It’s hard to work up the motivation to cook on busy weeknights, but you’ll actually find yourself getting excited for dinner when you’re making a flavor-packed veggie sheet pan meal. Instead of dirtying every dish in the house, this simple recipe cooks everything together on one pan in the oven. Just chop your veggies, add vegan sausage, and roast.
This dish takes its inspiration from Germany, with cabbage, potatoes, Brussels sprouts, and meatless sausages, and gets an extra flavor boost from smoked paprika, caraway seeds, and cider vinegar, with mustard and sauerkraut served on the side.
Vegan Sheet Pan German Sausage and Veggies
- 2 Tablespoons canola oil
- 1 pound red-skinned potatoes, cut into cubes
- 1/2 pound Brussels sprouts, trimmed and cut in half
- 1/2 head purple cabbage, cut into large chunks
- 1 onion, cubed
- 4 vegan kielbasa-style sausages or Beyond Sausage (if you can find it!)
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- pinch of caraway seeds (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Add canola oil to a half-sheet pan and place the pan in the oven to preheat while chopping the veggies.
- Once veggies are chopped, take your pan out of the oven. Add the potatoes to the left half of the pan, sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste, and let cook for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, add the Brussels sprouts, cabbage, and onions to the right half of the pan. Sprinkle everything on the pan with salt, smoked paprika, and caraway seeds (if using). Place the pan back in the oven and cook for 20 more minutes.
- Take the pan out of the oven and stir the cabbage, sprouts, and onions. Use a spatula to carefully flip the potatoes, trying not to lose the crispy brown bits on the bottom.
- Set the sausages on top of the cabbage, and place everything back in the oven for 10 more minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven and sprinkle everything with the apple cider vinegar and any additional salt and pepper to taste.
Serving suggestions: Serve sausages in a bowl with the potatoes and veggies along with some strong mustard, sauerkraut, and pickles. Or, add the sausage to a toasted pretzel bun along with vegan cheese, sauerkraut, mustard, relish, and a sprinkle of celery salt, with potatoes and veggies on the side.
Get more weeknight meal inspiration on our Pinterest page.
(Recipe and photos via Justina Huddleston / Brit + Co)