Snacks of the Future: 10 Foods You Can 3D Print
It’s no secret that we’re big fans of 3D printing here at Brit HQ. We’ve explored printing iPhone cases, clothing, photos from a photo booth, and even a mini figurine of you. But our stomachs have gotten the better of us. Thankfully, science is keeping up. Check out these 10 3D printed food projects—some of which you can actually get your hands on now. Is your mouth watering yet?
3. Gummy People: Move over bears, worms, and fruit shapes, the new way to get your gummy-candy fix is by printing a 3D version of your own body. We’re thinking these would make great birthday party or wedding favors in the shapes of the guests of honor. Fingers crossed they’re as tasty as Haribo. (via dvice)
4. Bacon Möbius Strip: We can’t decide if this piece of bacon printed in a möbius strip is genius or a sign that someone has too much time on their hands. Be forewarned bacon-fanatics, it isn’t actually pork. It’s made from plant-based ingredients and is vegan and Kosher friendly. (via Shapeways)
5. Christmas Cookies: Feed us cookies, and we’ll give you our love. Feed us specially designed, 3D-printed cookies, and we’ll love you forever. We’re telling you now so you have plenty of time to get your hands on a 3D printer and a good recipe. (via Raf Holleis)
6. Pizza: Astronaut ice cream is soon to be the second-best item on the menu on the space station. NASA just put $125 million toward developing a 3D printer that “prints” pizza. As if we need another reason to dream of going to space. (via Fast Company; photo via diekatrin on Flickr)
7. Chocolate Printer: The only item on this list you can actually buy, the Choc Creator V1 can be yours for just over $4,400. You’ll be able to make chocolate treats in absolutely any shape you can conjure up. We need one of these at Brit HQ, don’t you think? (via Choc Edge)
8. Corn Chips: While this might look suspiciously like fancy ramen noodles, this swirly flower is actually a corn chip. When testing out shapes researchers discovered that they needed to make the flower shape porous instead of solid to prevent the outside from burning before the inside was fried. (via FastCompany)
10. Sugar Sculptures: While you probably don’t want to eat one of these whole (unless you have a serious sweet tooth), these sugar sculptures are insanely impressive. Don’t they remind you of snowflakes? (via SugarLab)
Are you skeptical or sold on 3D printed food? What would be the first thing you’d print if you had a 3D printer in your kitchen?
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)