On Monday, NYC was attacked in what is being hailed as an act of terror that left eight people dead and nearly a dozen more injured after a man drove a truck into a Lower Manhattan bike lane before being apprehended. The tragedy understandably left the city shaken, including singer Josh Groban, who was near the scene at the time of the incident.
Joining him in expressing their heartfelt thoughts and well wishes for all involved were celebrities the world over, who took to social media to send their words of support, encouragement, and comfort to the residents of the resilient city. See what they had to say below.
1. Ryan Seacrest: The Live With Kelly and Ryan co-host, who films the show in the city, called the act out as cowardly while sending his best to the families of victims.
2. Mindy Kaling: The Mindy Project star sent some characteristically colorful affirmations to the city by using the#NYCStrong hashtag, reminding New Yorkers that “no one can touch you, you’re everything, you’re lit, you’re it.”
3. Lin-Manuel Miranda: “You are strong and full of everyday heroes,” Lin Manuel-Miranda tweeted to the city’s residents. “We’ll get through today and tomorrow and the next one.”
4. Zoe Saldana: The Guardians of the Galaxy actress voiced a bottom-line sentiment felt by many, tweeting that her “heart is broken.”
5. Billy Eichner: The incident hit very close to home for the Billy on the Street comedian, who noted that it occurred right beside his high school. “This is sad and horrifying,” he said.
6. David Harbour: The Stranger Things star called the events in his hometown “sad and unsettling,” and sent his best to his fellow New Yorkers.
7. Patricia Arquette: “Families will be mourning their loved ones tonight,” Arquette bluntly stated. “This… action is the worst of mankind.”
8. Common: The Chicago rapper celebrated the unbreakable spirt of the city, tweeting “Always #NYCStrong.”
9. Sam Smith: The singer called the scene “horrific,” saying his “heart is with [New York] always and forever.”
10. Josh Gad: “I can’t stomach this non-stop senseless hatred and violence,” Gad tweeted, speaking what many feel in a year of difficult tragedies.
11. Barack Obama: The former POTUS added his and Michelle’s to the voices praising the city for its strength, saying “New Yorkers are as tough as they come.”
12. Hillary Clinton: The former Presidential candidate and New York senator shared a similar sentiment, saying that “New York’s resilience is stronger than a cowardly act of terror,” while also praising the first responders and mourning the victims.
13. Mariah Carey: The singer shared her love through the iconic “I <3 NY” slogan.
14. Boy George: “You are a strong, vibrant, multicultural city and nothing will ever bring you down!” Boy George said, perfectly capturing the city’s spirit of strength.
15. Taylor Swift: Swift, who often spends time at her place in the city, shared a photo of the sun setting over NYC’s skyline with a caption that read “I love you New York,” including a broken-heart emoji.
16. President Trump: Trump offered up his “thoughts, condolences, and prayers to the victims, assuring that “God and your country are with you!”
Our thoughts and hearts also go out to the victims and their families.
How are you recovering in the wake of this latest terror attack? Share with us @BritandCo.
(Photo via Spencer Platt/Getty)