9 Apps to Kickstart Your Mental Health Resolutions
While it’s always a good idea to make it a resolution to get fit and eat healthy in the New Year, we’re also making it a priority to get our brains in shape by trying to live more mindfully in 2017. That’s why we decided to set ourselves up for success (because let’s be honest — sticking to a New Year’s resolution is TOUGH) by added these nine mental health apps to our smartphone.
1. Simple Habit: If you’ve never meditated before but want to start, we suggest downloading this app pronto. Since their sessions are just five minutes per day (for both specific symptoms and specific careers), it’s the perfect activity for busy gals to do in the morning for all-day relaxation.
2. Calm: We know it’s pretty cliché to say that an app has it all, but this app literally does. From guided meditation sessions to sleeping guides to super handy breaking exercises, it’s great for girlbosses who only want one mental health app on their smartphone.
3. Worry Watch: If you’re the type of person who over-worries about EVERYTHING, this is a great tool to have on your device. Simply log what’s bothering you in the app, track how it turned out, analyze your worrying trends and reflect for next time. You’ll be surprised at how helpful it is.
DL It: $1.99 on iOS
4. Pacifica: Based on Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, this zen app is packed with features: a daily mood tracker, mindfulness audio tools, thought analysis, daily challenges, daily health tracker, private groups, public communities… and more!
5. Headspace: “It’s kind of genius,” says Emma Watson, and we can definitely see why. Whether you’re a meditation newbie or a practiced expert, Headspace is a meditation app for all types of mindful peeps. Along with sweet meditations, you can also use their buddy system to motivate your friends and download sessions offline for when you’d like to meditate on-the-go.
6. Koko: Because Facebook isn’t really the space to air your dirty laundry (hint hint, rando high school friends!), researchers at MIT developed this amazing social network where users can post their stress anonymously and get help from real people.
DL It: Free on iOS
7. Happify: Everyone wants to feel happier, but sometimes getting past our daily stresses and anxieties can seem impossible without a little help. Meet Happify, the daily dose of mindfulness that’s actually kind of fun. Go ahead, start 2017 off on a positive note.
8. Personal Zen: You wouldn’t think that playing a game would reduce your stress levels, but it totally can! Personal Zen is clinically proven to reduce stress in just five minutes a day. Just trace the path of the happy sprite with your finger and work your way to a de-stressed life. It’s that simple.
DL It: Free on iOS
9. What’s Up: Utilizing the best of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and Acceptance Commitment Therapy, this cool app is perfect for the gal who doesn’t want a million apps on her phone. From breathing techniques to metaphors to help you cope with negative thoughts to a comprehensive diary, it has it all… and it’s free too.
Do you use apps to help manage your mental health? Tweet us by mentioning @BritandCo.