Smell that? That’s the scent of lemon, thyme, rosemary, allspice, any spice — you name it — wafting through your home after you give one of these DIY potpourri tutorials a try. So put down the Febreeze and freshen up your rooms the old-fashioned way. Unlike your grandma’s musty sachet of dried rose petals from 1982, we promise these 10 DIY potpourri combos will get your home smelling zesty and oh-so-good.
4. Nuts and Berries: Another classic cold-weather combo, the scent of nuts and dried fruit like citrus, juniper berries and apples in this potpourri recipe will definitely banish your winter blues. (via Hello Natural)
5. Soak It Up: The recipe for these “scented waters” involves simmering all the ingredients together and then storing in the fridge between uses. The perfumed water should keep a strong scent for about three days. (via The Yummy Life)
6. Winter Spice: Spice up the remaining cold winter months by whipping up this batch of cinnamon, cloves, star anise, apples and oranges. Simmer with a bit of water on the stove for a tantalizing, cold-weather scent. (via Julie Blanner)
7. Flower Power: Want to get better sleep or have more vivid dreams? This blog has tips on which flowers and herbs to mix together in potpourri to achieve either sleep option. (via The Mountain Rose Blog)
8. Crazy Good Combos: Yummy food blog The Kitchn has recommendations on which fruits, herbs and spices to simmer together to get your kitchen smelling heavenly. Try lavender, cloves, nutmeg and cardamom for a unique scent. (via The Kitchn)
Which potpourri combo are you dying to try? Tell us in the comments below!