Celebrities Send Heartfelt Support to NYC Following the City’s Deadly Attack
On Monday, NYC was attacked in what is being hailed as an act of terror that left eight people dead and nearly a dozen more injured after a man drove a truck into a Lower Manhattan bike lane before being apprehended. The tragedy understandably left the city shaken, including singer Josh Groban, who was near the scene at the time of the incident.
Joining him in expressing their heartfelt thoughts and well wishes for all involved were celebrities the world over, who took to social media to send their words of support, encouragement, and comfort to the residents of the resilient city. See what they had to say below.
My heart goes out to those who have lost loved ones today in NYC. Such a cowardly act
— Ryan Seacrest (@RyanSeacrest) October 31, 2017
1. Ryan Seacrest: The Live With Kelly and Ryan co-host, who films the show in the city, called the act out as cowardly while sending his best to the families of victims.
Hey, New York City, no one can touch you, you’re everything, you’re lit, you’re it, I love you from 3000 miles away. #NYCstrong
— Mindy Kaling (@mindykaling) November 1, 2017
2. Mindy Kaling: The Mindy Project star sent some characteristically colorful affirmations to the city by using the#NYCStrong hashtag, reminding New Yorkers that “no one can touch you, you’re everything, you’re lit, you’re it.”
NY, I love you so much.
You are strong and full of everyday heroes and I love you.
We'll get through today and tomorrow and the next one.
— Lin-Manuel Miranda (@Lin_Manuel) November 1, 2017
3. Lin-Manuel Miranda: “You are strong and full of everyday heroes,” Lin Manuel-Miranda tweeted to the city’s residents. “We’ll get through today and tomorrow and the next one.”
My heart is broken. Sending prayers to all the victims who's lives were taken today in NYC
— Zoe Saldana (@zoesaldana) October 31, 2017
4. Zoe Saldana: The Guardians of the Galaxy actress voiced a bottom-line sentiment felt by many, tweeting that her “heart is broken.”
That's my high school in the picture. This is sad and horrifying. Sending love to everyone there. https://t.co/DWvZy5AdS1
— billy eichner (@billyeichner) October 31, 2017
5.Billy Eichner: The incident hit very close to home for the Billy on the Street comedian, who noted that it occurred right beside his high school. “This is sad and horrifying,” he said.
Unfolding tragedy in Manhattan today is awful, sad and unsettling. My love and strength to all my fellow New Yorkers.
— David Harbour (@DavidKHarbour) October 31, 2017
6. David Harbour: The Stranger Things star called the events in his hometown “sad and unsettling,” and sent his best to his fellow New Yorkers.
This is a terrible day. Families will be mourning their loved ones tonight. This is an action is the worst of mankind. #NYC
— Patricia Arquette (@PattyArquette) October 31, 2017
7. Patricia Arquette: “Families will be mourning their loved ones tonight,” Arquette bluntly stated. “This… action is the worst of mankind.”
Always #NYCStrong. I love the people of New York. My heart breaks for the people impacted by today's attack.
— COMMON (@common) November 1, 2017
8. Common: The Chicago rapper celebrated the unbreakable spirt of the city, tweeting “Always #NYCStrong.”
New York. My heart is with you always and forever. Devastating news. My soul and heart is with the victims and there loved ones x horrific
— Sam Smith (@samsmithworld) October 31, 2017
9. Sam Smith: The singer called the scene “horrific,” saying his “heart is with [New York] always and forever.”
Oh God. Just read about NYC attack. I can’t stomach this non-stop senseless hatred and violence. So sad for the city and all those affected.
— Josh Gad (@joshgad) October 31, 2017
10. Josh Gad: “I can’t stomach this non-stop senseless hatred and violence,” Gad tweeted, speaking what many feel in a year of difficult tragedies.
Michelle and I are thinking of the victims of today's attack in NYC and everyone who keeps us safe. New Yorkers are as tough as they come.
— Barack Obama (@BarackObama) November 1, 2017
11. Barack Obama: The former POTUS added his and Michelle’s to the voices praising the city for its strength, saying “New Yorkers are as tough as they come.”
New York's resilience is stronger than a cowardly act of terror. Thinking of the victims, their families, & the responders who saved lives.
— Hillary Clinton (@HillaryClinton) November 1, 2017
12. Hillary Clinton: The former Presidential candidate and New York senator shared a similar sentiment, saying that “New York’s resilience is stronger than a cowardly act of terror,” while also praising the first responders and mourning the victims.
— Mariah Carey (@MariahCarey) November 1, 2017
13. Mariah Carey: The singer shared her love through the iconic “I <3 NY” slogan.
God bless you New York. You are a strong, vibrant, multicultural city and nothing will ever bring you down! My heart is with you!
— Boy George (@BoyGeorge) October 31, 2017
14.Boy George: “You are a strong, vibrant, multicultural city and nothing will ever bring you down!” Boy George said, perfectly capturing the city’s spirit of strength.
15. Taylor Swift: Swift, who often spends time at her place in the city, shared a photo of the sun setting over NYC’s skyline with a caption that read “I love you New York,” including a broken-heart emoji.
My thoughts, condolences and prayers to the victims and families of the New York City terrorist attack. God and your country are with you!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) October 31, 2017
16. President Trump: Trump offered up his “thoughts, condolences, and prayers to the victims, assuring that “God and your country are with you!”
Our thoughts and hearts also go out to the victims and their families.
How are you recovering in the wake of this latest terror attack? Share with us @BritandCo.
(Photo via Spencer Platt/Getty)