When the family is out and about, Mom is often the go-to for just about everything. You forgot to eat? Maybe Mom has a snack. You need something to write with? Check with Mom. Someone got hurt? Mom might have just what you need. Of course, sometimes you might be lacking in supplies (hey, we’re not perfect). And other times, you may have forgotten to move the contents of one purse to another. Whether you’re a new mom or just switching bags, here are nine essential items that every mother should carry in her purse at all times.
1. Babyganics Baby Wipes ($12): There are dozens of baby wipe brands on the market, but Babyganics stands out from the rest. They’re sturdy, not too wet, and non-allergenic. You’ll use these to wipe down your kid daily, and sometimes, you’ll use them to wipe yourself down too.
2. Burt’s Bees Beeswax Lip Balm ($3): It seems like children are always getting chapped lips. Get them into the habit early of applying lip balm. Eventually, they’ll ask for it and do it all on their own (plus it’ll remind you to do the same).
3. Kleenex Facial Tissues ($4 for four-pack): Yes, you’ll always have baby wipes on hand. But sometimes what you need is a nice, dry tissue instead. These are great for wiping anything wet off hands or faces, including but not limited to snot.
4. Slant Tweezers ($4): Aside from coming to the rescue when you’ve got a stray hair that needs plucking, tweezers are also a must-have when you’re a mama. Take your kid to the playground and you’ll quickly learn that playing with mulch or climbing trees will often result in unpleasant splinters. Tweezers always save the day.
5. Babyganics Alcohol-Free Foaming Hand Sanitizer ($6): Kids are walking germ factories. Hand sanitizer is your best line of defense (especially during cold and flu season) when you’re not near a sink. If you’ve got very young children, you’ll want to invest in alcohol-free hand sanitizer like this Babyganics option.
6. Sharpie ($3 for two-pack): Sharpies aren’t for kids, but they’re useful in general. Not only do they come in handy when you need to jot down a quick note, they’re also perfect for marking your child’s territory. When you’re hitting the park with your tot’s favorite toy, you can write their initials on it to ensure that it doesn’t get mistaken for someone else’s. Same goes for clothing items and bags that get sent to school.
7. Perfect Protein Bar ($24 for eight): Sometimes, Mom runs out the door and forgets to eat. Sometimes, Mom is starving while trying to get her kid off the playground. Sometimes, Mom just needs a solid snack. Perfect Protein bars are absolutely delicious and packed with protein to keep you satiated until mealtime.
8. Kid Snacks: No mother ever leaves home without making sure there’s some kind of edible product in her bag for her kid. Snacks like these classic Pepperidge Farm Goldfish crackers ($7) buy you a little extra time when you’re out at the store and stave off any tiny grumbling stomach meltdowns.
9. Cartoon Band-Aids ($3): Scrapes and cuts happen all the time. For kids, though, out-of-sight often means out-of-mind. That’s why Band-Aids work wonders to soothe all the booboos — especially when they have your little one’s fave characters on them.
What other items do you need to keep on hand as a mom? Tweet us about it @BritandCo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.
(Featured photo via Getty)