21 Unique Gift Ideas for People Who Are ALWAYS Cold
We all have that one friend or family member who constantly complains about being cold. Despite owning an extra-toasty cocoon coat, a blanket scarf, shearling boots, and even a hot chocolate to go, no amount of outerwear is considered too excessive. So, what could be better than gifting the Eskimo in your life something to actually combat the elements once and for all? Scroll on for 20 winter essentials that will come in handy on days when you can’t feel your toes.
1. Anthropologie Getaway Alpaca Cowl Scarf ($128): Whether frolicking in the snow, or taking a scenic stroll through the park, this knit scarf is the epitome of snow-day fun.
2. UpANotchGifts Hot Chocolate Cone Kit ($35+): Fact: There’s nothing that a cup of hot cocoa and an afternoon spent curled up on the couch can’t fix. This festive gift set will be the perfect pick-me-up when the weather outside is just too much to handle.
3. Anthropologie Pommed Berkshire Gloves ($32): These stylish gloves will make you feel like making snow angels — even in the dead of winter.
4. Anthropologie Striped Faux Fur Throw Blanket ($128): On low-key weekends, this faux fur throw blanket is the best way to relax. Not only will it spruce up your decor, but it’s practically made for chilly mornings when getting out of bed doesn’t feel like an option.
5. ModCloth Get Some Beauty Sheep Slippers ($25): Because odds are your BFF or sis would never think to buy these cutesy sheep slippers for herself. From pajama parties to lazy Sundays, these are the definition of stay-home chic.
6. Out from Under Cozy Fleece Jogger Pant ($49): These fleece sweatpants probably *should* be worn in public on those colder-than-cold days.
7. Philosophy Cinnamon Buns Shampoo, Shower Gel + Bubble Bath ($18): Treat yo’ self with this all-in-one product that doubles as a shampoo, shower gel, and bubble bath. Bonus: It’ll have you smelling like a toasty cinnamon bun too.
8. Kit and Ace Better Together Jacket ($168): For the outdoorsy person on your list, this versatile jacket won’t disappoint. It’s both thermal and lightweight for weekend hikes to yoga retreats.
9. UGG Bailey Button II Boots ($170): These water-resistant, leather boots have a cute button closure. And the shearling lining will make your feet feel like they’re getting a warm hug.
10. kate spade new york Warm Heart Thermal Mug ($18): This thermal mug says it all. The secret to staying warm during frigid commutes is to come prepared with a hot beverage of your choice (mulled cider, anyone?)
11. Urban Outfitters Devon Pointelle Knit Sweater ($64): Curl up in this comfortable knit sweater that looks like it came straight from your momma’s closet.
12. Nineteen27 S’mores Kit Original ($10+): These are indoor s’mores, people! For ooey-gooey chocolatey goodness in the safety of your own home, this is the gift set that you need RN.
13. J.Crew Ribbed Beanie With Faux Fur Pom-Pom ($40): Keep your ears and head toasty with this cozy, ribbed beanie that’s cute enough to wear indoors or for a walk outside in the snow.
14. ASOS Made in Kenya Robe Coat With Balloon Sleeves ($174): Your fashionably late bestie is going to love you. Thanks to this belted robe-turned-coat in disguise, getting dressed in the morning will be as easy as rolling out of bed and heading out the door.
15. Hopscotch Cedar and Pine Candle ($30): For the hostess with the mostest or the girl who’s all go-go-go, this pine-scented candle will bring some serious relaxation. Did we mention that it smells like a freshly cut Christmas tree too?
16. Free People Snow Day Crew Sock ($12): These socks are the cold-weather essential that your bestie won’t believe she’s been living without. Slip them on next time you stay home for a snow day.
17. Cozy Geo Print Hoodie Poncho ($64): This is infinitely chicer than any Snuggie we’ve ever seen. The oversized fit makes it an uber stylish topper on days when it’s almost too cold to function.
18. Krimson Klover Excelerator 1/4 Zip Pullover Sweater ($159): This sustainable clothing brand is dedicated to “slow fashion,” or taking the time to hand-craft environmentally-friendly pieces that will last you for years, which is ideal since you’ll never want to take off this warm merino wool sweater.
19. SMOKO Fox Pillow Warmer ($40): Pillows and blankets are a must on cold days, but this clever fox also has an internal heater for extra warmth.
20. Free People Earmuff Headphones ($28): Listening to your favorite tunes is no longer an excuse for letting your ears get cold.
21. Soup of the Day: 365 Recipes for Every Day of the Year ($21): Keep the cold at bay by making heartwarming soups to sip on all winter long.
Additional reporting by Andrea Romano.
What are your must-have cold-weather essentials? Share them with us @BritandCo.
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.
Your relationship with your finances is one of the most important relationships you'll ever have, and you can't avoid it. That said, for many of us, the pandemic only added to our financial stress. If you find yourself feeling frazzled, just remember that financial insecurity isn't a net-worth issue — it's a mindset issue. And, we happen to have plenty of advice on how to turn your money mindset around so you can take charge of your funds once and for all.
To start, feeling secure begins with a strong foundation, and there's no better time than now to get started stacking the bricks. It's easy to get swept up in the January "new year, new me" mentality, but really? Any time is the right time to get yourself in order. You don't need to wait for a new year, a new moon, the right moment, or a sign from above. You don't even have to start on the first day of the month — you just need to start.
Introducing NerdWallet: A Safe and Reliable Money App
To help with that, we've put together a list of the just-right-for-you ways that NerdWallet can help you monitor your financial outlook. Haven't heard of them yet? NerdWallet is a personal finance company that helps consumers make smarter financial decisions. Their website and app let you compare different financial products, find articles and tools to make financial decisions with confidence, and keep tabs on your finances (hey there, credit score, I see you!) all in one place. Plus, NerdWallet has over 75,000 glowing reviews in the App Store (and a 4.8 star rating) if you want to read up on any more testimonials.
Tim Chen, NerdWallet's CEO and co-founder, started this financial journey in 2009 after his sister needed help finding a credit card. Even with an economics degree and a Wall Street background, it took awhile for Tim to find the right recommendation (so don't feel too bad when it takes you a while, too). Their mission is to bring clarity to all of life's financial decisions.
So it's safe to say that NerdWallet is a pretty good sherpa for your journey, too.
Get the most from your money
Did you know that the money you park in a savings account can lose value? Harsh, but true. If your money isn't earning interest that's on pace with inflation it will actually be worth less to you in the future. And if the bank charges fees? Forget about it. Make sure you're earning the interest you deserve and come out on top. NerdWallet has researched dozens of financial institutions to help consumers find the best options. The hard work has already been done for you, so you can just select the account that works best for you and your nest egg.
Keep an eye on everything, securely
Once everything is set up, tracking and managing your finances is what will keep the money machine running smoothly. You can create an account either through the site or the app and link your bank accounts, then keep tabs on all your finances in one place. Get a clear picture of your saving and spending, get insights into how to master your money, and even build your credit score all in one place.
Get extra credit points
Do you have the best credit card for your lifestyle? Some cards give cash back on every purchase, ones with travel perks, and ones that charge way less interest than you're paying now. NerdWallet takes the guesswork out of choosing the right credit card with simple side-by-side comparisons of different credit cards so that you feel confident choosing the right one. Whatever you want to do, NerdWallet can help you find the best credit card to get it done.
Know your options for settling down
Mortgage rates are pretty low and it looks like they're going to stay that way for awhile, so buying a home might be the move sooner than you think. But there's so much more to a mortgage than just the interest rate! To help you choose a mortgage lender, NerdWallet has in-depth reviews on multiple lenders in a mixture of categories so you get the home loan with the mortgage rate, term, and fees that's right for you.
Settle an old score
NerdWallet helps you monitor your credit score for free and helps you see how little things (like raising the limit on your credit card or paying your bills on time) can increase your score. NerdWallet partners with TransUnion® to provide your VantageScore® 3.0, based on information in your TransUnion® credit report. Your score and credit report information are updated weekly. But that's not even close to all:
- They provide you with tips from experts on how you could build or optimize your credit score
- You'll get a detailed look at your credit score and all the factors that go into it—your payment history, credit utilization, the age and type of accounts, balances, and any recent inquiries
- The credit simulator tool gives you an idea of how your credit score would change if you applied for a new credit card, closed your oldest credit card, or got a new auto loan
- You also get free, unlimited access to your credit report
When it comes to managing your money, safe and reliable is where it's at. Establishing a healthy relationship with your finances begins when you take control and practice habits that build wealth. Signing up just takes a few minutes. Set your intentions to build a solid financial foundation, it will only strengthen your relationship with your finances. And don't be afraid to get a little nerdy while you're at it.