6 Skincare Products to Add to Your Spring Beauty Regimen
As spring works its way in, it’s time to tweak your beauty regimen. “It’s important to change skincare routines and treatments with the seasons because as the seasons change, so does your skin,” explains Ellen Marmur, a board-certified dermatologist in NYC. “When the humidity drops, your skin dries out; when humidity rises, your skin is better hydrated.”
When is the right time to swap winter’s rich balms and creams in favor of spring’s light and airy options? “Once you find that you no longer need a winter coat, your lips aren’t chapping nearly as easily, and your humidifier is no longer of any use, it’s likely time to start transitioning to a spring skincare routine,” explains Bradley Glodny, a dermatologist at Tribeca Park Dermatology in New York. (Photo via Luxy/ Getty)
Once the thermostat rises, be sure to give your skin time to adjust. “One mistake that people make is that they totally and completely change their routine for the new season,” says Francesca Fusco, a dermatologist at Wexler Dermatology in NYC. This can lead to an unbalanced complexion and makes it difficult to nail down which product is to blame. To steer clear of a bad skin day, swap in one product at a time over the next few weeks. Jumpstart the process with the following six expert-approved products to incorporate into your routine for a full reset. (Photo via Dan Dalton/ Getty)
1. Bliss Jelly Glow Peel Gentle Non-Abrasive Exfoliator with Fruit Enzymes ($12):Nothing says new beginnings like an exfoliator. “Skin is dull during the winter and an exfoliation routine with granular particles or at home peels will start to bring it back [to life],” says Fusco. This gentle peel is made with soft plant-based fibers that do away with dry flaky skin (no harsh scrubbing necessary).
2. Aveeno Micellar Gel Cleanser ($7): “You can switch creamy, moisturizing cleansers to a gel or foaming cleanser in the spring/summer months,” says NYC-based celebrity dermatologist Lisa Airan. “Since the warmer months are more humid, changing to a gel or foaming cleanser can more effectively [remove] oil.” Made with kiwi water and soybean extract, this Aveeno gel cleanser removes dirt and oil, leaving skin soft and squeaky clean.
3. Garnier Glow Boost Illuminating Moisturizer ($12):“Not changing your skincare regimen from winter to spring will result in over-moisturized skin that’s potentially [saddled] with clogged pores and acne,” says Glodny. “Changing to lighter-weight topicals such as creams, lotions, and serums can help with the transition.” This daily moisturizer is formulated with apricot extract and pearls for a dewy finish.
4. Marmur Metamorphosis Balance Serum ($85):“My MM Balance serum is a great transitional product,” explains Marmur. “It helps with seasonal flare-ups of acne, rosacea, redness, inflammation, and dryness you may experience when the season changes.” Formulated with vitamin B3, this serum is anti-inflammatory and packed with probiotics that protect skin even at its most vulnerable state.
5. Rodial Retinol Drops ($89): “Since the winter is generally drier, potentially irritating topicals such as vitamin C serums and retinols should be used less frequently to avoid excessive irritation,” Glodny points out. “So when the more mild weather of spring rolls around, these topical serums and vitamin A derivatives should be used more frequently to maximize their benefits.” To experience the glowing results for yourself, try retinol drops that increase cell turnover to promote a clearer, brighter, more even-looking complexion.
6. Algenist GENIUS Sleeping Collagen ($98):If you’re feeling lazy after reorganizing your skincare products, this overnight mask is the easiest way to hydrate and plump your skin with minimal effort. “The biggest mistakes people make when they transition from winter beauty into spring include not moisturizing enough in the warmer seasons,” says Marmur.
Are you ready to refresh your skincare for spring? Tell us @BritandCo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)