Sure, we’ve streamlined many things in our life (see: “there’s an app for that”). But all too often, we’re slowed down by clutter in our own home. How many mornings have you left the house already stressed by messiness? That’s life, and it will happen. But with smart and simple organizing in a few key places, you can save that mental energy for things that matter — like killing it at work and pursuing creative endeavors.
We’re partnering with IKEA to teach you tricks for the rooms you start and end your day in: the bathroom and the bedroom. First up: a bathroom that still houses *all* your products — no matter how small the space — without the clutter or headache. These simple tips will go a long way toward your peace of mind, and you’ll be skating through your daily routines in no time.
What to do with all that newfound free time? Take our Daily Creativity Challenge!
Here’s how it works: We challenge you to spend 20 minutes every day for a week (or a month!) doing something creative that is out of your ordinary routine. Ideally, we’d like you to do this in the morning or evening, so you can see how a quick creative exercise affects the start or end of your day, especially if you’ve used IKEA products to organize yourself. Record your practice in some way (snap a photo!) and share it with us on Instagram using #iamcreative. We’ll share our favorites right here on brit.co.
1. Start with a clean slate: When organizing your bathroom (especially if it’s on the smaller side), opt for light, bright and sleek furniture. Our eyes get overwhelmed if there are too many dark colors and textures, so small spaces can feel claustrophobic if you’re not careful. Instead, bring in your personality through colorful textiles like a shower curtain, wall art and accents.
2. Be smart about vertical space:A tall cabinet with opaque doors will do wonders — not only does it masterfully hide your necessities, but it also takes advantage of vertical space.
3. Prioritize your most-used products: Use drawer inserts to further organize your toiletries by type and how often you use them. Place the most-used products in the front for easy daily access without the digging. IKEA has *tons* of organizational devices, so it’s easy to find the one that’s just right for your space.
4. Toss the packaging and go uniform: Clear, square sets of boxes are optimal for storing bulk essentials because you’ll always know where they are without them getting in the way. Face it, you *really* don’t need a full bag of cotton balls overwhelming a space and blocking other products from view. Designate a box or shelf elsewhere for bulk products and thank us later :)
5. Compartmentalize!: In our opinion, there’s no such thing as too many compartments. Have a drawer designated for hair and makeup? Further organize it with inserts to make it a dig-free zone. A bit of smart compartmentalization goes a long, long way for peace of mind.
6. Use hooks instead of towel racks: In tiny bathrooms, long towel bars are a major clutter factor. Switch to single hooks to further take advantage of vertical space that would otherwise be wasted — like the side of a cabinet. This vertical cabinet actually comes with towel hook add-ons. How smart is that?
7. Give your countertop products a home: If keeping products on your bathroom counter is inevitable, look to small containers to make the surface feel clean. Stackable boxes and baskets with lids will make the space feel both practical *and* presentable.
Trust us, these seven tips will go a long way towards making your bathroom feel clean and organized *all* the time. Keep an eye out for more simple decluttering tricks for the home, comin’ soon!
Tweet us your organizational woes @BritandCo!
This post is a collaboration with IKEA.
Authored by: Maddie Bachelder
Photo Styling: Maddie Bachelder + Anita Yung
Photography: Chris Andre