Get Ready for a Book-Filled Weekend With These 12 DIY Projects
We believe that there is a DIY project to occupy almost every weekend. Food lovers spruce up their kitchen, designers figure out how to make the most of small spaces and some fashionistas even craft their own jewelry. If your favorite pastime involves escaping into a good book, then a fun book-inspired DIY project is just what you need. From fashionable pieces to furniture to art, these projects might just inspire you to turn off Netflix for the weekend in favor of a must-read.
2. Vintage Book Clutch: If you want to carry around a signature clutch, add a bit of personality by using your favorite classic book as the base. It’s not only fashionable, it’s the perfect conversation starter. (via Brit + Co)
3. Stack ’em Up: Since you read so much in bed, why not make your bedside table out of books? The modern white paint and disheveled stacking make this piece look like a high-end buy. (via True and Sania)
4. DIY Notebook: This cute notebook can be made in less than five minutes (yes, five!) with only a paper bag, string and some pens. It’s the perfect companion for jotting down thoughts as you read. (via The House That Lars Built)
7. Bookmark: Create your own love note with an adorable pocket bookmark that fits perfectly on the page you left off. Feel free to go wild with color blocking or even mix some patterns in for a stylish book accessory. (via Wake & Whimsy)
12. Cozy Reading Nook: You don’t need to have a designated space to create the perfect reading nook. This DIY hammock can go just about anywhere and it’s the perfect spot for spending an afternoon reading. (via A Beautiful Mess)
What are some library-chic DIY projects you’re excited to try? Tell us in the comments!
Back in January, we introduced you to a feel-good cause to inspire your New Year's resolution: a walking challenge to help raise funds for the amazing cancer fighters at The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. I took part in the challenge with the Brit + Co team and ended up walking 105+ miles in January — it was awesome.
This spring, there's a new challenge on the horizon, The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's Big Climb. The ask: On May 15, 2021, you can step up to take cancer down by committing to climb 1,311 steps, walking 3.2 miles, or doing 440 chair step-ups at home as part of the Big Climb. If you need some motivation to bring movement back into your daily routine — look no further!
As always, it's free to sign up, but climbers are encouraged to set a fundraising goal to help beat cancer. We'll be organizing another Brit + Co team to step up, and I hope you'll join us too! Keep scrolling for a peek at where I'll be completing the challenge in my Los Angeles neighborhood around the hidden Silver Lake Stairs. Happy climbing!
Never underestimate the power of an accountability buddy! I asked my in-laws, my partner, and a few friends to join me so we can keep each other motivated and accountable in completing the challenge — virtual high-fives all around! Also, my dog Fox is a great climber, too.
An aesthetically pleasing backdrop is a huge motivator for me! I'm fortunate to have all sorts of painted steps around my neighborhood to keep the challenge interesting, but you can also keep cool inside with at-home chair step-ups.
Don't forget to share your progress on social — #BigClimb!
Feel free to break the challenge up if you need to by tackling half the distance in the AM and half at sunset. Here's me 1,311 steps later and ready for a break — but, think I earned this one!