5 Epic Wines Under $30 to Uncork for Your Olympics Party
While the Olympics is nearly over, there’s still time to indulge your obsession. Whether you’re looking to throw a viewing party with your Olympics-obsessed squad or need just another excuse to drink good summer wine and watch TV, we’ve got the vino for you. So sit back, queue up your favorite event and uncork one of these gold medal picks.
1. Mark West Pinot Noir ($16): With a long heritage devoted to the fine pursuit of making the perfect pinot noir, Mark West is the brand you can trust for all your PN-sipping needs. Our fave thing about this wine is how smooth it is — a fruity red with hints of spice, it’s practically begging for that steak or tofu wrap to jump off the grill and into your belly. And for all those naysayers to “red in the summer?!” tell them to have one sip and that’ll be all it takes for them to realize how oh-so-very-mistaken they were.
2. 2015 Summer Water Rosé by Winc ($13): Hailing from sunny Santa Barbara, this blend of Grenache and Syrah is as refreshing as it is #yeswayrose crisp. A collaboration between Yes Way Rosé (founded by two high-school BFFs) and Winc, you’ll love this dry wine to wash down a swimming or gymnastics viewing session from your couch. All you need to guarantee a good time is ice (lots of ice) and allllll the rosé chocolate.
3. Kim Crawford Sauvignon Blanc ($13): There’s something really special about indulging in a glass of Sauv Blanc in the summer. Juicy and fruity, the freshness works well in a cocktail (lemon, splash of seltzer, cute straw, done) or even a wine slushie. No corkscrew? No problem. The bottle has a handy twist-off cap, which also helps keep oxygen from entering the bottle to keep your wine nice and crisp for all of the amazing women you’ll be watching rep the US on the soccer field and track and field rings.
4. Ruffino Sparkling Rosé ($13): The only thing better than rosé is, well, more of the stuff. When you feel like alternating your refreshing swigs with a bit of bubbly, this sparkling rosé proves as drinkable as it is tasty. With a nice acidity, you’ll also get notes of red berries amidst all the bubbly goodness. But it’s not all sweetness here, also expect refreshing and unique hints of rose petals that linger for a nice finish on this lovely extra-dry bottle.
5. Black Box Wines Chardonnay ($20 for a three-liter box; $6–$7 for the 500mL box): Boxed wine? Don’t mind if we do. Nothing spells party like a festive three-liter BOX (yes, you read that right) of wine for your Olympics soirée. Sure, you’ll detect notes of green grapes and even tropical mango and even pineapple, but the real standout feature of this invigorating sipper is the bright citrus aromas you’ll get. So go ahead, we dare you not to toss a slice of lemon or lime in and pour more. Cheers!
(Photos via Andrew Toth/Getty for Mark West Wines, Winc, Kim Crawford, Ruffino, Emily Henderson / Black Box Wines)