12 DIY Ways to Use Real Fall Leaves
When the leaves start falling, don’t rush to rake them up—or completely pulverize them by jumping in a pile over and over and over! As tempting as that may be, reserve a handful or two for some fall-inspired DIYing. These 12 ways to use real fall leaves will transform your living space into a fun, fall wonderland that looks just as festive as the outdoors! And don’t worry: while some of these projects list faux foliage as a material, we’re fairly certain that freshly fallen leaves can stand up to each of these projects.
1. Giving Thanks Gold Leaf Garland: We love the sentiment behind this leaf DIY: each gold painted leaf is personalized with something to be thankful for. This beautiful garland acts as a great reminder to pause, say thanks, and celebrate! (via The Sweetest Occasion)
2. Leaf Pillow Cases: Turn leaves into the ultimate fall stamp with just a bit of black fabric paint. This bold leaf graphic transforms these plain, decorative pillows into a stand-out piece of living room decor. (via Butiksofie)
3. Gold Lead Mobile: As you know by now, mobiles aren’t just for nurseries anymore, so do trick out your ceiling with this dashing gold leaf mobile. Don’t the gilded leaves look gorgeous falling from the natural twig hoop?
4. Clay Leaf Bowls: Don’t be intimidated by this super pro-looking DIY clay leaf bowl. We’ll put things into perspective: a 3-year old made this dish. Yep. And it looks really amazing. Kudos to mom who helped every step of the way and who’s fully responsible for its beautiful, iridescent finish, which you can get by spraying gold paint on a base coat of bright acrylic colors. (via Debbiedoo’s)
5. Leaf Place Cards: Save that gold spray paint for this easy DIY that turns fallen leaves into personalized place cards. You can bet that this is how we’ll be dressing up our table for our office feast next week! (Brit + Co.)
6. Painted Leaf Banner: Take the bold approach when it comes to natural leaf garland (we would!). These color block leaves look so clean and modern, they could for sure decorate your room all year long. (via Scrappy Happiness)
7. Leaf Printed Linens: We’re obsessed with this amazing way to customize your Thanksgiving table. An almost ghostly leaf pattern amps up a plain linen table cloth to epic autumn proportions. (via Funtober)
8. Stamped Metallic Leaf Plates: This might be the perfect way to deck out that set of white thrift store plates in time for Thanksgiving. Food-safe metallic paint gives a handsome shine to the stunning natural graphics. (via Wayfair)
10. Glitter Leaves Garland: Embrace the dark browns and rich golds of autumn with a glittery twist. Hang this garland anywhere in your pad that could use some extra sparkle. (via 6th Street Design School)
11. Fall Leaves Bowl: This delicate leaf bowl is quite the head turner, all thanks to an ample amount of Mod Podge and a foam ball form. If you want to use real leaves for this DIY, make sure they’re freshly fallen so that they’re flexible enough to bend without breaking. (via Shelterness)
12. Pennant Leaf Garland: We love the idea that a leaf-collecting outing with the fam can turn into a day of making together. Be sure to get the kids involved in this easy DIY, which uses dried leaves to embellish a pennant banner made from old books. (via Simple As That)
Have you used real leaves in a fall-inspired project? Tell us in the comments below!
Your relationship with your finances is one of the most important relationships you'll ever have, and you can't avoid it. That said, for many of us, the pandemic only added to our financial stress. If you find yourself feeling frazzled, just remember that financial insecurity isn't a net-worth issue — it's a mindset issue. And, we happen to have plenty of advice on how to turn your money mindset around so you can take charge of your funds once and for all.
To start, feeling secure begins with a strong foundation, and there's no better time than now to get started stacking the bricks. It's easy to get swept up in the January "new year, new me" mentality, but really? Any time is the right time to get yourself in order. You don't need to wait for a new year, a new moon, the right moment, or a sign from above. You don't even have to start on the first day of the month — you just need to start.
Introducing NerdWallet: A Safe and Reliable Money App
To help with that, we've put together a list of the just-right-for-you ways that NerdWallet can help you monitor your financial outlook. Haven't heard of them yet? NerdWallet is a personal finance company that helps consumers make smarter financial decisions. Their website and app let you compare different financial products, find articles and tools to make financial decisions with confidence, and keep tabs on your finances (hey there, credit score, I see you!) all in one place. Plus, NerdWallet has over 75,000 glowing reviews in the App Store (and a 4.8 star rating) if you want to read up on any more testimonials.
Tim Chen, NerdWallet's CEO and co-founder, started this financial journey in 2009 after his sister needed help finding a credit card. Even with an economics degree and a Wall Street background, it took awhile for Tim to find the right recommendation (so don't feel too bad when it takes you a while, too). Their mission is to bring clarity to all of life's financial decisions.
So it's safe to say that NerdWallet is a pretty good sherpa for your journey, too.
Get the most from your money
Did you know that the money you park in a savings account can lose value? Harsh, but true. If your money isn't earning interest that's on pace with inflation it will actually be worth less to you in the future. And if the bank charges fees? Forget about it. Make sure you're earning the interest you deserve and come out on top. NerdWallet has researched dozens of financial institutions to help consumers find the best options. The hard work has already been done for you, so you can just select the account that works best for you and your nest egg.
Keep an eye on everything, securely
Once everything is set up, tracking and managing your finances is what will keep the money machine running smoothly. You can create an account either through the site or the app and link your bank accounts, then keep tabs on all your finances in one place. Get a clear picture of your saving and spending, get insights into how to master your money, and even build your credit score all in one place.
Get extra credit points
Do you have the best credit card for your lifestyle? Some cards give cash back on every purchase, ones with travel perks, and ones that charge way less interest than you're paying now. NerdWallet takes the guesswork out of choosing the right credit card with simple side-by-side comparisons of different credit cards so that you feel confident choosing the right one. Whatever you want to do, NerdWallet can help you find the best credit card to get it done.
Know your options for settling down
Mortgage rates are pretty low and it looks like they're going to stay that way for awhile, so buying a home might be the move sooner than you think. But there's so much more to a mortgage than just the interest rate! To help you choose a mortgage lender, NerdWallet has in-depth reviews on multiple lenders in a mixture of categories so you get the home loan with the mortgage rate, term, and fees that's right for you.
Settle an old score
NerdWallet helps you monitor your credit score for free and helps you see how little things (like raising the limit on your credit card or paying your bills on time) can increase your score. NerdWallet partners with TransUnion® to provide your VantageScore® 3.0, based on information in your TransUnion® credit report. Your score and credit report information are updated weekly. But that's not even close to all:
- They provide you with tips from experts on how you could build or optimize your credit score
- You'll get a detailed look at your credit score and all the factors that go into it—your payment history, credit utilization, the age and type of accounts, balances, and any recent inquiries
- The credit simulator tool gives you an idea of how your credit score would change if you applied for a new credit card, closed your oldest credit card, or got a new auto loan
- You also get free, unlimited access to your credit report
When it comes to managing your money, safe and reliable is where it's at. Establishing a healthy relationship with your finances begins when you take control and practice habits that build wealth. Signing up just takes a few minutes. Set your intentions to build a solid financial foundation, it will only strengthen your relationship with your finances. And don't be afraid to get a little nerdy while you're at it.