5 Destinations for a Memorable End-of-Summer Vacation
It may feel like vacation season has already come and gone, but the transition from summer to fall is actually a great time to travel. Not only is it still warm out, but you may also be able to find better deals because the midsummer high season has passed. So if you haven’t gotten your summer vacay in yet, don’t fret: Here are five of the best places to check out during this transitional phase.
1. West Coast Party Scene — Hermosa Beach, CA: Hermosa Beach is a great destination for anyone who’s hoping to get a little end-of-summer partying in. More affordable (and a little less refined) than Manhattan Beach, Hermosa is one of LA’s best-known destinations. It’s got a laid-back vibe that makes it popular with college students, surfers, and beach bunnies. With its chill charm, it’s a great place to wind down at the end of summertime.
2. Mountain Views — Lake Tahoe, CA: Lake Tahoe is a gorgeous spot in the Sierra Nevadas that offers pristine air, lake sports, and sweeping mountain views. By late August and into September, it begins to cool down a bit, so it’s a great time to get some good deals and enjoy the beginning of fall.
3. Late-Summer Sun — Croatia: Croatia, located across the Adriatic Sea from Italy, attracts a huge crowd during the summer, thanks to its seaside beaches and warm, sunny weather. While the weather is still pleasant in September, tourism in the area experiences a gradual decline as Europeans begin returning to work. This means fewer crowds and better deals! Head to Croatia in early fall to enjoy its historic cities and gorgeous natural surroundings — and maybe even sneak in some last-minute sunbathing on the beach.
4. City Escape — Prague, Czech Republic: Lovers of history and architecture will absolutely want to take advantage of the changing seasons by heading to Prague. It’s not a place to go if sunbathing is your number one priority, but if wandering medieval city streets in balmy September temperatures sounds like your cup of tea, now’s the time to do it.
5. Wildcard — Hawaii: Thanks to its equatorial location, the truth is there’s no bad season to visit Hawaii. That makes September as good a time as any to visit the islands, home to Waikiki Beach, numerous great surfing spots, and tons of natural beauty. The Aloha Festivals also take place every year through the month of September. These nods to Hawaiian culture are a must-see if you’re going to be visiting the islands in the fall: So far this year, events are scheduled for September 22 and 29, with more to come.
Tweet us to share your favorite late summer and early fall destinations @BritandCo.
(Photos via Getty)