17 Surprising Things to Grill This Summer
Burgers and ribs are always solid selections to toss on the grill, but when you tire of the same old, same old, reach for these delicious surprises instead. From pizza to salad to extra sweet fruit-centered delights and more, these 17 delish eats show that meat isn’t the only thing that does well with a little barbecue action. After one bite of any of these scrumptious recipes, your love for the grill will definitely be reignited. Enjoy!
1. Grilled Watermelon and Feta Stacked Salad: These stacked watermelon salads serve up a serious dose of summertime flavor in a shockingly short amount of time; we’re talking on the table in ten minutes or less. (via Cooking for Keeps)
2. Grilled Romaine Hearts: Giving lettuce a quick blast on the grill creates an unreal salad that counters the usual notion that lettuce and heat can’t be friends. (via Dang That’s Delicious)
4. Mushroom Goat Cheese Grilled Flatbread: When it’s too hot out to even consider cranking up your oven to blistering temps, take things outside and grill up some just-as-tasty flatbreads instead. (via Life as a Strawberry)
5. Grilled Oysters With Champagne: Grilled oysters are not only delicious — especially served with a sweet-savory Champagne sauce — but far easier to open than their raw counterparts. (via Hummingbird High)
6. Peach Mascarpone Pot Pie With Ginger-Molasses Cookie Lid: A blast of heat concentrates the sweet, juicy flavor of fresh peaches used in this outstanding twist on pot pie. (via Lady and Pups)
7. Grilled Avocado With Smoked Salmon Cream: It’s hard to turn down stuffed avocados of any kind, and these smoked-salmon-filled beauties are no exception. Enjoy them with toasted bread for a fun twist on a the usual bagels and schmear. (via Sprinkle and Sprouts)
9. Tapa D’Or: Grilled bread (especially over charcoal) is worlds beyond any slice that pops out of the toaster. It’s the perfect match for a dip in a simple mix of fresh-from-the-vine tomatoes, vinegar, olive oil and flaky sea salt. (via I Will Not Eat Oysters)
12. Grilled Donut and Pear Sundae: Warming donuts on the grill is a great way to refresh day-old fried dough for these cinnamon-sugared pears, ice cream and caramel-drizzled sundaes. (via Taste and Tell)
13. Grilled Lamb Meatball Gyros With Mint Pesto: Cooking meatballs on the grill instead of in a skillet imparts them with a ton of flavor while allowing some of the fat to cook off. (via The Gourmet RD)
16. Rocoto BBQ Sweet Potato Steaks: Steaks may be a common choice for the grill, but sweet potato steaks are a total game changer. Served on a bed of flavorful bean salad and topped with BBQ sauce and a piquant salsa, they promise to be every bit as satisfying. (via The Raw + The Cooked)
17. Deconstructed Grilled Banana-Coconut Cream Pies (Vegan): Soft, boozy bananas topped with crumbled oatmeal cookies, hot mocha sauce and coconut cream sound so heavenly. And the fact that this dessert is totally vegan-friendly is just an added bonus. (via Half Baked Harvest)
Share your favorite surprising selections to toss on the grill with us below!