This Brilliant Vegan Pasta Swaps Avocado for Eggs!
Avocados are not only an excellent source of heart-healthy mono-unsaturated fats (the good kind of fats), but they’re also a super versatile ingredient that makes for a good substitution to butter, oil, and eggs when it comes to baking. So I thought, why not try making a vegan pasta dough using avocado to replace the egg? Sure, you may have seen some pretty great avocado pestos or avocado pasta sauce recipes, but this pasta dough will take each and every one of your dishes to a whole new avocado-loving level with this easy swap!
vegan avocado pasta dough
Recipe from Nicole Iizuka, Brit + Co
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 Tablespoons water
- 2 Tablespoons mashed avocado
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 small avocado, diced
- Place flour in the middle of a dry surface and use a spoon to make a well in the center. Add water, mashed avocado, and salt into the center and use a fork to begin to incorporate the flour a little at a time.
- Once a ball has formed, use your hands to work in the flour until the dough is no longer sticky. Keep kneading the dough until it’s smooth and pliable. Let the dough rest on a floured surface for 20 minutes.
- Lightly flour your hands and then pinch off a pea-sized ball of dough. Roll it into a ball and then use your thumb to make a dent in the middle. Keep going until you’ve worked through all of the dough.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and salt heavily (1 tablespoon per 4 cups of water). Add pasta and cook for 4 to 5 minutes. Strain under cold water and then toss into a pan over medium heat with olive oil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Remove from the heat and add diced avocado. Serve immediately.
When you fall in love with this pasta dough, be sure to take a photo and share it with us on Instagram!
(Photos via Nicole Iizuka / Brit + Co)
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)