The 20 Best Basil Recipes Out There
Whether you find it in your herb garden or in the grocery store, basil packs a huge flavor punch in a tiny, leafy package. Commonly found in pesto, this magical plant reigns supreme in the herb world. It is as beautiful on the plate as it is hearty in the garden, and it brings serious flavor and flair to any dish. These recipes range from sweet desserts to savory main dishes and they all highlight the incredible flavor of this fresh herb.
1. Plum Caprese: Everyone's had some delectable variety of the classic caprese, but replace the tomato with plums, and you've got an hors d'oeuvres that will knock the socks off your dinner guests. (via The Tomato Tart)
2. Basil Hummus: Pesto is perfect, but this hummus is a heartier way to enjoy your pine nuts and basil. The roasted garlic in this cool, creamy spread gives an unexpected layer of flavor. (via Ellen in the Kitchen)
3. Nectarine + Basil Shortbread: This not-too-sweet tart screams summer but we could eat it all year. It starts with a killer shortbread and a spread of pastry cream that gets piled high with fruit and herbs. (via Noble Pig)
4. Grilled Pizza With Cheesy Corn + Basil: A list of basil recipes wouldn't be complete without a pizza, and this one knocks it out of the park. The traditional toppings get turned up a notch with the addition of corn. (via Martha Stewart)
5. Basil Ice Cream: The best thing about this ice cream is that it features a basil flavor explosion. The second best thing about it is that you don't even need an ice cream maker to enjoy it! (via Wine and Glue)
6. Thai Basil Fried Rice: Give your basil a Thai twist with this mouthwatering fried rice recipe. This meal will transport your taste buds to Thailand and fill your home with an incredible herbal fragrance. (via 365 Days of Eating)
7. Cucumber, Mint + Basil Mocktail: We've shared this mocktail recipe with you before but we can't get enough of the herb and cucumber combination. Plus, it feels super festive even sans liquor. (via Food52)
8. Lemon Basil Potato Salad: This isn't your grandmother's potato salad. Featuring a unique combination of lemon and basil, this recipe will make you want to go to a backyard barbecue stat. (via The Pioneer Woman)
9. Lime Basil Bundt Cake: Since we can't get enough of the citrus-basil combination, this bundt cake is a must. Minced basil steeps in milk before being poured into this batter, creating an out-of-this-world dose of the herb in every bite. (via The Spiced Life)
10. Sweet Potato Fries + Basil Salt: These stellar sweet potato fries get a generous sprinkling of basil salt just before hitting your tongue. Add a lemon garlic dipping sauce, and it becomes the snack you'll want to devour every day. (via Willow Bird Baking)
11. Spinach + Basil Stuffed Pork Tenderloin: Cut into this juicy pork loin to uncover a mouthwatering combination of basil and spinach. The entree celebrates everything you love about fresh herbs in an unforgettable pork package. (via Betty Crocker)
14. Ricotta, Lemon, Basil + Honey Bruschetta: Four fresh ingredients top a simple piece of toast to create a killer appetizer. This bruschetta features a sweet and savory combo that is simply magical. (via Martha Stewart)
17. Basil Vinaigrette: Make this dressing, and you'll be finding lots of extra ways to add salads into your diet. The delightful mixture of herb, vinegar and citrus create the perfect finisher for almost every dish. (via The Cowgirl Gourmet)
19. Basil + Brussels Sprout Mac and Cheese: There's nothing that says comfort quite like mac and cheese. This version feels extra sophisticated with basil and brussels sprouts mixed in. (via Brit + Co.)
20. Caprese Skewers: If you have four basic ingredients and some toothpicks, you have what it takes to make these smart, simple appetizers. Start your next meal with them, and you'll forget you're not on an Italian vacation. (via Terri's Table)
Check out Brit + Co's Food page for more recipe inspo!
This article has been updated from a previous post.