For many of us, 2017 was a doozy, but we here at Brit + Co are ready to hit refresh in 2018! Follow our Hit Refresh series through January for new ideas, hacks, and skills that will help you achieve (and maintain!) those New Year’s resolutions.
When a craving for fried chicken strikes, you don’t have to sacrifice healthiness or flavor with this air-fried, Paleo dinner. If you’re not an air fryer convert yet, allow us to explain. This appliance circulates hot heat around the food, giving it a crisp exterior and perfectly cooked interior without the need for oil. We know; it sounds too good to be true! This particular fried chicken recipe is as simple as it gets, though you’re free to add whatever other seasonings your heart desires, whether that’s spices, herbs, or even hot sauce. The key though is the almond meal. It replaces the breadcrumbs and flour traditionally called for with fried chicken and adds a nutty, almost cornmeal-like flavor and consistency to the chicken.
paleo, air-fried chicken tenders
Adapted from Philips Air Fryer Recipe Book
- 3/4 pound boneless, skinless chicken tenders
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more for seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, plus more for seasoning
- parsley and ketchup, for serving (optional)
- Preheat the air fryer to 330 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Lay out chicken on plate. Crack eggs into flat-bottomed bowl and whisk until frothy, seasoning with salt and pepper. Pour almond meal into flat-bottomed bowl. Set aside small bowls of salt and pepper.
- Using one hand, submerge chicken into egg. Then transfer into almond meal mixture. Coat both sides with breadcrumbs, pressing to ensure almond meal is secure. Shake off any excess prior to placing in cooking basket.
- Carefully place in basket of air fryer. Use other hand to sprinkle salt and pepper on top of chicken. Repeat process with remaining chicken tenders until basket is full, making sure there is at least 1 centimeter of space in between each chicken tender. Cook for 10 minutes at 330 degrees Fahrenheit and then for 5 minutes at 390 degrees Fahrenheit or until golden brown.
- Serve immediately with Paleo-friendly ketchup.
For more healthy recipes, check us out on Pinterest.
(Photos via Brittany Griffin / Brit + Co)