We all know and love cherry pie, but sometimes you just want to mix things up a little bit. Turns out, cherries are the perfect addition to any dessert — their tartness is an ideal complement to all things chocolate, and they help tone down the sweetness of cookies and brownies. Whether you can’t get enough of the classic chocolate-cherry pairing or you want to make try making an ice cream version of cherry crumble, here are 16 perfectly pink desserts that go beyond pie.
1. Cherry Crumble Ice Cream: The combination of flavors and ingredients of this cherry ice cream makes it one to satisfy all tastes. A creamy mascarpone base is countered with the acidity of cherries and the occasional surprise piece of crumbly sweetness. (via Pemberley Cup and Cakes)
3. Cherry Cake: Surprise ingredient: cottage cheese. Perfectly moist and not teeth-achingly sweet, this cherry cake is the perfect answer for those who prefer not to mix chocolate and cherry. (via Disturbingly Delicious)
4. Double Chocolate Cherry Cheesecake French Toast: Breakfast or dessert? We’ll let you make that tough call. But if you do decide to make these for a special breakfast, it will only take you about ten minutes, so don’t let that long title deter you. (via Cafe Delites)
8. Black Forest Cupcakes: Cherries, chocolate and cream cheese frosting is one of the best combinations around. A light and airy cake soaks up the cherry syrup and has just enough sweetness to complement the whipped cream. (via Feed Your Temptations)
10. Dark Chocolate Cherry Oatmeal Cookies: Bits of dried cherries and gooey chocolate chips are irresistible inside of a thick, chewy oatmeal cookie. Even better, they’re gluten-free, vegan and full of healthy ingredients, so you could totally rationalize eating them for brekkie. (via Making Thyme for Health)
11. Almond Chocolate Cherry Pie Bars: Pie bars are like pie, but better. They’re easier to make than a traditional pie, they’re easier to cut, they’re easier to serve and the crust-to-filling ratio is way better. (via Crazy for Crust)
12. Chocolate Cake With White Mousse and Cherry Sauce: Delicate white chocolate mousse balances a supremely rich chocolate cake, and cherry sauce adds tart fruit flavor in every single bite of this gorg cake. (via Sweet and Savory by Shinee)
13. Cherry Cheesecake Chocolate Truffles: Instead of just filling these truffles with cherry, the cheesecake keeps things tart and not overly sweet. Plus they look real pretty when you bite them in half. (via Hungry Couple)
14. Bourbon Cherry Ice Cream: Delicious on an addictive level, this decadent ice cream is loaded with dark chocolate chunks and fresh bourbon cherries. Whether you eat it in hot weather or the dead of winter, this ice cream is a total winner. (via Oh Sweet Day)
16. Dark Chocolate Cherry S’mores: We all love the classic pairing of dark chocolate and cherries, and this s’more is a trendy version of the delectable duo. A quick and easy dessert, these are best made with fresh, in-season cherries. (via 40 Aprons)
What’s your favorite cherry dessert? Share your recipe ideas in the comments below!