These 16 Meaty Classics Just Got a Vegetarian Makeover for Meatless Monday
Thanks to Pinterest and all of those other platforms that attract foodies, we suffer no shortage of tasty veg recipes circulating the Internet. From meatless pizzas to vegetarian casseroles, even the most carnivorous folks can be enticed to put meat aside once in a while. But let’s be real: Despite all of those tasty veggie hacks and amazing chickpea recipes that go way beyond hummus, sometimes a plant-eater gets a hankering for a meat-centric classic. Maybe it’s your ma’s meatballs or your dad’s chunky stew — but it happens. And to those hankerings, we say, “Bring it on!” — because we’ve got 16 meatless makeovers that will give the classics some serious competition.
1. Cauliflower Piccata: Golden fried cauliflower “steaks” replace the chicken in this bright and briny Italian classic. Much like the original dish, it’s served in a tangy piccata sauce that offers a smooth and buttery finish. (via Natural Comfort Kitchen)
2. BBQ Jackfruit Sandwiches With Avocado Slaw: Jackfruit — ever heard of it? It can best be described as a vegetarian’s ticket to reclaiming the essence of Southern BBQ — and by the looks of these sandwiches, that’s not hard to believe. (via Minimalist Baker)
3. Cannellini Bean Vegetarian “Meatballs”: These cheatballs are substantial, hearty and as healthy as they are tasty. They’re the perfect way to satisfy vegetarians and meat-eaters alike, so Sunday dinner can be enjoyed by all. (via Cookin’ Canuck)
4. Buffalo-Blue Curly Cheese Fry and Crispy Black Bean Burgers: When we think of the “all-American burger,” we think of condiments oozing out from the sides. This burger is a wonderful guilty pleasure that vegetarians can sink their teeth into with no hesitation. (via Half Baked Harvest)
5. (Almost) Classic Chickpea Vegan Meatloaf: Whether you love it or hate it, there aren’t many dishes out there that scream nostalgia quite like meatloaf does. Seasoned chickpeas create the base of this “meatloaf,” which is slathered with a finger-lickin’ tomato maple glaze. (via Connoisseurus Veg)
6. Slow Cooker Butter Chickpeas: This gorgeous spin on an Indian fave is packed with protein. Satisfying vegetarians and vegans alike, it’s also safe for those who eat gluten-free. So really — chicken? We’re having naan of it. (via Delish Knowledge)
7. Crispy Sweet and Sour Tofu: If you’re in the mood to curl up with a warm bowl of sweet and tangy flavors, this lightly crisped tofu tossed in sweet and sour sauce is perfection. You can serve it over rice or with vegetables. (via Hot for Food Blog)
8. Vegetarian Shepherd’s Pie With Lentils: Offering the same heartiness as its beefy counterpart, this creation is the ultimate veggie comfort food. A mixture of lentils, celery, carrots and onions is topped with creamy mash and then baked to golden perfection. (via Foodess)
9. Vegetarian French Onion Soup: When you imagine a rich and flavorful broth chock full of onions and topped with bubbling cheese and crunchy toast, it seems a little unfair that only meat eaters could dig in. But if you substitute the beef stock for vegetable stock in French Onion Soup, all is right in the world again. (via Lauren Caris Cooks)
10. Individual Vegetarian Pot Pies: What’s better than breaking puff pastry with a spoon, digging in and pulling out a mound of creamy and hearty vegetables? Not much, friends. These little pot pies are the perfect way to indulge. (via Fork in the Kitchen)
11. Stacked Eggplant Parmesan: Even if you’re not a fan of eggplant, this dish is easy to love in all of its saucy and cheesy goodness. You’re still technically eating your vegetables too, so there’s that. (via What’s Gaby Cooking?)
12. Green Curry Veggie Kabobs: One of the best things about veggie kabobs is that the marinade isn’t contaminated like when marinating raw meat. These veggies are soaked in coconut milk mixed with Thai curry paste and, once the marinating process is done, you can make a sauce out of the leftover juice. (via Oh My Veggies)
13. Roasted Chickpea and Sweet Potato Tacos: Who says tacos are just for Tuesdays? These veggie tacos are perfect for a Meatless Monday. They’re full of hearty veggies and drizzled with cashew sauce, so they’re super filling. Tacos two nights in a row? Don’t mind if we do! (via Wife Mama Foodie)
14. Lentil and Butternut Squash Chili: Nothing warms the belly quite like a heaping bowl of chili — meat-free recipes included. Anyone who claims different has never had the rewarding experience of dunking their spoon into a bowl of this goodness. (via Little Broken)
15. Cabbage Rolls With Wild Rice and Mushroom Stuffing: Smothered in a flavorful tomato sauce, these savory cabbage rolls are stuffed with an aromatic blend of wild rice and hearty mushrooms. If you want to treat yourself with the full experience, drop a dollop of sour cream on these bad boys. (via Catching Seeds)
16. Light Mushroom Stroganoff: It’s quite possible that you’ll never want to add beef to your stroganoff again. This lighter take on the classic is jam-packed with flavor and is ready in less than 30 minutes, making it perfect for those nights you want something quick but healthy. (via Caravan of Style)
Looking for easy + delicious Meatless Monday ideas? Follow us on Pinterest for more.
Still haven't taken up that new creative skills you swore you'd learn this year? Or ready to take your design skills to the next level? Let's say so long to the weirdest year ever by checking those big learn-something-new goals off our perpetual to-do lists.
We've teamed up with Clorox to give you the gift of unlimited creativity now through the end of the year. Once you sign up, you can take as many of our 120+ classes as you want for FREE for one whole month!
Here's how it works:
- Head to brit.co/learn and sign up for the "All Access Pass."
- Use the code "CLOROXCARES" at checkout to redeem your free month of classes.
- You will be automagically signed up for Clorox's email list once you redeem your free all access pass. (It's the #1 Choice for Disinfection!)
- Your pass lasts one month from when you checkout. This means you have unlimited access to all the classes during that month.
This offer is valid now through December 27, 2020.
Browse our catalog to find the right class for you, tell a friend and take the class together over Zoom, or organize a 'cocktails + crafts' night with a friend in your bubble so you can learn something new together.
What are you waiting for? Time to start learning all the things!
Thanks to Clorox for making this happen! When it counts, trust Clorox.