towel nearby. Besides, in our design-loving eyes, Muji can do no wrong.
8. Pump Soundchuck Portable Speaker ($129): You guys, these speaker shapes just keep getting better, ‘cause check out this pair: they look like nunchucks. Made of durable silicone, these weather-resistant Bluetooth speakers are compact and lightweight, making them your go to for on the go dance parties or warding off evil villains.
Do you tote around a portable speaker? What are the must-have brands? Know of any crazy shaped ones we missed? Tell us in the comments below.
Your relationship with your finances is one of the most important relationships you'll ever have, and you can't avoid it. That said, for many of us, the pandemic only added to our financial stress. If you find yourself feeling frazzled, just remember that financial insecurity isn't a net-worth issue — it's a mindset issue. And, we happen to have plenty of advice on how to turn your money mindset around so you can take charge of your funds once and for all.
To start, feeling secure begins with a strong foundation, and there's no better time than now to get started stacking the bricks. It's easy to get swept up in the January "new year, new me" mentality, but really? Any time is the right time to get yourself in order. You don't need to wait for a new year, a new moon, the right moment, or a sign from above. You don't even have to start on the first day of the month — you just need to start.
Introducing NerdWallet: A Safe and Reliable Money App
To help with that, we've put together a list of the just-right-for-you ways that NerdWallet can help you monitor your financial outlook. Haven't heard of them yet? NerdWallet is a personal finance company that helps consumers make smarter financial decisions. Their website and app let you compare different financial products, find articles and tools to make financial decisions with confidence, and keep tabs on your finances (hey there, credit score, I see you!) all in one place. Plus, NerdWallet has over 75,000 glowing reviews in the App Store (and a 4.8 star rating) if you want to read up on any more testimonials.
Tim Chen, NerdWallet's CEO and co-founder, started this financial journey in 2009 after his sister needed help finding a credit card. Even with an economics degree and a Wall Street background, it took awhile for Tim to find the right recommendation (so don't feel too bad when it takes you a while, too). Their mission is to bring clarity to all of life's financial decisions.
So it's safe to say that NerdWallet is a pretty good sherpa for your journey, too.
Get the most from your money
Did you know that the money you park in a savings account can lose value? Harsh, but true. If your money isn't earning interest that's on pace with inflation it will actually be worth less to you in the future. And if the bank charges fees? Forget about it. Make sure you're earning the interest you deserve and come out on top. NerdWallet has researched dozens of financial institutions to help consumers find the best options. The hard work has already been done for you, so you can just select the account that works best for you and your nest egg.
Keep an eye on everything, securely
Once everything is set up, tracking and managing your finances is what will keep the money machine running smoothly. You can create an account either through the site or the app and link your bank accounts, then keep tabs on all your finances in one place. Get a clear picture of your saving and spending, get insights into how to master your money, and even build your credit score all in one place.
Get extra credit points
Do you have the best credit card for your lifestyle? Some cards give cash back on every purchase, ones with travel perks, and ones that charge way less interest than you're paying now. NerdWallet takes the guesswork out of choosing the right credit card with simple side-by-side comparisons of different credit cards so that you feel confident choosing the right one. Whatever you want to do, NerdWallet can help you find the best credit card to get it done.
Know your options for settling down
Mortgage rates are pretty low and it looks like they're going to stay that way for awhile, so buying a home might be the move sooner than you think. But there's so much more to a mortgage than just the interest rate! To help you choose a mortgage lender, NerdWallet has in-depth reviews on multiple lenders in a mixture of categories so you get the home loan with the mortgage rate, term, and fees that's right for you.
Settle an old score
NerdWallet helps you monitor your credit score for free and helps you see how little things (like raising the limit on your credit card or paying your bills on time) can increase your score. NerdWallet partners with TransUnion® to provide your VantageScore® 3.0, based on information in your TransUnion® credit report. Your score and credit report information are updated weekly. But that's not even close to all:
- They provide you with tips from experts on how you could build or optimize your credit score
- You'll get a detailed look at your credit score and all the factors that go into it—your payment history, credit utilization, the age and type of accounts, balances, and any recent inquiries
- The credit simulator tool gives you an idea of how your credit score would change if you applied for a new credit card, closed your oldest credit card, or got a new auto loan
- You also get free, unlimited access to your credit report
When it comes to managing your money, safe and reliable is where it's at. Establishing a healthy relationship with your finances begins when you take control and practice habits that build wealth. Signing up just takes a few minutes. Set your intentions to build a solid financial foundation, it will only strengthen your relationship with your finances. And don't be afraid to get a little nerdy while you're at it.