15 Pretty Ways to Rock Boxer Braids
Though these badass braids have been around for eons (best known for their functionality, not to mention style, when it comes to maintaining healthy textured hair), there’s no denying that in 2016 these boxer braids are definitely having their moment — and its got nothin’ to do with boxing. Let’s just say they’ve not so subtly been piquing our interest as images of the tightly braided ‘do have been flooding Instagram (thanks in part to the always on-trend Kardashian/Jenner clan). While the idea of sporting braided pigtails can seem a bit juvenile, when they’re mixed with more modern braiding techniques, it’s pretty clear that these aren’t your mom’s old pigtails. Whether you’re looking to style natural curls or to polish that second (or third) day hair, boxer braids are a must for almost any occasion.
1. Unicorn Dreams: We love fun colored hair, but it looks even more enchanting when it’s intertwined in braids. You’ll be able to show off your fashion tones in a super creative way all while keeping your hair controlled. Hello, festival season!
2. Add In Florals: For a more romantic and bohemian vibe, adding in some beautiful flowers to your boxer braids will do the trick. Smaller blooms like baby’s breath work best to keep this look simple and charming instead of over the top.
3. Metallic Accents: Make simple boxer braids more exciting and unique by incorporating gold or silver accents into your strands. To DIY this look on a budget, head to your local jewelry store and grab trendy ear cuffs. They’ll fit perfectly secure on your locks and instantly upgrade your look.
4. Funky Boxer Buns: We adore a gal who isn’t afraid to rock a unique look, and this twisted, braided bun ‘do surely will make your hair a topic of conversation. By knotting up your locks, boxer-braiding the sides, and adding traditional braids in randomly, you’ll create a hairstyle that’s basically a work of art.
5. Glitter Roots: Whether you’re heading to a music festival or a fun summer barbecue, adding some glitter onto your roots will totally make a statement. Just know that this look will obviously take much more effort to wash out at the end of the day (ahem, glitter).