15 Vegetarian Taco Recipes Perfect for Meatless Monday
We are so down with Meatless Mondays! Starting fresh on Monday sets the pace for healthy eating all week, and you don’t have to subsist on juice recipes or Jennifer Aniston’s diet to do it. Tacos — everyone’s fave fiesta food — can actually help ease the transition to more veggie-centric eating. Fried avocado, coconut-lime cauliflower or spicy plantain, anyone? There’s sure to be a delicious combo that will make you look forward to Monday all week. Whether you’re shooting for full-time vegetarian eating or just looking to cut back on meat, here are 15 meatless tacos that are sure to become go-tos in your meat-free cooking repertoire.
1. Crispy Cauliflower Tacos With Mango Salsa: Crispy cauliflower is a credible replacement for fish and can totally handle all the primo toppings — namely, bright and tangy mango salsa, freshly shredded red cabbage, creamy avocado and a drizzle of Mexican crema. Pro tip: If you can’t find crema, whisk a few spoonfuls of milk into regular sour cream to get that drizzle. (via Love and Olive Oil)
2. BBQ Cauliflower & Chickpea Tacos With a Creamy Lime Slaw: The BBQ rub on this cauliflower will make you forget meat even exists, and the tangy lime slaw is to die for. The vegans in the house will be doing their happy dance. (via Oh My Veggies)
3. Fried Avocado Tacos: If there’s anything more delectable than a fried slice of avocado, we haven’t tasted it yet. When you’re chowing down on this baby, you will not be missing meat. (via Big Red Clifford)
4. Crispy Coconut-Lime Baked Cauliflower Tacos: This crispy cauliflower is baked, not fried, so throw an extra tortilla on the grill. These taste just like your favorite crispy fish tacos, but are so much lighter. (via Veggie Inspired)
5. Indian Tacos: The creamy coconut and chickpea curry in these tacos is reminiscent of your favorite spicy chana masala. Scratch-made mango chutney and vegan raita sweeten it up and cool it down. (via Vegan Gretchen)
6. Loaded Crispy Tofu Tacos: If you needed another reason to try tofu, here it is. Smothered in a mixture of honey and Sriracha, rolled in a crispy coating and pan-fried, it’s then served up on tortillas with a truly kick-ass green onion cilantro sauce. (via The Woks of Life)
7. Spicy Plantain Black Bean Tacos: Just in time for summer, this recipe is quick and won’t heat up your kitchen. Sweet plantains are coated in spices, then sautéed to caramelized perfection. Jalapeño, onion and cilantro toppings provide just the right heat for this spicy-sweet combo. (via Minimalist Baker)
9. Quinoa Taco Meat: This make-ahead crumbly quinoa has the exact texture of ground beef filling. It keeps well in the fridge, so you can always have some on hand to fill tacos, burritos and wraps. (via Minimalist Baker)
10. Vegan Masala Cauliflower and Broccoli Tacos With Avocado Sauce: Bite-size veggies are coated and fried until golden and crispy in this Indian-spiced taco. The batter is puffy and light, with a flavor reminiscent of bhajia. (via Korasoi)
11. Crispy Zucchini Tacos With Cherry Pepper Crema: This recipe is just what you need this summer, with an avalanche of zucchini and tomatoes heading your way. Fresh, crumbly cheese and cherry pepper crema are the perfect toppings. (via How Sweet It Is)
12. Vegan Lentil Tacos: Ready to win over the die-hard omnivores at the table? These spicy lentils are the perfect sub for ground beef, and have almost as much protein. Serve up on corn tacos for a GF variation. (via Delicious Knowledge)
13. Quinoa Black Bean Tacos: These tacos are loaded with spicy goodness and an abundance of beans and sweet corn. Sour cream and avocado are just the right toppings to bring down the heat. (via Damn Delicious)
14. Summer Breakfast Tacos: When you’ve got all the makings for tacos except the meat, just scramble up some huevos and you’re in. These tacos taste delicious topped simply with avocado and tomatoes. Bonus: They take 15 minutes max to cook. (via How Sweet It Is)
15. Crispy Avocado Tacos With Roasted Red Pepper Crema: You can’t go wrong with fried avocado, but the roasted red pepper crema makes this taco something extra special. The crispy avocado is so creamy and delicious, shredded iceberg lettuce and pico de gallo are all the toppings you’ll need. (via Beard + Bonnet)
Are you loving these meat-free tacos? There are more meat-free recipes where that came from. Follow us on Pinterest.
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)