Weekend Project Alert: 23 DIY Terrariums to Inspire You
Need a low-maintenance gardening project? Look no further. We’ve got simple terrariums here for every occasion. Whether you need to make a wedding centerpiece, something cute for your desk at work or an awesome DIY kit for a last-minute birthday present, this list has tons of ideas. From botanical beauties to easy-to-care-for succulents, these terrariums will have you planning your next weekend project. And for those of you with brown thumbs (we included), succulents and air plants are the minimal-maintenance way to go.
1. DIY Crystal Terrarium: Choose your favorite minerals and pair with air plants to create the most positive vibrational terrarium — ever. (via Twinspiration)
2. KimFisherDesigns Vertical Garden Planter ($253): This is the ideal answer to small space decor issues. Instead of looking for a place for your plant to live on the ground or on a surface, hang it on the wall instead!
3. DIY Shadow Box Terrarium: Recycle an old wood frame into a DIY planter with this simple — and very green — project. (via A Little Craft In Your Day)
4. DIY Sand Art Terrarium: We love this project because it takes so many great crafts and combines them into one! Sand art meets terrarium for the decor win. (via Brit + Co)
6. DIY Neon Footed Terrarium: Add some color (or A LOT) to your fave zone with some neon rocks, a little bright paint, and some cute drought resistant plants. (via A Kailo Chic Life)
7. Holiday Terrarium: This simply adorable DIY makes the perfect decor gift for all your office or school buds. (via Brit + Co)
9. SucculentPatch Glass Geometric Diamond Air Plant Terrarium ($55): Looking for a unique terrarium different from all those upcycled jar ones you’ve already DIYed? We’ve got the perfect thing for you. This on-trend, geometric-shaped terrarium is a cinch to put together. Oh, and in case you were wondering, the air plants are included.
10. World Market Wall-Mounted Live Plant Glass Terrarium ($35): Low on space? This kit comes with everything (even the plants) you need to get started and it mounts on the wall, so there’s no need to take up valuable shelving or surface space.
11. Repurposed Candy Jar: Get your hands all up in that candy jar with this cool DIY. For a sweet dresser look, add some costume jewelry or pearls. (via Brit + Co)
12. Gift It: We know our friends get really busy. So, we think that making this super simple kit with your leftover supplies would be a thoughtful gift for any occasion. (via Wit & Whistle)
13. Featherology Bulb Terrarium ($3+): With a base of bright white rocks and the fact they’re inside of a lightbulb, these will add a bit of sunshine to even your most cramped indoor space.
14. Paleontology Class: Gold dinos + terrariums? We are totally digging this DIY. For a fresh, bold effect, add colorful rocks at the base of your terrarium to really make a statement. (via Yellow Brick Home)
MORE IDEAS TO CONSIDER:
15. Soft and Lush: These gorgeous oversized flowers look like cotton candy. The setup is minimal, but you’ll definitely get maximum impact. You may just want to keep it around as a permanent installment… we would. (via Style Me Pretty)
16. Into the Wild: If there’s a woodsy + outdoorsy feature on our list, it’s this one. For this look, try lots of moss mixed in with delicate ferns and a big statement piece — think skulls, driftwood or any other epic find you come across out in the woods. (via The Telegraph)
17. Under the Sea: Having a nautical-themed party? Try these coastal succulents in clear glass, resting on beach sand. Drop in a few tiny seashells to take it to the next beachy level. (via The Independent)
18. Wit + Whimsy: Go for an extra girly look by focusing on pink and peach hues with pops of the brightest greens you can find. And how incredible is that marbled base? #Swoon (via Green Wedding Shoes)
19. Coffee Time: If it’s time to retire an old french press or tea kettle, we can do you one better than the trash can. Try putting a layer of rocks under the wire mesh in your french press to outline the design. Over the wire you can put mulch, dirt and the green things you want to display. Feel free to take off the metal frame and attached handle for a more glassy look. (via Level One Team)
20. Boho Botanicals: If an earthier, dreamier ceremony is what you’re after, try these warm-toned terrariums inside an elegant cake stand. Pair with natural details like a wooded base and gorgeous feathers for a romantic boho vibe. (via Style Me Pretty)
21. Layered Effect: We’re dreaming of black + white cakes staring at this layered succulent garden. Pick white rocks with bright plants to really make it pop, or reverse the effect with bright rocks and muted plants. We can’t wait to see what you come up with! (via Home My Design)
22. Pass the Salt: You’re going to want to use up your herbs and spices as quickly as possible to make this cute statement piece. Grab some pebbles, sand and a bit of dirt, and you’ll be finished up before lunchtime. Just don’t forget to put seasonings on your shopping list. (via A Bullseye View)
23. Less Is More: We love this monotone arrangement — only four plants and all within the same palette. All that negative space just screams possibility and would look great with some tiny gold dinos. (via Adventures in Cooking)
What’s your favorite gardening project? Have you ever DIYed your own terrarium? Show us @BritandCo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)