10 Shows and Movies Worth Streaming This Weekend
Congratulations — you made it to Friday. And we all know there’s only one way to celebrate the lazy two days we get to ourselves at the end of a stressful work week: a streaming marathon. This weekend’s selections of fresh Hulu, Amazon Prime, HBO GO and Netflix gems include some documentaries, a few classics that killed in theaters and under-the-radar shows you may have missed. So kick back, make some snacks (may we suggest zucchini fries?) and click through for instant access to everything you should be watching this weekend.
1. He Named Me Malala: For those who don’t know the story of uber-inspiring Malala Yousafzai, this documentary, landing this weekend on Amazon Prime, is the perfect place to start. Yousafzai, a Pakistani girl who was targeted by the Taliban when she was just 15-years-old for fighting for women’s rights to go to school, went on to work for gender equality in education and earned a Nobel Peace Prize for her work in human rights. (Photo via Fox Searchlight)
2. Everest: Based on Beck Weathers’ famous 1996 expedition to Mount Everest and his memoir, Left for Dead: My Journey Home from Everest, this movie is not for the faint of heart. The survival story is intense and enough to make you swear off mountain climbing for good. The all-star cast includes Jake Gyllenhaal, Keira Knightley, Robin Wright and Josh Brolin. (Photo via HBO)
BOX OFFICE HITS
3. Jurassic Park: One of the most successful movie franchises of all time has finally made its way to Netflix. The series’ first three films are all ready to queue up for your weekend movie marathon. Hold onto your butts. (Photo via Universal Pictures)
4. Ocean’s Thirteen: In what other movie do you get the trifecta of handsome Hollywood star power? George Clooney, Brad Pitt and Matt Damon team up for the third installment of the Ocean’s series, and this time the heist is in the name of revenge. (Photo via HBO)
HOT SERIES THAT ARE BACK
5. Casual: One of Hulu’s first forays into original programming has been wildly successful and is definitely worth a watch. The season two premiere of Casual, a touching series about a brother and sister who move back in together, just premiered, and new episodes will be available every Tuesday. (Photo via Hulu)
6. unREAL: Lifetime’s latest hit show is a must-watch for any fans of reality TV. The scripted drama draws back the curtain on some real reality TV issues, all while providing an addictive plot line. Season two just started back up on Lifetime, so binge the first one on Hulu and prepare for a wild ride. (Photo via Lifetime)
SHOWS ABOUT HOLDING IT TOGETHER
7. Scandal: If you somehow missed the Scandal phenom, have no fear: Season five is now available on Netflix. Although it’s always a great watch, the show about a White House communications director is particularly exciting during election season. (Photo via ABC)
8. Black-ish: There’s nothing we love more than a comedy that deals with deeper issues. ABC’s Black-ish centers on a black family living in a white, upper-class neighborhood and trying to maintain their cultural identity. It’s full of funny one-liners and interesting insights into our multicultural society. (Photo via ABC)
MOVIES THAT QUESTION LOVE
9. Love & Mercy: This stellar movie about Beach Boys frontman Brian Wilson examines all sorts of different types of love. Love from friends, romantic love and the adulatory love of fans are all put under the microscope. On top of being an excellent behind-the-scenes look at how some of the most legendary music of the ’60s was created, the movie also provides an intense look at mental illness and the relationships it affects. (Photo via River Road Entertainment)
10. The Rules of Attraction: Some movies are required viewing for anyone that spent any time in the early ’00s. This is one of them. For those who haven’t seen the film about a collegiate love triangle gone awry, it’s ready to stream from Amazon Prime. If you caught it growing up, rewatch for a few faces you may recognize — yes, that is Kate Bosworth. (Photo via Kingsgate Films)
What else will you be watching this weekend? Let us know @BritandCo!
(Featured photo via Getty)
Your relationship with your finances is one of the most important relationships you'll ever have, and you can't avoid it. That said, for many of us, the pandemic only added to our financial stress. If you find yourself feeling frazzled, just remember that financial insecurity isn't a net-worth issue — it's a mindset issue. And, we happen to have plenty of advice on how to turn your money mindset around so you can take charge of your funds once and for all.
To start, feeling secure begins with a strong foundation, and there's no better time than now to get started stacking the bricks. It's easy to get swept up in the January "new year, new me" mentality, but really? Any time is the right time to get yourself in order. You don't need to wait for a new year, a new moon, the right moment, or a sign from above. You don't even have to start on the first day of the month — you just need to start.
Introducing NerdWallet: A Safe and Reliable Money App
To help with that, we've put together a list of the just-right-for-you ways that NerdWallet can help you monitor your financial outlook. Haven't heard of them yet? NerdWallet is a personal finance company that helps consumers make smarter financial decisions. Their website and app let you compare different financial products, find articles and tools to make financial decisions with confidence, and keep tabs on your finances (hey there, credit score, I see you!) all in one place. Plus, NerdWallet has over 75,000 glowing reviews in the App Store (and a 4.8 star rating) if you want to read up on any more testimonials.
Tim Chen, NerdWallet's CEO and co-founder, started this financial journey in 2009 after his sister needed help finding a credit card. Even with an economics degree and a Wall Street background, it took awhile for Tim to find the right recommendation (so don't feel too bad when it takes you a while, too). Their mission is to bring clarity to all of life's financial decisions.
So it's safe to say that NerdWallet is a pretty good sherpa for your journey, too.
Get the most from your money
Did you know that the money you park in a savings account can lose value? Harsh, but true. If your money isn't earning interest that's on pace with inflation it will actually be worth less to you in the future. And if the bank charges fees? Forget about it. Make sure you're earning the interest you deserve and come out on top. NerdWallet has researched dozens of financial institutions to help consumers find the best options. The hard work has already been done for you, so you can just select the account that works best for you and your nest egg.
Keep an eye on everything, securely
Once everything is set up, tracking and managing your finances is what will keep the money machine running smoothly. You can create an account either through the site or the app and link your bank accounts, then keep tabs on all your finances in one place. Get a clear picture of your saving and spending, get insights into how to master your money, and even build your credit score all in one place.
Get extra credit points
Do you have the best credit card for your lifestyle? Some cards give cash back on every purchase, ones with travel perks, and ones that charge way less interest than you're paying now. NerdWallet takes the guesswork out of choosing the right credit card with simple side-by-side comparisons of different credit cards so that you feel confident choosing the right one. Whatever you want to do, NerdWallet can help you find the best credit card to get it done.
Know your options for settling down
Mortgage rates are pretty low and it looks like they're going to stay that way for awhile, so buying a home might be the move sooner than you think. But there's so much more to a mortgage than just the interest rate! To help you choose a mortgage lender, NerdWallet has in-depth reviews on multiple lenders in a mixture of categories so you get the home loan with the mortgage rate, term, and fees that's right for you.
Settle an old score
NerdWallet helps you monitor your credit score for free and helps you see how little things (like raising the limit on your credit card or paying your bills on time) can increase your score. NerdWallet partners with TransUnion® to provide your VantageScore® 3.0, based on information in your TransUnion® credit report. Your score and credit report information are updated weekly. But that's not even close to all:
- They provide you with tips from experts on how you could build or optimize your credit score
- You'll get a detailed look at your credit score and all the factors that go into it—your payment history, credit utilization, the age and type of accounts, balances, and any recent inquiries
- The credit simulator tool gives you an idea of how your credit score would change if you applied for a new credit card, closed your oldest credit card, or got a new auto loan
- You also get free, unlimited access to your credit report
When it comes to managing your money, safe and reliable is where it's at. Establishing a healthy relationship with your finances begins when you take control and practice habits that build wealth. Signing up just takes a few minutes. Set your intentions to build a solid financial foundation, it will only strengthen your relationship with your finances. And don't be afraid to get a little nerdy while you're at it.