Pop Tarts and other sweet treats may be the first things that come to mind when you hear the phrase hand pie, but it doesn’t have to be that way. Here we’ve gathered up 13 personal-size that shake things up and skew toward the savory end of the spectrum. Because of their portability, each is ideal for your next picnic, but they’re certainly just as enjoyable eaten indoors!
1. Artichoke, Jalapeño and Bacon Hand Pies: Throw on the game, crack open a cold one and grab one of these hearty hand pies — football season just got way more enjoyable. (via 10th Kitchen)
2. Fried Ham and Ricotta Calzones: Transform calzones into handheld snacks by tossing them (okay, lowering them gently) into hot oil. (via Saveur)
3. Butternut Squash and Goat Cheese Hand Pies: These precious pies are a terrific idea for Thanksgiving — serve them up as a starter or side. We bet they would also use up any leftover squash or even sweet potatoes from your feast quite nicely. (via Style Sweet CA)
4. Beef Empanadas: Consider yourself warned, overindulging in these Spanish empanadas has been known to cause a sudden need for a siesta. Saveur)
5. Italian Sausage and Feta Star Pies: We love how shaping hand pies like stars totally allows the filling to shine! (via A Beautiful Day)
6. Curry Puffs: Fans of samosas will really enjoy these savory puffs. Make your life easier by stocking your freezer with a big batch, and simply cook them up as the mood strikes. (via Seasaltwithfood)
7. Traditional Cornish Pasties: Attention Potterheads, pair these pasties with a goblet of butterbeer or pumpkin juice for the ultimate in movie marathon snacking. (via Kelly Neil)
8. Spinach-Artichoke Hand Pies: Tired of serving the same old spinach and artichoke dip? Mix things up by stuffing the good stuff between layers of pastry. (via Bakeaholic Mama)
9. Eggplant Turnovers: The herb-studded, whole wheat-boosted pastry is so spectacular it may outshine the cheesy eggplant filling within. (via Technicolor Kitchen)
10. Pastels: Scotch bonnet peppers and herbs add a wonderful amount of spice to these fried fish pies popular in Senegal. (via Saveur)
11. Hand-Held Pot Pies: Now you can retire those TV dinner pot pies stuffed in the back of your freezer. These are are totally tailored to your individual tastes, and just as easy to enjoy while watching your favorite shows. (via Krista and Michele)
12. Jamaican Veggie Patties: Typically made with beef, spicy Jamaican patties get a vegan makeover with this recipe. What a great way to get your veggies! (via 101 Cookbooks)
13. Kale and Sausage Hand Pies: No doubt, kale and sausage are a perfect match. A handful of chopped apples and raisins mixed in with the duo keeps things interesting, definitely an important part of any relationship. (via Martha Stewart)
If you had to choose, would you pick a sweet or savory pie to nibble on? Let us know your thoughts below!