13 Creative Celebrity Baby Names That Aren’t Crazy
There are many shades of cool, especially when it comes to baby names, ranging from classy classics to surprising concepts. While most celebs tend to go the REALLY unique baby name route (hello, Pilot Inspektor!), a few have chosen names that tread the line between creative and unusual. Scroll on to discover 13 celebrity baby names that might just inspire your new favorite baby name.
1. ApolloBowieFlynn: We’ve dubbed the whole No Doubt band as Best Musical Group Baby-Namers, led by vocalist Gwen Stefani. After sons Kingston James McGregor and Zuma Nesta Rock came Apollo, classical god of music, truth, the sun, poetry and more. You can’t get much cooler than that.
2. Alaska: Best Uncharted Territory Prize goes to Russian model Anne Vyalitsyna, aka Anne V, who chose an unusual yet on-trend name for her daughter. With partner Adam Cahan, they became a triple-A-initial family.
3. Amélie Moon: We nominate actor Kevin Durand and wife Sandra Cho’s choice for the Sheer Beauty Award, for this luminous, moonstruck combo. Amelie, the French version of the popular Amelia, came to the US on the wings of the charming 2001 French film. Moon has become a bright new middle-name option, quirkily adorable.
4. Art: No contemporary actor is quirkier that Irishman Chris O’Dowd, so we’re not surprised that he would pick this almost comically blunt-sounding vintage nickname for Arthur. If you don’t know your Irish history, Art is the noble name borne by a number of legendary kings.
5. DeltaBell: Kristen Bell and Dax Shepard get the Most Surprising Siblings Citation for their diametrically different daughter names. First came a girl, who was given the presidential surname Lincoln in 2013, followed by the languid and lush, ultra-femme Delta, less than two years later.
6. EdithVivianPatricia: On a recent talk show, Cate Blanchett revealed the inspiration behind the names of her first three children: Roman, after director Polanski and the French word for novel, Dashiell from Dashiell Hammett and Ignatius, from a children’s Doctor Underpants book. But for her first daughter, adopted last winter, she went in an entirely different direction, combining three lovely, traditional appellations.
7. ElsieMarigold: Ioan Gruffudd and Alice Evans get the Cutest Combo Award for this double vintage choice. Elsie, until recently a dusty old Elizabeth nickname, is in the process of being polished up — it’s reached Number 32 in England and Wales. Marigold is a fresh new flower in the name garden. This latest little Gruffudd shared the El-beginning of her name with sister Ella Betsi.
8. Ophelia: Foo Fighter Dave Grohl, who was ahead of the starbaby pack with older daughters Violet Maye and Harper Willow, now gets the Best Shakespearean Choice Prize for using the lovely name of Hamlet’s tragic heroine.
9. PoppyLouise: We wouldn’t expect you to name your kid Gramps or Pop-pop, but Jenna Bush Hager was fortunate (and clever) enough to use the childhood nickname of her great-grandfather, George H. W. Bush, as the trending name of her second daughter. The middle name Louise, another family honor name, makes a nice, gentle counterpoint to the peppy Poppy, making this the Most Perfect Tribute Name.
10. SilasRandall: Jessica Biel and Justin Timberlake looked back into their family history and chose the middle name of Justin’s maternal grandfather as the baby’s first, while Randall is the middle name of both Timberlake and his dad, another solid choice with real meaning.
11. Valor: There are any number of virtue names for girls, but very few for boys. Actor Emile Hirsch managed to make this bold choice for his son, a name that had previously been seen only in comic books.
12. WinnieRose: There is just something so winning about Winnie, the name of Jimmy Fallon’s older daughter. We’re giving this old timey, endearing nickname for Winifred the Neatest Vintage Nickname Award. Runners-up are Drew Barrymore’s girl, Frankie (sister of Olive) and Max Greenfield’s Ozzie James.
13. ZephyrEmerson: This light and breezy name of the Greek god of the west wind was the interesting choice of tech entrepreneur and Facebook founding president Sean Parker, who also named his first daughter Winter Victoria.
What’s your favorite celeb baby name? Let us know in the comments below!
This post was previously published on Nameberry by Linda Rosenkrantz.
(Photo via Rich Polk/Getty)
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)