Pass on the Pizza and Use These 15 Calzone Recipes Instead
When you’ve had your fill of pizza and pizza-inspired goods, it may be time to switch things up and start looking into filled breads instead. We’re talking about calzones, and these 15 creative recipes are bound to add a bit of variety to your dinner table. Keep things classic with a meat, cheese and sauce combo, or treat your tastebuds to a little California vacation with a tasty avocado, chicken and bacon bread. But those two examples barely scratch the surface — keep scrolling to see all of the creative ways there are to fold up some dinnertime fun.
2. Cheesy Calzone With Kale and Spinach: This is a great way to sneak some greens into your diet. Surrounded by dough and cheese, they practically go unnoticed — well, that is besides all the pretty color they provide. (via She Knows)
4. Muffuletta Calzone: What’s not to love about this Italian twist on the classic New Orleans sandwich which features all of the meats? OK, maybe just salami and ham, but feel free to play around — plus cheese and veggies? (via Kitchen Daily)
7. Peanut Butter and Double Chocolate Calzone: With this tasty calzone packed full of peanut butter cup flavor, you can easily make a two-course meal out of tasty filled breads. (via It’s a Lovely Life)
8. Calzone: Tuck into this calzone filled with ricotta, mozzarella, roasted butternut squash, broccoli rabe and mushrooms — it’s pizza, reimagined! Talk about a perfect recipe to make for fall. (via A Cozy Kitchen)
9. Three Cheese Caprese Calzone: Fresh tomatoes and basil are stuffed inside these tasty breads along with ricotta, parmesan and mozzarella. Served with a homemade tomato sauce for dipping, they have a fantastic balance of flavors working in their favor. (via Food Network)
10. Sweet Corn Calzones: Enjoy these Indian-influenced calzones filled with potatoes, corn, spinach, onions and spicy peppers. The crust is especially unique — a fusion of pie and pizza doughs. (via Lite Bite)
13. Veggie Calzone With Roasted Garlic: Heads up, garlic lovers, this recipe’s for you. Between a roasted garlic cream, tomato sauce and a sprinkle of minced garlic on the crust before baking, two whole bulbs of the stuff are put to use. (via Leafy Greens and Me)
14. Goat Cheese, Basil and Italian Sausage Calzones: Mozzarella and goat cheese make an excellent cheesy duo in these calzones. The former lends moisture and a ton of melty goodness, while a few dabs of the latter impart a bit of tang to keep things interesting. (via Life as a Strawberry)
15. Breakfast Calzones: Enjoy waking up to these egg and cheese stuffed calzones. Have fun playing around with different fillings — crispy bacon, breakfast sausage, veggies — and maybe even biscuit or crescent roll dough in lieu of pizza crust. (via Pillsbury)
Which of these Italian-style hand pies are you looking forward to trying most? Let us know below!
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)