Tech of the Week: Wearable Tech Edition
Whether we’re counting down the days until our Pebbles arrive or turning our Big Jambox into a wearable boombox, we love ourselves some portable tech. And, looking at the way trends in technology are leaning, we’re not alone. Here are 20 pieces of wearable tech for you to check out.
1. Google Glasses: Naturally, we have to start with Project Glass. This pair of glasses by Google is an augmented reality display that displays all of the information currently on your smartphone in your line of sight. You control the interaction via voice.
2. USB Pyramid Cuff ($35): Juicy Couture, we didn’t know you had it in you! This cuff is stylish, totally on trend, and happens to be a USB thumb drive as well. Love it!
4. Underarmour E39: This shirt tracks biometrics signals on the wearer and transmits them to your computer or mobile device. These were tested on NFL recruits to detect anything from heart rate to analyzing an athlete’s individual body movements to make for better coaching.
5. USB Locket ($229): We’ve written about this one before, but it’s one of a few things that sparked our interest in wearable tech. The techie-ness is hidden but oh so handy.
6. Safety Pin Flash Drive (concept): Handy in more ways than one, and easy to keep track of, this safety pin flash drive is the perfect combo of the grown-up boy scout and data nerd.
9. Lumus Vision: More glasses! These see-through glasses can display the equivalent of an 87 inch screen experience in the glasses. They allow you to watch TV, read email or glance at stock tickers whenever you want. While we’re not totally convinced that these look like “natural-looking, discreet eyewear,” the technology is definitely cool.
10. USB Warming Gloves ($18): Got a long night of coding ahead of you? Keep your hands toasty with gloves that warm you using USB power.
14. LED Eyelashes (concept): Those fake lashes not quite doing it for you? Definitely more an art piece than a cosmetic wearable one, these are quite a take on making sure your eyes light up a room.
15. Fabrican: Fabric in a can, for real. Fabrican has created spray-on fabric that, once sprayed on, can be taken off and washed supposedly like a regular garment. It’s particularly cool when you think of being able to mend or change clothes with a simple spray can. This is definitely something we’d have to see to believe.
16. Scrolling LED Belt Buckle ($25): This one isn’t actually useful but it gets 100 extra points for extreme geekiness. Program up to 6 different messages, each way longer than a tweet.
17. Halo Belt (not yet available): A more useful light-up belt, this belt is geared towards bikers and runners for nighttime safety.
20. Piano Glove ($93): And finally, a piano glove. This is silly, hilarious, and would go gorgeously with a keyboard tie.
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)